Hi, Stocking Advice Please

pink3

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am a newbie, who has really appreciated reading all the advice on this forum, so thank you.

I am currently fishless cycling a tank , ammonia is being dealt with in 24 hours but nitrites are still 5.0 so still a few weeks to go.

It is a ND Aquatics tank, 36" x 24" x 24", 290 litres. External filter - Eheim 2073. It has JBL aquabasis substrate and 1.5" of Nordic aqua gravel (2-4mm). It will be low tech planted.

I live in a hard water area and have a ph of 8.0.

I would like to create a peaceful community tank. I already have some fish which will be going into the tank - 4 platies (1M & 3F) and 5 zebra danios.

I would be most grateful if I could have some advice as to what other fish I could add.

Many thanks.

Pink3

You can do many different types of fish.

Corys or say zebra or khuli loaches on the bottom. A big school of cardinal tetras or other medium sized tetras or rasboras. A pair of bolivian rams or other apistogramma dwarf cichlids. Angelfish, a pair, although then pick your tetra or rasboras carefully. A pair of bristlenose plecos.

Just some ideas. See my 60 gallon for more ideas.

A big school of cardinal tetras or other medium sized tetras or rasboras.

Thanks Karin.

That's great that you think cardinals will be ok. I was worried they would be a no-no as my water is hard and alkaline (ph 8).

to be honest with you, most fish will be OK with ph 8

I myself have a ph of 7.5/8 and it isn't a problem, ask the LFS what their ph is if you're worried...

Acclimatising fish is a great way to go if the ph is massively different, just tie a knot in your siphon and let it drip into a bucket with the new fish for an hour or two...

You could look at maybe some bigger fish dwarf gouramis, or gouramis (honey etc) preferable 1 male with at least 1 female, Angelfish are always nice and shouldnt be a problem in a tank that size as small fish can escape lol

Best thing to do would be to visit your LFS and have a look im sure you'll find some fish you like

Good luck

Hi Pink.

I have a Ph of 8 and I try most fish staying away from things like german blue rams and discus. Many fish are tank bred now and they tyically can tolerate a wider Ph than their wild heritages (in some cases).

Good luck and have fun. Read up and research. :good:

With a 290L/76G like that I would increase the group of danios to a larger bunch. They will be even more playful and relaxed. Agree with the other suggestions - if you went for a large grouping of cardinals, they could be introduced long before a small group of baby angels and the angels would grow up used to them being there. Harlequins would be another wonderful grouping that would be very good for the first stocking. At this size you also have the choice of the larger gouramis such as pearls or chocolates, in addtion to or instead of the smaller dwarves, honeys or sparklings (although a larger bunch of honeys or sparklings might be an option as an unusual thing if you like the look.) Rummynoses are a possibility for a larger shoal (perhaps instead of harlequins if you want a different look.)

~~waterdrop~~

Thanks for the suggestions KkAaNnEe, karin & Waterdrop. : :thanks:

My ammonia is now being munched in 12 hours so I am progessing well with the fishless cycle. Have a number of books by Dick Mills & Gina Sandford which I have found v.informative, so will check out all the fish you have mentioned. Also plan to visit a couple of LFS, although as i am such a newbie, I will need to note down names of their fish and then check suitability before I buy anything.

With a 290L/76G like that I would increase the group of danios to a larger bunch. They will be even more playful and relaxed. Agree with the other suggestions - if you went for a large grouping of cardinals, they could be introduced long before a small group of baby angels and the angels would grow up used to them being there.
~~waterdrop~~

Will definitely add another 5 danios so that I have 10. Great idea about having the cardinals in first then later adding baby angels - was worried that the cardinals would end up being a swimming buffet for the angels!

Also like the look of Pentazona barbs - but are they good community fish? I have read that they are alot more peaceful than the similar looking tiger barbs.

Many thanks

Pink3

I'd add a few more zebra danios 8-10

personally a large group of cardnals, but you could go for 2 smaller groups of schooling fish.

Either a group of apistos 1m 3f, or a couple of pairs of dwarf cichlids. There's an article in PFK this month about good dwarf cichlids for less experienced keepers. Personally I'd suggest Bolivian rams and a pair of Apistogramma Cacatuoides.

Some type of plec would be good, there are many, but I prefer the smaller ones.

I think the best thing to do is go and look at your fish shops now to get an idea of what you want, come back and say what you like and people will tell you how to adapt the stocking you like to keep happy fish. That way you get a tank with fish you like rather than our favourites

I'd be very cautious about a group of barbs (I've not kept pentazona but I've kept rosies and they can be almost a serious a nipping problem as tigers.. it's really almost cherries on the calm end and all the other barbs on the other) in a tank where you want a calmer community. It can be done I think but perhaps needs some experience to do it right.

You have an opportunity to have the first stocking be the various bottom dellers, the larger group of danios at the top and whichever larger shoal that is not the cardinals (rasboras, rummies, whatever) and then come back with the cardinal stocking after a couple months and then finally a number of months later (it's an advantage to just be watching for the best baby angels over a year or whatever it takes) you could let them come in to an already established and hopefully now calm situation. Or perhaps the right situation with other cichlids might work out as mentioned.

I do agree that the more time you spend mixing in your own trips to see what you like firsthand (looking at both color and behavior to some extent (although shops are notorious for not being able to show behavior because the fish are in transport behavior) and bring that back for some pros and cons from the members the more you'll feel good about your initial stocking attempts. At some point you just have to try things - it takes a lifetime in the hobby to really master the black art of stocking in some ways.

The suggestion with angels and their food (neons more than cards) can hold out for years but it is good to realize that sometimes if you are successful at keeping the angels healthy to an old age they can get so big (including their mouths) that in the later years they may suddenly dart and eat one of those little tetras - that can come as a shock if you've thought of the community as family for years, lol.

~~waterdrop~~

Most reactions

Back