Hi Often To Vacuum The Gravel?

lucc

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, as I have constant problems (last 3 months) with the water - have to change all the time - I also vacuum every two weeks - lately even more often.... Is it wrong to vacuum (siphon) the water often - Am I maybe destroying the good bacteria in the gravel? How often should it be done? Thank you.Lucc.

Hi, as I have constant problems (last 3 months) with the water - have to change all the time - I also vacuum every two weeks - lately even more often.... Is it wrong to vacuum (siphon) the water often - Am I maybe destroying the good bacteria in the gravel? How often should it be done? Thank you.Lucc.

What's the problem/readings?? Hugh nitrite ammonia or nitrate? And is the tank cycled?

What's the problem/readings?? Hugh nitrite ammonia or nitrate? And is the tank cycled?
It is cycled, but about 3 months ago I started taking the whole filter system out of the water when changing the water in the tank:-(. I don´t do that anymore.... Maybe that is what the whole problem caused. I have strip tests and they showing all is ok, but everybody says to use the liquid tests. The other thing is - I don´t have the amonia tests .... I know u think that I am crazy and yes I will buy them. If the nitrite nitrate is ok (I know it is strip test) anyway what I would like to know if the nitrite and nitrates and ph - all is ok - can I have the amonia still high. I thought that is not possible... thank you Lucc.

If your cycle isn't going, (No bacteria eating anything) it's possible for ammonia to be building up but no bacteria are available to convert it to nitrite and then nitrate. So it is possible for ammonia to build up but nothing else. In a properly cycled tank that wouldn't happen, but heavy cleaning of the filter could possibly "un cycle" the tank and stop the conversions of ammonia into nitrite/ate.

There is virtually no bacteria in the water, and virtually no bacteria in your gravel (unless you have an undergravel filter). Nearly all of the bacteria would be in your filter. You can do as many water changes and gravel vacuumings as you want without harming the bacteria, as long as you remember to dechlorinate your water.

I gravel vac every time I do a water change, which for me is once a week. If I have to do a water change more often than that I will still vacuum through the substrate.

I'd buy a liquid test kit test everything :) and if you have ammonia and 0 nitrite and nitrate I'd treat it as cycling again and do the water changes as required so the fish are not harmed. And be careful with filter maintenance :-D I have to do it soon so I'm a little worried! Eeeek

If your cycle isn't going, (No bacteria eating anything) it's possible for ammonia to be building up but no bacteria are available to convert it to nitrite and then nitrate. So it is possible for ammonia to build up but nothing else. In a properly cycled tank that wouldn't happen, but heavy cleaning of the filter could possibly "un cycle" the tank and stop the conversions of ammonia into nitrite/ate.

There is virtually no bacteria in the water, and virtually no bacteria in your gravel (unless you have an undergravel filter). Nearly all of the bacteria would be in your filter. You can do as many water changes and gravel vacuumings as you want without harming the bacteria, as long as you remember to dechlorinate your water.

I gravel vac every time I do a water change, which for me is once a week. If I have to do a water change more often than that I will still vacuum through the substrate.

Hi Katty, thanks very much, that helps a lot - I also allways vaccume with each water change till last couple of times (worried about the bacteria). It that cycle is broken - which looks like it to me (the symptomes as I described in mysterious problem with the fish and also in november silver dollar dying could be because of that yes?. Now how to get out of this situation - get the bacteria going again as before (first 6 months ok) then I made the mistake taking the filter system out when changing water and cleaning and my good bacteria maybe died). I did that many times - till I read somwhere that even powercut can kill the bacterias and I realized: What have I done... Well my fish show discomfort and I have to change water every 3 days. I keep asking in the shop for extra bacterias in the bottle as they used to sell and they keep telling me if I use Easy-Balance
- which I do, that Easy-Balance also includes the bacteria.... is it true? Somehow I would prefer if I had the bacteria separetely now when I have this problem. What shall I do? How can I undo this situation we are in? What will be the procedure? I just keep changing water and I can't get out of this ongoing problem...But I am glad that I can change more water without losing good bacteria, I am calmer about it thanks. Anyway I will be again on this Forum tomorrow (saturday) and I will seek the answer from you (if you please can help Katty) if u can't tomorrow - then after and after etc. Is there also anybody else who could help as how to get out of this cycle? Thanks very much Lucc. Important question - What is the best thing to do to get the good bacteria back? That Easy-Balance seems is not doing it and they don't have any other product to offer...Thanks again, looking forward to get your answer...

