Holes in my betta's fins!

I would add a sponge to the end of that filter intake ASAP. They sell them on Amazon.com, and are pretty cheap.

I doubt it’s the gravel, most bettas are fine with gravel. Is it just me, or is the water cloudy?
Okay, I'll look into getting a sponge! The warer is not cloudy, I just made a plastic 'camera cover thing' that I forgot to take off for that picture. It makes everything extra pale. I'll try to do the water changes, too! Thank you!

Okay, I'll look into getting a sponge! The warer is not cloudy, I just made a plastic 'camera cover thing' that I forgot to take off for that picture. It makes everything extra pale. I'll try to do the water changes, too! Thank you!
Oh ok, it just looked that way.

You need to do daily water changes, no exceptions. It’s just like humans taking medications. If they take it one day and not the next, or skip 2 or 3 days, they may get out of the rotation of the medicine, and it could make things worse. Daily water changes are your best bet at this point.

Oh ok, it just looked that way.

You need to do daily water changes, no exceptions. It’s just like humans taking medications. If they take it one day and not the next, or skip 2 or 3 days, they may get out of the rotation of the medicine, and it could make things worse. Daily water changes are your best bet at this point.
Yes.
Although today I noticed something else. Over his left eye, there is white stuff coming out of/on his head! Yesterday it was just a slightly raised scale, and I dismissed it as nothing. Is it another infected injury?! Please help!
20201011_202158.jpg
20201011_201501.jpg
20201011_201923.jpg

Sorry, the pictures aren't the best.

Does it look like it’s coming out from under the raised scale? Does it look fuzzy? Does it look attached?

You could add some Indian Almond Leaves. Bettas love them and I think they can help a bit with fin rot. They also lower the PH naturally if I'm not mistaken. You could put in some java fern or frogbit relatively easily which would help.

Does it look like it’s coming out from under the raised scale? Does it look fuzzy? Does it look attached?
That spot looks kind of scale-less at the moment. It is fuzzy. Is it some sort of fungal infection? I'm about to do today's water change. The fuzzy thing is attached, but it is flatter than it was yesterday. I'm just about to do today's water change.

You could add some Indian Almond Leaves. Bettas love them and I think they can help a bit with fin rot. They also lower the PH naturally if I'm not mistaken. You could put in some java fern or frogbit relatively easily which would help.
I have a couple little java ferns, but I don't have any fertilizer, so I think they are slowly dieing. I've heard about the almond leaves lowering pH, but not helping with fin rot. I'll look into it.

That spot looks kind of scale-less at the moment. It is fuzzy. Is it some sort of fungal infection? I'm about to do today's water change. The fuzzy thing is attached, but it is flatter than it was yesterday. I'm just about to do today's water change.

I have a couple little java ferns, but I don't have any fertilizer, so I think they are slowly dieing. I've heard about the almond leaves lowering pH, but not helping with fin rot. I'll look into it.

My java ferns were all dying and then I bought the fertilizer from Aquarium Co Op which is super easy and now my java ferns are all thriving.

Last edited:
My java ferns well all dying and then I bought the fertilizer from Aquarium Co Op which is super easy and now my java ferns are all thriving.
Oooooo! :drool:

I just finished the water change. I've never done such a big one before, though. Is it okay that I did it all at once? Or should I taken out half, filled it up, and then taken out the rest of the 75% and filled it up again?

It's fine to do it all at once, as long as you are making sure the water replacing isn't too different from the water you took out (dechlorinator/temperature/etc). I personally try to do water changes of about 30% at a time, just because I don't want to risk any large swings in parameters. (It's complicated but I use RO water and because I have things in my aquariums that raise PH/GH/KH, I want to avoid possible large swings on that front). But I think most people on here do up to 75% at a time without problems. So as long as the water going in is not drastically different from the water going out, it should be fine.

It's fine to do it all at once, as long as you are making sure the water replacing isn't too different from the water you took out (dechlorinator/temperature/etc). I personally try to do water changes of about 30% at a time, just because I don't want to risk any large swings in parameters. (It's complicated but I use RO water and because I have things in my aquariums that raise PH/GH/KH, I want to avoid possible large swings on that front). But I think most people on here do up to 75% at a time without problems. So as long as the water going in is not drastically different from the water going out, it should be fine.
Okay. I know the pH is the same in my tap, I'll test everything else later today.

Do you have Indian almond leaves? Or even oak or beech leaves from outside (dried)
I ran out of alder cones this round and dont have meth blue or Indian almond leaves atm, so I used oak leaves this time and had same results as my usual methods too.

When I was just browsing the threads, I found this. Somebody suggested almond leaves, so would osk work, too? I have an iak tree.

Oak leaves can be helpful, yes. Just be sure they're dried and fallen naturally off the tree, and no pesticides

160263121533874196627270234641.jpg

Okay, this is what I was able to scavenge. I think they are from last year, though, because there are only two red leaves on the whole tree. Do they look good?

I just finished today's water change. Should I rinse the leaves before putting them in? And how many should I put in?

Most reactions

Back