Home Made Food.

eggy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
the best i've made is just dried ambulia, but the fish still think it's the best food in the world!
but thay shoild have some variety in there diet so what are some good home nade foods that you sometimes use for your fish or you've read somewhere eg. the net/ books.

sorry if idon't make sence but i am very s l o w this morning

My LFS keep there fish very healthy and one day when i was in the store he had a tub of food that looked rotten but smelt good so i asked him what it was and it was his own fish food recipe

Beefs heart

krill fish

blood worm

2 cloves of garlic All blended together the fish loved it they all went mad for it

yes i've heard of beefs heart but i've also heard that it isn't good for your fish!

yes i've heard of beefs heart but i've also heard that it isn't good for your fish!

id have to agree with Eggy there. i read somewhere (im pretty sure on this forum) that if you feed your fish meat it should only be beefs heart cause it has no fat or very very low fat, but then it said that this should only be once in a while....

Marine mix is commonly used here.
Add some raw fish (white bait, etc), raw prawn/ shrimp, mussels (without the shell), squid or octopus and some spinach to a meat mincer.
Run it through the mincer a couple of times and then mix the stuff up in a bowl. Put some of the mixture into a plastic freezer bag and flatten it out so it is thin (no more than a couple of mm thick). Then freeze it. You can use ice cube trays instead and simply add the mixture to the trays. Freeze and then put the frozen blocks into a bag or container and keep frozen until needed.

You can add other meats too if you like but try to stay with marine/ fish based meats.
You can also use spinach or any other vegetable, or you can make the mix up without any veges. Some people make up a vegetable mix for their herbivorous fishes.
Depending on how big your fish are will determine how many times you put the mixture through the mincer. For small fishes like tetras you might need to mince it 3 or 4 times. For bigger fishes like medium sized South American cichlids, it might only have to be done once or twice.

----------------------------------------------------

I collect aphids from the roses when they are available. I also swat flies and mozzies and feed them to the fish.

You can culture daphnia in containers outside under a tree. You often get mozzie larvae in the same cultures.

My LFS keep there fish very healthy and one day when i was in the store he had a tub of food that looked rotten but smelt good so i asked him what it was and it was his own fish food recipe

Beefs heart

krill fish

blood worm

2 cloves of garlic All blended together the fish loved it they all went mad for it

If it looked rotten and contained fish food HOW HOW HOW did it smell good???

I make my own gel food and all of my fish like it.

1- 3 oz package of salmon
1 small package of broccoli cooked
1 jar of sweet potatoe baby food
1 jar of peas baby food
1 cooked zuccini cooked
mix together in a blender

Mix 1 cup boiling water (I use the water from cooking the veggies)
2 packs of knox gelaton

pour into veggie and meat mixture and blend
pour onto cookie sheet let set in freezer for 30 minutes, cut into cubes and put into baggies in freezer

or pour just enough mixture into baggies to make desired thickness making a flat pack, freeze, slice off as much as needed.

You can add more protein to this mixture, like a little beef heart, sardines or white fish.

Beefs heart

krill fish

blood worm

If it looked rotten and contained fish food HOW HOW HOW did it smell good???
LOl was the garlic that smelt good i love garlic ha ha

Most reactions

Back