Hot Tap Water

Skins

A new swimmer in the tank
Reaction score
Hi,
Is it ok to use hot water from the tap when mixing with cold water for water changes?
This question is reference to fishless cycling.

Skins.

Does the hot water come from a cylinder fed from a cold header tank in the attic? Before you use the hot tapwater, check there is nothing disgusting lurking in the header tank. It's been known for dead rotting birds, mice etc to be in them. We've only had dead wasps in ours, but as they were probabaly poisoned by the stuff the man put down to kill them when he removed the nest up there, I don't risk using hot tap water. Any insecticide is probably long gone, but better safe than sorry in my case.

Does the hot water come from a cylinder fed from a cold header tank in the attic? Before you use the hot tapwater, check there is nothing disgusting lurking in the header tank. It's been known for dead rotting birds, mice etc to be in them. We've only had dead wasps in ours, but as they were probabaly poisoned by the stuff the man put down to kill them when he removed the nest up there, I don't risk using hot tap water. Any insecticide is probably long gone, but better safe than sorry in my case.
It's a combi boiler

In that case, use hot tap water. It comes straight from the mains supply.

It's a combi boiler

In that case, use hot tap water. It comes straight from the mains supply.

Lol I agree, and I use our hot water all the time :)

I use a combi boiler and never had any problems.

Thanks for all your replies, water changes will be so quicker not having to wait for it to boil in a pan or kettle.

Skins.

I mix my hot water straight from the combi along with cold water, so i can get it close as possible to my tanks temp. Been doing that over 8 months and all my fish are doing fine.

I mix my hot water straight from the combi along with cold water, so i can get it close as possible to my tanks temp. Been doing that over 8 months and all my fish are doing fine.
Thanks Dan

I still have an immerser heater on what I presume will be a copper hot water tank. Pipes also copper. Would I be safer boiling my water in case there are traces of copper in my hot supply? Been using the kettle so far but it means boiling it about six or seven times when changing both tanks :eek:(

Most reactions

Back