Hi Guys. Can Someone Answer This Question Urgently Please :)

Camad727

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Im ordering my tank off aquariums-delivered.com and they only ship their sand with the aquariums. It is silver silica aquarium sand, is this allright for my tank, or is play sand better? and would 25 kg be enough to cover a 121 cm tank? The sand is 15 quid for the 25 kg bag.

thanks for any help :D

p.s reason its urgent im going out in 20 mins and want to get this thing ordered tonight with or without the sand

Sorry i didn't reply as quick as you would have liked, i just seen this just now.

At that price, i'd leave it and use playsand. Check out this one from Argos. £2.49 for 15Kg. Slightly cheaper i'd say, and just as good.

[URL="http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/part...%3EPLAYSAND.htm"]http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/part...%3EPLAYSAND.htm[/URL]

Cheers :good:

BTT

ohh rite, well since I didnt get a reply I decided to leave it and decide what sand I want when I get the tank. From what I have read silica sand is really reflective and will wash out the colours of the fish, but play sand is a darker colour and will notreflect as much, is this right?

Is silver silica sand not actually what I know as just 'silver sand' which is effectively what 'play sand' is anyway?
Neale quotes...
In a hard water tank, use coral, reptile, river, or silica sand as you prefer. In a soft water aquarium, you need a sand lacking in lime (calcaereous minerals), so stick with silica sand. Silica sand is sometimes called silver sand. There is an idea going about that silica sand promotes diatoms, but I have never observed this to be the case, and I think the 'science' behind it is very fuzzy. Assuming the silica sand you obtain is pure quartz, it is no more soluble than the glass (also a silicate) that makes up your fish tank.

...found here :)

i use play sand from argos, it is supposed to raise the pH slighly i think, if it has then it has done mine by 0.5

Most reactions

Back