High NitrAte Levels , Fast Breathing, Please Help!

seanus

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Right now I have:

1 South-American Cichlid (4 inches long)
1 Bala Shark (4 inches)
1 Silver-tip Shark
1 Red Wag Platy
1 Dalmation Molly
2 Guppies
1 Skirted Tetra
1 Glass Fish

These are in my 29 gallon hexagon tank. I just tested the water (since the Tetra is gasping) and found the following:

Nitrate: 120-160ppm
Nitrite: 0-0.5ppm
Hardness: Very Hard
Alkalinity: High
pH: 6.8
Ammonia: 0.25ppm

I think all is well, except for the Nitrate. :/ I just added an airstone and aquarium salt (never had done either before). I hope those will help with the tetra gasping until tomorrow when I can pick up something to calm down the nitrate.

What should I do? :huh:

Also, the airstone seems to come out at ten spots when it's near the surface, half way down, air bubbles come out of five holes and at the bottom, only two or three! Any way to correct it so there is more dispersion at the bottom?

Thanks! ;)

Hi there,
do you do regular water changes? I would say do a change (maybe 30%??) immediately & test again tomorrow.

I am sure that there will be responses from those with more expertise, but I do know that a water change is necessary.
hth
susan

Hey Susan,

Thank you for the reply. I had been performing water changes every two weeks, but I have done two in the past 10 days. One was ten days ago (about 25% changed) and I changed 30% of the water yesterday.

Given that, what would you (or anyone out there) suggest?

I have been steadily losing a smaller fish every six-eight weeks :( so I really want to figure this one out!

Thanks in advance for your help!

How long have you had the tank set up and running? It sounds like your tank hasn't cycled yet or is on the very tail end with the high nitrates. You should do daily 20% to 25% water changes to get the levels down. After you get the parameters leveled out, you shuld do a 20% water change and gravel vac weekly.

You say that your alkalinity is high but your water is actually slightly acidic with a pH of 6.8. Do you mean your KH and GH are high>

As for the airstone, where is the pump in relation to the tank, above below, etc. The farther the air has to go (longer the tubing), generally the less the output. If the pump is below the top of the water, you need a check valve incase the power goes off so the water won't siphon back and ruin the pump. Also, the output will drop as you put the airstone deeper. It is fine to leave it near the top as the main thing you are looking for is surface aggitation

A few other questions that might help:

Do you change your filter often?
Are you using any chemicals or medication?
Are you using a dechlorinator at water changes?

I'd be more concerned about the Nitrite and Ammonia levels then the nitrates ...

The gasping can indeed be a response to Nitrite or Ammonia and water changes alone can help this ... my local shop has water with 160 ppm Nitrates ??

I'd be leary about adding a bunch of stuff to the water ... just get some clean water in the tank.

Good Day ... B)

Thanks for the reply rdd1952. :)

In response to your questions:

This tank has been set up for about nine months. I used to change the water (25-30%) every two weeks but will increase that to every week now. I have always vaccuumed the gravel.

How would I know if it has cycled? I have run all filter parts under tap water (for cleaning as needed), so I'm not sure if I should continue that or not. I wonder about the beneficial bacteria now...

You are correct, I did mean the KH and GH are high, while the pH is low at 6.8.

I will try putting the airstone near the top as it works very well there :p

I used to change the filter every two months. Now I am trying every month. I run it under tap water to rinse out debris and food every few weeks. Does that all sound okay?

Chemicals: I use Seachem pH regulator. Eight months ago it was too high, recently it's been too low. I add that regularly during water changes. I also add two-three drops of Prime in each gallon of new water during my bi-monthly, now weekly water changes.

I was thinking of using MelaFix for the cichlid's hole-in-the-head, but was going to wait until the Skirted Tetra is healthier and not gasping.

On the back of the Prime bottle, it says large doses can be applied in the case of an emergency to reduce nitrites. My tank has high nitrates, should I use it or no?

Thank you very much for your advice and future responses.

ok, step one, quit using so many chemicals!! especially the pH "regulators". those will actually cause sharp pH fluctuations that are detrimental to your ish's immune systems. as a general rule it is better to provide your fish with a constant, acceptable environment than it is to provide one that is momentarily ideal. so long as your tap water has a pH between 6 and 8, the vast majority of fish will be fine in it.

step two, avoid exposing filter material and equipment to chlorinated water. by washing your filter floss every few weeks to remove the debris, you have regularly killed off the majority of your beneficial bacteria. probably you've been starting a mini-cycle each time you do this.

that's really all i have to say. try to change just a gallon or so every day until the ammonia level disappears again. you don't have to gravel vac for these sort of little water changes, just focus on exchanging clean for dirty.

