How can my tap water less hard then my tank water. Help understand this.

You are clearly mistaken sir. I have been nothing but polite and a gentleman with mostly everyone on those forum except for you and one other person from a previous post.

I thank people when they give me feed back or information when I ask. You do give personal opinion sir and the science is questionable just like most sciences in this nature are. We're not talkin about physics or chemistry but even in those fields we have discovered new things or realize we were looking at things in the wrong way.

You completely ignored any thing I have said or gave you explanations. I am glad you have been in the hobby for a while but don't be so close-minded that your way is the only right way it is not a good way going through life.

There is no right way of doing something only a wrong way I don't know if you have an open mind to understand that. I am sure this will conclude our conversation and I would be very surprised if you join another one of my threads or posts. Good day sir. Sincerely Tony.

Some very useful information that will help you is three articles on Total Dissolved Solids that @Byron wrote. They're somewhere on this forum. Wish I could point you there but I don't know how. Anyway, I've kept fish quite a while too and always did OK but lately I'm playing with reverse osmosis water and my soft water fishes have responded very well. A proper understanding of TDS is prerequisite before going down this road.

Well may dad always told me if something's not broken don't try to fix it lol.

The whole point of this post was to ask why my tap water was softer than my tank water? The conclusion was it's my 20+ year-old lace rock that I had in this aquarium for 18 years. Plain and simple.

The other point was the pool company that uses the water scanner is very Hi-Tech and more accurate than the API test strips.

My conclusion do you think 2 DGH (degree general hardness) is a big difference for a fish's survivability!
My tank water on The pool guys scanner general hardness GH was 6.0 but on the API test strips my tank water was a 4.5

The bottom line caring for an aquarium is not chemistry your numbers just need to be within reason and consistent with your water parameters. Now I'm getting lectured that I don't clean my tank enough sorry I regressed. It was the lace Rock

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back