Aaii... That bacteria in a bottle stuff is nothing but a waste of money. You can usually assume anything in a bottle that claims to cycle your tank doesn't work.

What you should do is pick up a liquid ammonia test kit, or at least take the water to the store and have them test the ammonia for you for free if you can't afford the test kit. But don't let them try and sell you anything, if they do it's most likely to try and make money rather than actually help you. If no ammonia shows up on the test, well you have a different problem then. If ammonia does show up, what you have is a "fish-in" cycle. I reccomend you read this(Link) for a guide on how to complete a fish in cycle. Basically though it just involves changing the water a LOT.

What you can do to for a "shortcut" to try and jump start the cycle and perhaps even instantly cycle your tank is try to find a friend or a friend of a friend who has a fish tank and see if they can give you a dirty piece of sponge or floss or ceramic disks out of their filter. The bigger, the better but if they can only give you a little that is better than nothing. Don't let it dry out, and don't wash it, put it right in your filter box and any bacteria on it will start to grow onto your filter, too. But you have to make sure they don't have any diseases in their tank or it could carry over to yours. Hopefully you can find someone who has a tank, which is probably the hardest part of this "shortcut".

I'd buy a liquid test kit test everything :) and if you have ammonia and 0 nitrite and nitrate I'd treat it as cycling again and do the water changes as required so the fish are not harmed. And be careful with filter maintenance :-D I have to do it soon so I'm a little worried! Eeeek
Thank you - this helps a lot. Feel better about the whole thing. They do charge 120 euro fot this kit - it is a lot at the moment.... I will see - maybe I will buy just amonia test separately for now.

Aaii... That bacteria in a bottle stuff is nothing but a waste of money. You can usually assume anything in a bottle that claims to cycle your tank doesn't work.

What you should do is pick up a liquid ammonia test kit, or at least take the water to the store and have them test the ammonia for you for free if you can't afford the test kit. But don't let them try and sell you anything, if they do it's most likely to try and make money rather than actually help you. If no ammonia shows up on the test, well you have a different problem then. If ammonia does show up, what you have is a "fish-in" cycle. I reccomend you read this(Link) for a guide on how to complete a fish in cycle. Basically though it just involves changing the water a LOT.

What you can do to for a "shortcut" to try and jump start the cycle and perhaps even instantly cycle your tank is try to find a friend or a friend of a friend who has a fish tank and see if they can give you a dirty piece of sponge or floss or ceramic disks out of their filter. The bigger, the better but if they can only give you a little that is better than nothing. Don't let it dry out, and don't wash it, put it right in your filter box and any bacteria on it will start to grow onto your filter, too. But you have to make sure they don't have any diseases in their tank or it could carry over to yours. Hopefully you can find someone who has a tank, which is probably the hardest part of this "shortcut".
Thank you Katty again. Apreciate your help and advice :) . Last night we changed around 70% the day before around 45% - the fish have still very good appetite - thanks to the often water change I think. Will leave it for now and watch the fish... The test kit - liquid one costs 120 euro here, I will try to get just amonia/ac liquid test separetaly and see if anything shows up. On top of it all they don´t check the water in our pet store!!!! Thanks a lot again Lucc

And one more thing - good luck with the filter maintenance..... Lucc :fish:

Well good luck! And when in doubt, water change. If you have anymore questions, just ask the forum here.

Bacteria boosters:
http://www.firsttankguide.net/bacteria.php
Good read ;)
Thank you - it is a great read!!! Changed my opinion totaly about the whole bacteria thing....
Now what do you - anybody - think about such products as Easy-Balance - for example.... does it serve anything? I use it with every change of water ..... thank you Lucc.

Well good luck! And when in doubt, water change. If you have anymore questions, just ask the forum here.
Thanks Katty!!! and everybody... Another question... I put littlebit of charcoal directly on to the gravel - is it bad? Shall I take the pieces out? thanks Lucc.

Thank you - this helps a lot. Feel better about the whole thing. They do charge 120 euro fot this kit - it is a lot at the moment.... I will see - maybe I will buy just amonia test separately for now.
You can get liquid API test kit for around £15 on Ebay, many UK sellers will post abroad too

Most reactions

Back