Thanks for the advice, both of you. I will perform frequent, small water changes this week and will keep my filter & filter media attached to the tank!

What do you think about Prime and the other stuff?

Thanks again ;)

regarding the Melafix - I think that if you follow the directions carefully, it is quite good stuff (have not had the need to use it yet.........well, I did really, but didn't know it until they died.....:( ) My LFS actually use Melafix in the tank as a preventative when they add new fish - so I think it must be pretty ok.

What is Prime? I am with the others on the 'don't add things to the water" thought. The ammonia and nitrItes will come down with the water changes and when the cycle is done you will be able to keep the NitrAtes down with water changes too.

good luck :)

How would I know if it has cycled? I have run all filter parts under tap water (for cleaning as needed), so I'm not sure if I should continue that or not. I wonder about the beneficial bacteria now...

I used to change the filter every two months. Now I am trying every month. I run it under tap water to rinse out debris and food every few weeks. Does that all sound okay?

Even though you have had your tank up for 9 months, your tank has probably never completely cycled because of the frequent filter changes and rinsing under tap water. When you change your filter, you throw a large portion of your good bacteria in the trash. Also, when you run chlorinated water on it, you kill a lot of the bacteria. The best way to clean the dirt and grim off the filter is to run some dechlorinated water in a bucket and then just swish the filter up and down in it. The bacteria will stay intact and the dirt will be gone from the outside.

Chemicals: I use Seachem pH regulator. Eight months ago it was too high, recently it's been too low. I add that regularly during water changes. I also add two-three drops of Prime in each gallon of new water during my bi-monthly, now weekly water changes.

I agree with pica that you need to get rid of the chemicals. Most fish can deal with what ever it is as long as it is stable. Actually a 6.8 is almost perfect for most fish with your cichlid maybe being the exception. I don't have any cichlids but believe they do prefer a higher pH. Since your KH and GH are high, your water has a high buffering capacity so your pH should stay very stable on it's own. I would love to have a higher KH (mine is very low at 1) so I could add CO2 for my plants. As for Prime, if you let your tanks fully cycle and keep your filter media intact, you don't need the bacteria starters. Almost all of the good bacteria are either in your filter media, your substrate or attached to the sides of the tank or your plants. Very, very little of the bacteria is actually free in the water so you don't remove any at water changes. Most of the bacteria starters are useless anyway. I don't think it will do anything to help your nitrAte problem but not certain.

I was thinking of using MelaFix for the cichlid's hole-in-the-head, but was going to wait until the Skirted Tetra is healthier and not gasping.

Melafix is a good antibiotic but you will need to remove the carbon from your filter while you are using it. Also, most people say you need to do daily water changes too. The instructions don't say that so I'm not sure. I am currently using it on one of my bettas for fin rot and am doing a 25% water change daily just before I add the next dose.

Sorry this is so long but wanted to try to cover everything.

When my nitrate levels start to go up, I use Easy Balance, it works great and does not harm my fish. Good Luck!

Idania Duncan

29 Gallon tank

7 zebra danios
4 neon tetras
1 plecostomus
1 guppy
fry

10 gallon tank

Mollies
1 big plecostomus

I lost the skirted tetra this morning despite recent water changes and adding the airstone. :(

Now the very large bala shark and the silver-tip shark are respiring and breathing more heavily. The red wag platy is staying at the top, not really swimming too much and not eating a lot either.

Is all that you would recommend, leaving the filter media but changing 20% of the water daily?

I really don't want any more fish to get worse!!! :/

Thank you for the assistance. (My fish will thank you, too)

I just changed 15% of the water and the bala shark is breathing really fast (just like the tetra was, who died three days after looking like this :( )

Should I be adding chemicals (like Prime dechlorinator with the new water or should it come straight from the tap??

Please help...my fish are looking pretty stressed! :\

I think you need to be doing more in the way of water changes. Do 50% each day for a week and see if that helps the nitrate.

Most reactions

Back