how can I increase my fish inches in this tank

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fishlips

Reaction score
As suggested by Alia (very good idea, thank you!), I'm starting a new subject as from my last........ okay, as I thought... cat fish DO count in the tank. :) So with that said, I would like to get more without over stocking my tank. Any advice?

I go by the inch of fish rule loosely. I have a 55 gallon that has been set up (and cycled) for 4 1/2 months. I'm happy with what I have in there, but would like to add some more corys. I currently have:

1 large Angel
3 New Guinea Rainbows
2 Bosemani rainbows
1 turquoise rainbow
2 male swordfish
2 male dwarf gouramis
3 baloon mollies
2 cory cats
1 pleco (which I bought knowing I'd be getting rid of him later. "rid of", I mean, donating back to the store).

My Ammonia is 0, nitrites are 0 and nirtrates are 0. I do 20-25% water changes with vacuuming once a week. I have an aquatech power filter. I was thinking of getting another filter to add to it, but wasn't sure if that would be too much? My tank "kit" was from Walmart and I had read that it wasn't all that great???? Thus far it's been fine....

I have one live plant....

Anyway....... I calculate my fish based on their adult sizes not their current sizes. Although I must say I get alot of different reports on size, so .. we'll see I guess!!! Like the rainbows I read are 3 inches as adults, but some other sites I read they get to 4 or 5! Hmmm?

IMO the easiest way to increase the number of fish, ie. add more Corys, is to add more filtration. A small internal filter like a fluval 2 should give you enough filtration to house a few more fish.

Hi fishlips

The trick to overstocking a tank is, as Pufferpack said, to add more filteration, but you also have to step up the tank cleaning to remove the solid fish waste.

Keep on top of water quality, and you will be ok. Let thing slip, and you will end up with sick/dead fish.

If you get a good external filter and do regular nitrate tests (at least once a week and possibly twice) and change water whenever you get a reading above 40ppm you will be fine (within reason),the stock you have is not excessive for a 55 and a few more fish wont hurt.

Thanks to everyone who replied. I'm going to look into another filter. I already test my water for everything regularly. I'm kinda obsessed about that actually. Plus, although, cycled, is still fairly new. I'm so excited, I'm gonna get me some more cory's this week. :)

i know this is fishlips' post but i have a aquaclear filter 2. i was wondering since i have dual aquaclear filter if the fish on my sig. will be overcrowded? Did it really take that long to cycle your tank. was it fishless cycle?

can some1 answer my question or do i have to make a new thread?

Fishdude,

That may be a good idea. I personally can't really answer your question about the filter/stocking....Sorry.

Also wasn't sure if your question about cycling was to... ME? If so, no, my tank didn't take 4 1/2 months to cycle, it's just been running for 4 1/2 months and it IS cycled. I justed wanted those who read to know that. It did take a little over 2 months though and no, it wasn't fishless. I had danios.

fishdude said:
i know this is fishlips' post but i have a aquaclear filter 2. i was wondering since i have dual aquaclear filter if the fish on my sig. will be overcrowded?
Your tank is on the border of being over stocked,thats a lot of gouramis you have there,i think that you may have some aggression problems in the future.Dont know about Aquaclear filters because we dont have them over here.

I have been playing with those ideas for quite some time... right now and for the past 6 months i have been messin around with 33 gal... it is heavly planted with homebrew c02 system..and 2 turbo sponge filters.....

Stock in this tank

60 neon tetra's
6 black neons
8 glo lite tetras
2 silvertipped tetras
2 Otocinclus
1 Huge weather loach... like 8 to 10 inches
5 bosemani rainbows 3 to 4 inches
1 austrailian rainbow
1 bala shark
1 irredesent shark

Now this load has been in the tank for 6 months... i have only used some plant fertilizer once and month.. and the occasional gravel clean.... 0 ammonia 0 to 0.5 nitrate....only at feeding

How does that twist your nickers

No worries...i am in middle of building new aquarium for these guys...as i have become quite accustom to seeing the noobie style fish

Ps also have 2 45's 1 90 1 33g{tester} and homebrew short/tall 55g i am building... for plants

It sounds to me like you are pretty active in keeping your tank clean and healthy, a few more cory cats are in your future :D

Go ahead, you've earned it.

ALASKA

LOL actually i spend more time cleaning cichlid tanks... i think the trick is the amount of live plants...let me put it this way...we both know this shouldnt werk LOL and i do not recommend this to anyone.. unless u wanna flush 200 bucks down the drain

Pufferpack said:
IMO the easiest way to increase the number of fish, ie. add more Corys, is to add more filtration. A small internal filter like a fluval 2 should give you enough filtration to house a few more fish.
waste of money. If overstocking is your thing. wet dry is the way to go. Since I doubt you have an overflow. Eheim makes a rocken good can / wet dry 2229. Get the prefilter and rinse it often (as with any wet dry prefilter).

For a 55 gallon tank, IMO the best filter is an emporer 400 with bio-wheel. You could add 10 more cories if you wanted too with this filter!

Most reactions

Back