High Nirates

GixxerAndy

Reaction score
Hey, I think I need some help.

I have a Juwel Rio 180 (unplanted - plastic plants) using the internal filter and a Fluval 304MSF external. This setup has been running for about 6 months. I have always been affected by high nitrAtes even if I up the water changes and add the new juwel nitrate remover sponge. I am using the Aquairuim Pharamaceuticals test kits, here are my results.

PH 7.8
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 150ppm

I have checked all the calculator and I'm by no means overstocked. I am currently changing 20% water every Sunday and Wednesday to try and resolve this but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. I don't think I over feed (only feed 6 days out of 7 and use the minimum amound of food) and I hoover the substrate every other week.

I have started using the juwel nitrate sponge which doesn't seem to do anything.

I'm thinking of buying one of the resin based sacks for my external, something like Interpets Nitrasafe.

Any idea's?

I'm also thinking the test kit may be wrong and I should invest in a new one.

Any comments will be greatly appreciated.
Sorry for the long post.

Andy

What's the nitrate at in your tapwater? Some places have tapwater with a very high nitrate level in it, which would explain why it's that high in your tank. If that's the case, your water is simply not suitable for fishkeeping. I'm not sure if there's any chemicals or anything on the market against it *shrug*

Just wondering if that might be what's causing the problem, rather than fixing a problem of which cause is unknown :)

Erised is right, until you get it tested from the tap then we dont know what else to suggest.
Is the tank planted, usually heavily planted tanks help.But if you have any dying plants then this will add to the problem as do snails that have died. Have you noticed a lot of snails?
Doing bigger water changes might help if its not a tap water issue. Up the changes to 40% twice a week and see if that helps.
Once again though this all depends on the reading from the tap.

My tank went through a period of having high nitrates of 100 instead of the usual 25. To bring them down i had to do 40% water changes every day until it stabilized and i could start leaving it longer.
I would test the water every day and keep doing the changes and then when its reading at 10, test the water each day and see how long it takes to start rising again. When it hits 40 then do another water change and watch it again, this will tell you how often water changes will need doing.
Are you using a gravel vac as well?

Yep using a gravel vac. Ok, will try what you have suggested.

Thanks for the replies.

Andy

Even with a gravel vacuum, gravel is still the biggest source of nitrate pollution in the water because no matter how well you clean it, it will always still retain... well... crap. Een if you took all the gravel out and rinsed it with high pressure water, it would still... contain crap.

You might want to consider, after getting the levels under control with water changes, changing to a sand substrate. Its much easier to clean and tends to not affect the tank when it comes to nitrate pollution as much.

Just a head up though, if you do decide to switch to a sand substrate, it is one of the most irritating processes to go through and is guaranteed to result in (at least in my case) red-faced annoyance.

It sounds like for some reason, they got out of control, and you will just need to do lots of small, partial water changes to bring it back under control. Was there a time when you neglected your tank and didn't do regular water changes? (Don't feel bad, all everyone here cares about is that you are now trying to change this).

I know right now you really want to do a large water change, but this is not for the good of your fish. They actually are used to these high nitrate levels, and a drastic change will shock them. I would say to begin doing daily water changes. Start with no more than 15%, and gradually increase it to 20-25%. My mom used to insist bettas didn't need water changes, and by the time I got my hands on his tank, the nitrates were over 160 (now corrected), and he survived that.

Some fish can produce more waste than others, so can you also post a list of your fish?

Hey, sorry for not replying sooner, been real busy.

I have been doing the water changes daily and it seems to be working, I started last Sunday night, here's my schedule:

Sunday - 30 litre (16.7%)
Monday - 30 litre (16.7%)
Tuesday - 40 litre (22.2%)
Wednesday - 40 litre (22.2%)
Thursday - 50 litre (27.8%)
Tonight - will do another 50 litre.

Already seeing results, NitrAtes are down below 30ppm.

So my next questions are:
1. when can I stop doing daily water changes?
2. whats the best way of keeping them under control now I'm near a good level?

Thaks in advance, and thankyou for your past comments.

Andy

You say you have checked all the calculators and you aren't overstocked but overstocking is the #1 cause of high nitrates. The bacteria will build up enough to process all the ammonia & nitrite but the end result is nitrate that has to be removed by water changes. What are the fish in the tank?

I'm going to tweak that a little bit. IMO the #1 cause of high nitrates is not overstocking, but over feeding. The un-eaten food rots and decays, and starts the nitrogen cycle the same way the fish waste does. In addition to the water changes, I would suggest cutting the feedings back to about every other day...don't worry, your fish won't starve!

pnyklr3 said:
I'm going to tweak that a little bit. IMO the #1 cause of high nitrates is not overstocking, but over feeding. The un-eaten food rots and decays, and starts the nitrogen cycle the same way the fish waste does. In addition to the water changes, I would suggest cutting the feedings back to about every other day...don't worry, your fish won't starve!
[snapback]879324[/snapback]​
You are probably right. Over stocking and over feeding are definitely #1 & #2. Just a matter of the exact order.

The key reason for high nitrates in Juwel aquaria is the poor filter design. Because the box cannot be removed from the aquarium sludge and debries can build up inside the box within the water bypass area and beneath the bottom sponges unnoticed. My advice to anyone with a Juwel aquarium is to completely remove all the sponges and vacume inside the box using just the hose section of a gravel vac at least once a month, beware the first time you do this you are quite likely to feel sick :lol:

I just did mine. The water literally stank and i didnt know why so i took the jewel apart to clean it :sick: The whole house stank.
Mind you i hadnt done it since february.

Most reactions

Back