Hi Guys :)

TC7

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am new to all this and was looking a bit of advice.
I have two female dalmation mollies & 1 male, one of the females looks as though she's pregnant. Her bellies got alot bigger over the past few days and she's being really agressive with the other fish, constantly chasing them all away if any come near her - Is this normal???? Also, I cant see any black spot on her :/ So maybe she isn't pregnant, is it noticable on dalmation mollies?

Hi Guys,

I am new to all this and was looking a bit of advice.
I have two female dalmation mollies & 1 male, one of the females looks as though she's pregnant. Her bellies got alot bigger over the past few days and she's being really agressive with the other fish, constantly chasing them all away if any come near her - Is this normal???? Also, I cant see any black spot on her :/ So maybe she isn't pregnant, is it noticable on dalmation mollies?

well when i had mollies they were somewhat aggressive not stingily aggressive but it is hard to tell when a dalmatian is pregnant for example i feed my fish a good meal and one of my plates is always fat so if you have been feeding your fish a lot then she is not pregnant but if you have only been feeding about a big pinch than well yea you probably have a pregnant fish plus good choice for picking two females instead of one ;)

sorry i meant strongly not stingily but the chances of her being pregnant is pretty high up there so you will most likely have babies in a few weeks!

oh yea and they are generally skittish or protective around other fish until she has babies because as you should know they are cannabalistic towards babies!! :crazy:

mollies bellys get very squared off at the bottom the longer along in pregnancy they are. she could still be pregnant just not far enough along to square off.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/285369-a-mollys-story-from-one-drop-to-the-next/

Thanks guys. I only feed my fish one pinch every night like I was advised, so they aren't over fed.
I'll keep a wee eye on her over the nxt few weeks and see (I hope she is pregnant). How do you know when its time to put her in the wee box, or do you just know?lol

Thanks guys. I only feed my fish one pinch every night like I was advised, so they aren't over fed.
I'll keep a wee eye on her over the nxt few weeks and see (I hope she is pregnant). How do you know when its time to put her in the wee box, or do you just know?lol
i think you should just get this "FEELING" if you know what i mean... d:D

when the birthing tube is visable and opens up i believe. read the link i put up :good:

Thanks for that Staxx, that is a fantastic Post... Only getting to read through it now as I was replying from phone earlier today and wouldnt let me open it. But on laptop now and read through it whilst looking at my molly. Going by those pics, she def looks pregnant :) Just not far along enough yet to be squared off, like you said.

Thanks a lot

Thanks for that Staxx, that is a fantastic Post... Only getting to read through it now as I was replying from phone earlier today and wouldnt let me open it. But on laptop now and read through it whilst looking at my molly. Going by those pics, she def looks pregnant :) Just not far along enough yet to be squared off, like you said.

Thanks a lot

awww i looked at the link and now i miss my baby mollies (yet i don't have any more because they need slightly brackish) however i do have a baby male platy still growing up yet he's breeding with little platy!!!

I also have two female coral platys, one of which looks pregnant, but do they normally have a fat/round belly anyway? :/

I also have two female coral platys, one of which looks pregnant, but do they normally have a fat/round belly anyway? :/
platys are easy to tell just see if they had the black spot. :hyper:

i keep mollies and my water isnt brackish at all. i think theyll be fine in normal fresh water. all my lfs sell them as tropical and not brackish :D

platys are easy to tell just see if they had the black spot. :hyper:

Not true I'm afraid. I have 3 orange (sunset) platies and none of them display a gravid spot ever - nor did their mother. The only platies to show an obvious gravid spot are the pale coloured ones - tuxedo's etc

i have 2 pregnant red platy. one of them has given birth before and didnt show a gravid spot either.

Most reactions

Back