Hopefully The Birth Of Another Tanganyikan Setup!

Dodders

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
As threatened in the welcome thread...

I'm returning to the hobby after far too many years away and have finally got around to dusting off the old tank and equipment. Wasn't really sure what kind of setup to go for but having hunted around the web and spent a lot of time looking through the forums, I've really taken a fancy to a small Tanganyikan community. We have fairly hard tap water and I thought it might work quite well, they look like fascinating fish too.

A few days ago I knew nothing about Tangs, now I know far too many 'bits', many of which conflict so I could do with a bit of advice please! I know this sort of thing has been covered several times but my long thin tank is confusing me!

The tank I have is 48x12x15 inches (only about 30 imp. gallons I think). It's not large by anyone's standards but I'm pushed for space and can't sensibly fit anything bigger without falling foul of the guv'nor ;) . Filter is an Ehiem 2213 external. I was anticipating using something like ocean rock and shells towards the rear of the tank at the two ends with a sandy centre to try and create separate territories.

In a perfect world I'd like to accomodate something like half a dozen Paracyprichromis nigripinnis, a trio or so of Lamprologus ocellatus and Lamprologus caudopunctatus. Is this too much, is it a bloodbath waiting to happen, or might it just work? Any input welcome!

Many thanks, Bruce

Welcome aboard, sounds like you've done your homework. Tank set up sounds really good, go for it :good:
:fish:

Another one for the Tang Team :D :lol: :lol:

Welcome to TFF Dodders and you obviously have good taste if you`ve chosen Tangs :D :D I look forward to seeing how things progress :good:

Thanks all for the reassurances - looks like I'm on the right track. Watch this space!

Progress report no. 1 - or perhaps it should be called "Step backwards no. 1"...

Noticed one tank seam split - humph. Have cut a glass fillet and invested in a cartridge of Aqua Mate silicon. Now I have to wait until everyone else is out so as to avoid complaints about the smell... :rolleyes:

Just out of interest having had a bit of a hunt around, it seems that the Paracyps are not the easiest of fish to come by. When it comes to fish-buying time if I can't source any, what might make a nice "pretty-but-interesting" substitute for the mid/upper water?

Cheers, Bruce

Progress report no. 1 - or perhaps it should be called "Step backwards no. 1"...

Noticed one tank seam split - humph. Have cut a glass fillet and invested in a cartridge of Aqua Mate silicon. Now I have to wait until everyone else is out so as to avoid complaints about the smell... :rolleyes:

Just out of interest having had a bit of a hunt around, it seems that the Paracyps are not the easiest of fish to come by. When it comes to fish-buying time if I can't source any, what might make a nice "pretty-but-interesting" substitute for the mid/upper water?

Cheers, Bruce

I can refer you to an online supplier that has boyh Nigripinnis (blue neon) LFS should also be able to source these, and they are also bringing in a rarer strand of Brieni :drool:
What else were you thinking of stocking ?
Still going for punks and shellies ? Cyps would work also :good:

Thanks - yes, was still thinking of punks and shellies. Sounds like the Paracyps might be easier than I thought - won't worry just yet then! Had originally thought of Cyps but liked the look of the Paracyps more.

Cheers, Bruce

Thanks - yes, was still thinking of punks and shellies. Sounds like the Paracyps might be easier than I thought - won't worry just yet then! Had originally thought of Cyps but liked the look of the Paracyps more.

Cheers, Bruce

Yeah they are nice , they were my first choice, Nigripinnis "blue neon" , very nice against dark slate with subtle lighting, very querky behaviour also :good:

I really need to stop reading this section of the Forum.
I am soooooooo tempted to get a Tang setup :hey:

Hi guys,

Like you Dodders, I am dusting off the ole tank and setting up a tang tank. I also have been doing some research on these and have recently started to make my own 3D background to provide the caves the fish like. I have read too much information on Lake Tang and have found that there are several main groups of tangs in the lake. Trying to replica just one of these groups of fish from tang has become confusing. Has anyone any experience of making there own background who could give me advice on what to stock in a rocky environment rather than the more open environment from the middle of the lake? I am wanting to add a few plants which I do realise aren't strictly necessary but again I am sticking to African plants only. I am now worried that my background is going to take up too much space in my tank. My tank is 3' x 18" x 15". The background is only at the back of the tank but overhangs as I have tried to mimic a cliff effect so comes out at the top of the tank at one side by 12" of the 15". Is that too big would you say?? Sorry to kidnap your post :) Jane

OMG, if this trend continues then LFS will have to rethink their Cichlid stocking list!

No longer shall the Tanganyikan's be hiding in just a couple of token tanks in the corner while Malawis (same shapes just different colours) occupy all the main tanks.

:lol:

I really need to stop reading this section of the Forum.
I am soooooooo tempted to get a Tang setup :hey:

Go on mate you know you want to, I've just set up my 4th tank and guess what's going in it :lol:
Nah seriously, Tangs are really cool :cool:

Hi guys,

Like you Dodders, I am dusting off the ole tank and setting up a tang tank. I also have been doing some research on these and have recently started to make my own 3D background to provide the caves the fish like. I have read too much information on Lake Tang and have found that there are several main groups of tangs in the lake. Trying to replica just one of these groups of fish from tang has become confusing. Has anyone any experience of making there own background who could give me advice on what to stock in a rocky environment rather than the more open environment from the middle of the lake? I am wanting to add a few plants which I do realise aren't strictly necessary but again I am sticking to African plants only. I am now worried that my background is going to take up too much space in my tank. My tank is 3' x 18" x 15". The background is only at the back of the tank but overhangs as I have tried to mimic a cliff effect so comes out at the top of the tank at one side by 12" of the 15". Is that too big would you say?? Sorry to kidnap your post :) Jane

I'm kidnapping it also, I'm looking forward to seeing the background, like the idea of the overhang, if you're going for Paracyprichromis they will especially love it :good:

OMG, if this trend continues then LFS will have to rethink their Cichlid stocking list!

No longer shall the Tanganyikan's be hiding in just a couple of token tanks in the corner while Malawis (same shapes just different colours) occupy all the main tanks.

:lol:

As above, it has been getting busier over here lately :good:

Most reactions

Back