How Are They Still Alive?

Oh grandpa what did you do this time? lol :lol:

My dad has one of these mystery tanks... Two geriatric Oscar and a almost as old unidentifiable to me 7-8 inch cat, He follows the same keeping routine he learned in the70's.
He swears the fish are all over15 now. I don't argue as I remember these fish from way back.
He was over today to have me tune his chainsaw.. While checking out my tanks he commented..nice and clear, you using charcoal?"
I replied,"No", and proceeded to explain my cycle, weekly changes and how to fish less cycle...
He blurted"your gonna kill em all, your water will be all wrong".
Rather than explain that the water itself isn't my main concern but rather a properly cycled filter to facilitate the proper conditions I ran a full test on my most mature tank and replied after.. " Dad, your way works for you, I respect that. But as you can see ......
The conversation lasted more than 2 hours.
He is Not converted, and I respect that
He did agree however to let me come over and test his water, I am so curious as to what the results will be.

Very interested to see how his water checks out. My first instinct tells me it'll probably be fine if it's heavily planted and has it's own eco system going but if it's not - perhaps the fish have just grown a natural immunity to a certain level of toxins in the water?

Ok, so I found my way over to get a sample of water from his tank.
I really should have thought to get a photo or 2
The test results are an astonishing:
PH 7.4
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 60ppm

he is running a under-gravel filter and a bubble wall nothing more.
His last water change was over 4 months ago, all he does is top off when evaporation takes some...

There is a Distinct fishy smell to his tank and a noticeable brown/green film of algae over everything including gravel.
I could clearly see where the front of the tank has been cleared of the algae.
In my opinion it looks dingy and depressing but the inhabitants (the monsters that they are) are alive and responsive.

More power to ya Dad, I myself will keep with the weekly changes thank you very much.

Are nitrates above 45ppm not toxic to fish? :blink:
That's my understanding as well but I imagine these have grown accustomed or resistant I suppose.
Something is keeping them down a bit as after 4 months i would expect them to be off the charts.
I'll not change his mind no matter how hard I try.

Possibly, any plant experts out there? :p I think this calls for some reading and googling!
I've read that stuff such as Cabomba, Water Sprite and Hornwort are huge nitrate (and ammonia) eaters. Not sure about Java Fern, but the freaking thing is growing like crazy.
And I wonder about Java and Willow moss...
That's my setup for now, and I don't have a nitrate tester yet, pondering whether I should get one or save money for something else, such as a new filter or something.

Without being a plant expert. I think so. Atleast its common to use fast growing plants in the first months of the tank to help absorve all the nutrients and prevent algae.

I dose much higher then that 3 times a week with fertilizers.

you stole my thunder
tongue2.gif
laugh.gif

Most reactions

Back