Hope I don't offend anyone...

Sorrell

If you're a bird, I'm a bird
Reaction score
It seems like I'm always reading about people who buy fish knowing full well that they won't be able to house them when they grow, and just plan to get rid of them when they're older. Or, people who decide they want to go a different direction with their tank so they get rid of all the inhabitants and start over. I'm sorry, but I really don't get this. Maybe I'm just a softie, but I see my fish as pets and not furniture that I can remodel whenever I get bored. I'm not trying to piss anyone off, I was just wondering if I was the only one who felt this way.

yea i know what u r saying m8, but i had 4 tiger barbs and 2 plattys and the tigers ate the plattys fins so the only reason i gave my tigers was for the plattys so that they are not stressed and scared anymore.

i can still see my tigers coz they are at my cousins across the road from me and are happy.

who ever buys a fish should decide wisley which fish they are going to buy

You're not, and you probably know that.

Most of those people you're talking about probably don't care for the fish. They probably keep them as ornaments or as a "cheap" substitute for a cuddly pet.

It's wrong, but you can't police people and get them to care for their animals. :/

As for those people who tear down their tanks and start over, I think that the only time people do that is when their tanks are really badly diseased and when all of the inhabitants die. Those people who do it because they want a change should not be doing it. :no:

yeah i got my first and current fish without any research but i couldn't give them back cause i became very atached in the first week ended up spending lot's more money for a new tank, maybe other peoples fish are jus boring

I buy fish i will have to upgrade for whats wrong with that!?

I fail to see your argument. The fish dont get attached to me, it bothers them not one bit if they move to a different tank.

I have my tanks as a hobby, they are decoration, fun to watch and care for. I like my fish, but dont grow attached to them like i do my dog for instance. Its not because they are any less of an animal, they are just a different kind.

For me, i really care about my cars, I was really upset when someone crashed into (and wrote off) my pride and joy. I spent thousands of pounds on a rare car, had it all prepared and modified to my own specification. Some people think its silly getting attached to cars.

I just cant "love" my fish, i can appreciate their beauty, and will care for them as any living being deserves, but dont ask me to love them!

I will upgrade my tanks for the fish that require it, so whats the problem? A lot of people for instance (myself included) want to be able to have Oscars. Now i can house them fine at their current size, and was confident setting up a tank of that size. However when they get too large i will be returning one, and setting up a larger tank. This makes perfect sense as i feel eash time i run a slightly bigger tank i better understand the next larger tank.

Sorrell was saying that these people get rid opf the fish when they get bigger, not move them to another tank.

I'm not sure if I said that, but if it sounded like that I didn't mean it that way.

As for not getting attached to your fish, the same goes for me. But neither you nor any person who even remotely cares for the fish would just toss them as soon as they get too big.

I think its ok to get a fish that will grow to big for you tank. Some people dont have the funds to keep large fish but would still like the experience of having them even if it is just for a while. Then they can get rid of them. I dont mean kill them, just pass them on to someone who does have the funds to house them.

But I would never get rid of my fish just cause I wanted something new. I can see where you are coming from on that.

when you return a fish ther is a good chance it will get sold to a novice and crammed into a tank smaller than it left

IMHO

Opcn

Its about as broad as it is long really cause if you dont buy it it could be dead in a couple days and not enjoy any life because of a novice. Im not wanting to argue just letting you know where im coming from. I see your point too. :thumbs:

I read up on anything I get for my tanks before I get it. I find people that have the fish I want or have the filter. If I want a fish I can’t keep happy I bet a tank just for the fish then get the fish I wanted.

I think it would help if all LFS would have a book on the counter that you could look up your fish and find out some good info on it before you paid for it. I know that a lot of people selling fish don’t know anything about the fish they are selling.

When I buy fish I buy them to fit the tanks I have at their fully grown size...not what they are when bought....and I don't buy more than I can fit and say "I will get a bigger tank when the time comes"....if you don't have a bigger tank to start with then don't buy fish for the bigger tank you plan on getting down the track....buy the fish when you have the right size tank!!

Down here in Florida there is big problem with plecos getting into the springs and latching onto the manatees. Last year during the winter I went to check out the springs around here and the plecos are at least 2 feet each and there are tons of them.

Before assuming that your LFS is dying to take in all your overgrowns, let me tell you what is was like at the one I worked at, and the feelings were mutual when we would go to expos and conventions and such.
We got between two and ten dumper fish a day, and I'm not talking about fry that people had bred, but things like Oscars, Jacks, giant plecos, balas, etc. These fish (at least around here) are hard to sell. Many people do not have the housing for them and others don't want to buy an "older fish" that will be hard to integrate into their tanks. There were Oscars at the store that we had for years and the whole time we had to feed and maintain them out of our own pocket. There were also times when at all employee's homes we would have five to six Oscars each because there was simply no more room at the store. I think many customers thought they were doing us a huge favor by bringing in new stock, but actually they just came off as selfish, irresponsible owners.
Personally, I think that grow-out tanks are great as long as you have a tank that they are moving to as soon as they can hold their own. :nod:
Drob-I wasn't talking about you personally, but I predict many many water changes in your future...that or another tank!

I agree with you completely. Fish are living things, they might not be able to build a fire or a computer, but they're alive. You can't just get rid of them like that.

Most reactions

Back