Holes in my betta's fins!

Alis

Reaction score
Hello, a couple days ago I noticed some holes is my koi plakat's fins. A little later I noticed a 'rip', or part of his bottom fin that was gone. Is this fin rot?? Please help!

pH: 8.1
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrites: 0 ppm
Nitrates: 7 ppm

Two weeks ago, I finally mastered the nitrate test and got some actual results. The nitrates were around 30 ppm! I have been doing 20% - 30% water changes, and after today's water change I got it down to 7. So maybe that caused this?

He is in a ten gallon heated and filtered tank with one chilli rasbora, a java loach, a nerite snail, and some pest snails. (Yes, this is bad stocking.)

Anyone?

Pictures:
20201009_184318.jpg

20201009_185058.jpg

Last edited:
I did a water change earlier today and tested the nitrates. All the other results are from the 4th of October.

I think that the ph is to high it needs to be closer to 7.0
Yes, the pH is really high. :(
It is the pH of my tap. I've heard that it is better to keep the pH stable, though. What would/should I do? I don't really want to use any pH down chemicals.

Just wait and some of the Betta experts will come on and give you advice
Okay. Do you know of any easy and stable way to lower pH? It really annoys me, haha.

I always like to make sure there is a lot of plants, that will shift the ph, but also by making the water softer so by adding peat will soften the water and drive the ph down. This all takes time. Other members have different ideas. Make sure that you have a natural neutral base in the tank. Nothing like crushed coral or limestone.

Okay, it's a pretty sad looking tank as it is. I've been daydreaming about just redoing the whole thing. You're motivating me. Thank you, I'll keep saving up!

Nobody mentioned that betta are solitary fish that are best kept alone...sorry if you knew that already.
I've had 2 of the koi and loved them.
If I get another betta I'll most likely get another of these... :fish:

Nobody mentioned that betta are solitary fish that are best kept alone...sorry if you knew that already.
I've had 2 of the koi and loved them.
If I get another betta I'll most likely get another of these... :fish:
Yes, I know. :)
But despite this guy being a plakat, which are known to be extra aggressive because they are faster, he has never showed any aggression towards any of his tankmates.

Looks like the start of fin rot. It’s possible he is or will be developing fin rot, because he has had a recent injury to his fins. I suggest 75%+ per day, for a week. If should clear it up.

Are there any sharp rocks/plants/driftwood in the tank? What type of filter do you have?

Looks like the start of fin rot. It’s possible he is or will be developing fin rot, because he has had a recent injury to his fins. I suggest 75%+ per day, for a week. If should clear it up.

Are there any sharp rocks/plants/driftwood in the tank? What type of filter do you have?
I have some spider wood which could be sharp. The top of the filter says 'AQUQ-Tech 5-14' it is not a sponge filter, and is kind of strong. :( Maybe the gravel too?

20200805_164117.jpg

I have some spider wood which could be sharp. The top of the filter says 'AQUQ-Tech 5-14' it is not a sponge filter, and is kind of strong. :( Maybe the gravel too?

View attachment 119205
I would add a sponge to the end of that filter intake ASAP. They sell them on Amazon.com, and are pretty cheap.

I doubt it’s the gravel, most bettas are fine with gravel. Is it just me, or is the water cloudy?

shopping.jpeg
Here is the one I use and it's inexpensive.
The product is not intended for this problem, but it works. Some chain stores even sell them, you could call and ask first...
Also, if is slips down a zip tie works, just keep the end short and tucked away from your fish.
@PheonixKingZ
Good eye!

Most reactions

Back