How Big Do They Get?

twodoctors

Fishaholic
Reaction score
How big do the odessa and golden (chinese) barbs get? When I was researching I read 2 inches for both, then some sites said 3". I think I should move them to the big tank instead if they get that big and stay as active as they are now. They are about 1 inches at the moment.

Would pentazona barbs or cherry barbs be ok in my 2ft 90L tank? Any other suggestions (keeping it Asian and my pH is 7.8, so no tetras)?

Adrian

I wouldn't keep Odessa barbs in a 90L tank. These fish display typical barb behavior, that is they are very active and can be nippy and aggressive if you keep too few of them. My males got to 3 inches within a short time, and you need to keep at least 5 in the group. You can't use the inch per gallon rule here considering their bio-load and activity. I wouldn't keep them in less than 30 gallons or 115L. IME 90L would be too small.

It's the same with the gold barbs.

I wouldn't keep Odessa barbs in a 90L tank. These fish display typical barb behavior, that is they are very active and can be nippy and aggressive if you keep too few of them. My males got to 3 inches within a short time, and you need to keep at least 5 in the group. You can't use the inch per gallon rule here considering their bio-load and activity. I wouldn't keep them in less than 30 gallons or 115L. IME 90L would be too small.

It's the same with the gold barbs.

Thanks. If they will get to 3" then I'll have to move them to the 215L next month, when my tank has settled down a bit.

Any suggestions for the smaller tank?

Adrian

Rasboras? Such as Harlequins, Naked Micro and False Harlequins? All are very nice to look at and stay rather small, although the pH may be slightly too high for some species. I don't keep rasboras/barbs so I'm afraid other than knowing the kinda of size my knowledge is very limited.

Good Luck with your tank,
AmazonFTW

But is my bigger tank overstocked? Using the forbidden website, I would be 128% stocked if I move the barbs. I'm not worry about nitrate level as I have plenty of plants. More worried about swimming space. Would be happy to leave them where they are or move them. What do you suggest?

If I move them, what fish would go with the 4 honey gouramis and amano shrimps(and corys, not asian I know!) for an asian biotope? Thanks.

Adrian

Most reactions

Back