Hi im new n have some questions

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

100% definitely isn’t what you want to do in a tank that is cycled. In a tank that’s not it makes more sense because otherwise ammonia and nitrite is going to gradually build and any amount of these is toxic to fish. Not sure how you would do a 100% change though unless you scoop the fish out to do the change, which would likely stress them even more, especially if done on a daily basis. I would just remove as much water as I can with the fish still in the tank and then add an ammonia/nitrite detoxifier to neutralize the remaining ammonia and nitrite.

Its lead me to the point where I don't wanna spend more money on the fish I've kept as a kid because in her care they don't seem to.do as well as they did with me as a child. I was able to keep tetras barbs n betas for years now I cant keep them a month.
Tap water has changed a great deal over the last 20+ years and water that what was safe back in the 70s is now toxic to anything that ingests it.

You live in the US and probably have chloramine in your tap water now. Did you use a dechlorinator that neutralises chloramine?

How long were the fish in the new tank before they died?

Have you tested the tank water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH?

What sort of fish did you get (that died)?
What symptoms did the fish have?
Are any fish still alive in that tank?

Do you have any pictures or video of the dead fish or the remaining ones?

--------------------
You don't do a 100% water change unless something extremely poisonous is in the water, then it's easier to get the fish out and put them in clean water.

If you have an ammonia or nitrite reading above 0ppm, do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day until the levels are back to 0ppm.

Last edited:
Sadly none of the fish moved from my bigger tank have made it. I tried to explain to her that the water was nowhere near ready so 5 glofish tetras a danio who I had for years n a couple goldfish have passed. RIP sweeney my lil danio

Most reactions

Back