How Are They Still Alive?

I dose much higher then that 3 times a week with fertilizers.

you stole my thunder
tongue2.gif
laugh.gif

:lol: Super speed!

Without being a plant expert. I think so. Atleast its common to use fast growing plants in the first months of the tank to help absorve all the nutrients and prevent algae.
Even without plants, I've had no algae, even in uncycled tanks. The only thing remotely close to algae was this odd white stuff covering the tank walls, which my swordtails made their lunch quickly. It disappeared within a few days in both cases of tanks.

My lights are on overkill (though low lights) and no algae yet, but I need to keep an eye out, as I have planted 2 new mosses there, which might or might not carry algae on them. I don't see any yet though.

Potassium Nitrate...

I don't test for anything but ph anymore {unless I am cycling a tank} But if I were to test right after dosing the nitrates skyrocket. But because of the ammonia and nitrates in my tap water, Nitrates would never be below 20 ppm to start. That's before any fish waste or dosing. Some people have 45 ppm in their tap water.

I get some weird white stuff on the glass sometimes, too. Like small leaves affixed by a point that wave in the current - they're definitely a plant-like organism :unsure: Easily gotten rid of but I always find more after I change my water and have scrubbed the glass :look:

Potassium Nitrate...

I don't test for anything but ph anymore {unless I am cycling a tank} But if I were to test right after dosing the nitrates skyrocket. But because of the ammonia and nitrates in my tap water, Nitrates would never be below 20 ppm to start. That's before any fish waste or dosing. Some people have 45 ppm in their tap water.

Perhaps this book I have is somewhat outdated, then. I'll find some more recent literature! :good: I do refuse to believe that nitrates are entirely harmless to fish, there has to be a point where the water is saturated with nitrates so much so that the fish can't cope and it becomes toxic. :blink: Where would you put this cut off point?

I get some weird white stuff on the glass sometimes, too. Like small leaves affixed by a point that wave in the current - they're definitely a plant-like organism :unsure: Easily gotten rid of but I always find more after I change my water and have scrubbed the glass :look:
The stuff I got twice was like white dust. Not leaves.
Then the second weird stuff appeared after I brought 2 apple snails in. They looked like round jellyfishes (definitely NOT hydras though, they didn't have branches) and whenever a fish swam by them, they were moved by the current. My apple snails enjoyed eating them. Then those things disappeared 3 days later. They weren't pest snail eggs either, I just saw some eggs of ramshorns recently, and they look like caviar if anything. So those jelly blobs were not snail eggs either.

I'm not sure on a cut off point. I think the best answer personally is that the longest my tank would go without a water change would be 2 weeks {If I am on vacation} The levels wouldn't be toxic in that time. When dosing ferts I have to do a 50% a week so I will never find out what level would kill off my fish :lol:

A friend of mine has a tank. He has lost interest in fishkeeping and is hoping his fish will die. Yet, they live on.
I do everything in my power to keep my fish alive and yet, I've lost fish. I too would love to know why some fish live and some don't.

So what you're saying is that fish are like women?

Some fish can tolerate much higher than a reading of 100. As for the thick covering of algae, I'd say there's where a good bit of the nitrates are going.

Most reactions

Back