High/low Range Ph

fUbAr

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My test kit measures both High Range and Low Range PH... my new tank has been cycling for just 3 days now.

Which PH test will give me an accurate measure of the acidity in my water, High or Low range?

A higher ph will mean it's alkaline rather than acid - which is the end you should be aiming for - so test for high ph as if your tank is acidic then somethings wrong.

Paul.

Actually what he/she should be aiming for depends on what type of fish are to be kept. Some prefer more alkaline, some prefer more acidic.

Good point - but fish that prefer more acidic water, like angelfish, neons and rams, still only live in around 6.0/6.5ph waters - which is still at the top end of the scale.

just tested again...

PH - 7.5
High Range PH - 8.2

so which is the ph of my water?

8.2 is quite high isnt it?

so you used both tests and got different results?

what's the maximum/minimum readings possible for each test? sometimes a result outside the test range will appear the same color as the maximum/minimum.

the normal ph test goes from 6.0-7.6, and the high range goes from 7.4-8.8.

could it be that the normal test is atually higher than the 7.6 it measures to, meaning my ph is actually 8.2 as tested using the higher range ph test?

if so, 8.2 is really high isnt it?

yeah, that's pretty high. (Dorset is in one of those hardwater areas, isn't it?)

however, hard water with a high alkalinity like what you have is ideal for keeping fish from the African Rift Lakes. there are plenty of fascinating and beautiful species available from that area which are suited to a wide range of tank sizes (from 1" Shell-Dwelling Cichlids to 30" Mbu Puffers!)

but if you've got your heart set on some softwater tetras or similar, then you can always save up for a Reverse Osmosis unit and use that to soften and increase the acidity of your water.

its just confused me having the two different PH tests...

im not sure which one is the correct measurement for my water :S

The high-range one is probably correct.

Generally, if your PH is out of the range of a PH test, it'll just show the color closest to it.

lol, your doing something wrong, you should really only be using low range test, and you wont get 2 results if you try both unless you doing something wrong

if your low range is offf the charts then go high range, if not theres no need for high range, try to stay between 6.5 and 7

hmm... right i'll try a low range test again, and see for sure if its at the highest end of the test...

there's really nothing to go wrong... 3 drops of solution in a test tube with 5ml of water in it.

My test kit is the one everyone raves about on here... freshwater master test kit

ok, here we go.

would you say the results from the low range are at the highest colour, meaning its over the scale it can measure?

so i should be taking the high range reading.... which i reckon is about 8.2?

sorry for being dumb :blush:

low.jpg

high.jpg

If it's any consolation, I'm in the Dorset area and my PH readings are the exact same as yours. I'm certain the high range one is correct - mine is 8.2 as well.

Any ideas for getting it a bit lower? I've heard bad things on this forum about those PH adjusters, but I need to get it down somehow. I've not really got the right tank for keeping cichlids, it's a bit too small. :/

If it's any consolation, I'm in the Dorset area and my PH readings are the exact same as yours. I'm certain the high range one is correct - mine is 8.2 as well.

Any ideas for getting it a bit lower? I've heard bad things on this forum about those PH adjusters, but I need to get it down somehow. I've not really got the right tank for keeping cichlids, it's a bit too small. :/

pH adjusters can be bad because usually people don't take care of the buffers first. Trying to lower the pH of water that is very hard is a futile process. It MAY lower you pH for a day or two, but it will shoot right back up stressing you fish big time in the process. But if you soften the water first and work from that, then you may not even need to adjust the pH anymore.

Karl

Most reactions

Back