Hi there, Newbie here with daft questions.

Agree on the betta, not a good choice for a community tank...and +1 to the pearl gouramis, a beautiful, peaceful fish that does well in a community setting

Thanks for the informative advice. Plenty to learn in this hobby.
Will having 12 Cory’s leave enough space for the Gold Nugget Pleco?

Sorry I missed the pleco previously--this fish is too large for this sized tank. Volume is 180 liters (57 gallons), and assuming this means the length end to end is at most 36 inches/90 cm, this is too small. This pleco attains 8-9 inches/20-22cm and needs a significantly larger tank. The plecos in general can produce a lot of waste, another issue involving space and volume.

The solution here is not to leave things as is, because this is detrimental to the cories and tetras that need more of their own. Removing the pleco to then increase the others is the solution. The fish species we maintain in any aquarium must be given an environment that meets their expectations. The need for a group of a shoaling species is programmed into the species' genetics, it is an absolute that needs to be provided. And there are several studies now confirming this. The key to healthy fish is providing what they expect and require.

Good catch by @Byron, I wasn't aware how big that particular pleco could get

A smaller one would work, though

Would this be a suitable selection of fish/stocking level???

5 Neon Tetra + 5

3 Longfin Bronze Cory + 6

2 Amano Shrimp

1 Siamese Fighter

1 L177 Golden Nugget Pleco

4 Dwarf Gourami

2 Rams

I'm going to replace the in tank filter with a large canister filter to improve filtration (Fluval 207).
Looks like the Pleco will have to go to or alternatively is an excuse for getting either another tank or a larger one!!!!

I would say no to the betta. They are not community and are best kept on their own. The neons might well nip a betta's fins as those long fins are like waving a red flag in front of a bull.

The siamese fighter aka betta is not a good community fish as has already been said. They are best kept on their own. They may live peacefully for a while then can suddenly snap and go on a killing spree. And with long fins they are targets for fin nipping by other fish.

Gouramis and bettas are a bad combination, both territorial fish which occupy the same region of the tank. Only one species of anabatid should be kept in a tank.

.... avoid dwarf gouramis in all the colour forms as many are infected with an incurable disease by the time they get to the shop.

Dwarf gouramis are commonly infected with an incurable disease by the time they reach the shop. This species is best avoided. Look at the smaller honey gourami (natural or yellow, not red as most are really mislabelled thick lip gouramis) or the larger pearl gourami as these don't have the same health issues. And only 1 male with gouramis with a group of females.

The siamese fighter aka betta is not a good community fish as has already been said. They are best kept on their own. They may live peacefully for a while then can suddenly snap and go on a killing spree. And with long fins they are targets for fin nipping by other fish.

Gouramis and bettas are a bad combination, both territorial fish which occupy the same region of the tank. Only one species of anabatid should be kept in a tank.

Dwarf gouramis are commonly infected with an incurable disease by the time they reach the shop. This species is best avoided. Look at the smaller honey gourami (natural or yellow, not red as most are really mislabelled thick lip gouramis) or the larger pearl gourami as these don't have the same health issues. And only 1 male with gouramis with a group of females.
Looks like the Betta will be moving out into another tank then. Handy as I already have the daughters empty tank. Just need a better filter and heater.
May drop the idea of the Gouramis then and just stick with some rams.

just stick with some rams.

Ah, that's another problem.

Rams (all the colour varieties of Mikrogeophagus ramirezi) need warmer water than most fish can tolerate. They need a minimum of 27 deg C while fish like cories and neons need a maximum of 25 deg C. Bolivian rams (Mikrogeophagus altispinosus) need lower temps than their cousins, but are less colourful and harder to sex. Two males would not be a good idea. And both species of ram need to chose their own mates; just any male and any female may well not get on resulting in one dead fish, usually the female.
To be honest, with cories and a plec, I wouldn't go with another bottom dwelling fish like either species of ram as the floor of the tank would be rather crowded and the top of the tank would be empty.

I still think pearl gouramis are worth looking at, provided you have tall plants or floating plants to keep them happy. 1 male, 2 or 3 females. Look for a shop with well grown individuals since juvenile males won't have developed the fringes on their fins yet and you could end up with 2 males like I did (I had to take one back)

Most reactions

Back