Hey I'm back! and now I need a name for program

trout_pout

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hey, how's things been since I left?
Anyway, I have just started college and I am on a computing course AS level.
One of the assignments which counts for 30-60% of my final grade is a project, for this project you need to design and make a program which would be useful for someone in your family or a family's friend.
After much thought I realised that my dad has two good friends, one works at pets at home and the other works in a lfs. Anyway, because the project counts towards the final grade I was thinking of something to do at an advanced level. Then it hit me, as I was laying in the bath. I would make a tank dimensions to gallons converter, then once the gallons has appeared, the person could click a button underneath and then a list of all the fish that can be contained in that size tank will appear in a list underneath.
I told my computing teacher and she said that it was "the most brilliant idea she has ever heard from a student". I'm just wondering what you guys think and what kind of ideas or mods you think I should put into it.
Obviously I won't be putting in every single fish out there. Sometimes I will for example, rather adding green severum and gold severum to the database I'd just add Severum because they are quite similar in tank requirements.
Anyway, I'd like to know your views on this.

It's a good idea but will take a fair bit of research and work. What would be even better would be to have the listed fish as links to places that have comprehensive info about them. That way no one could say but it said it was suitable blah blah blah without knowing the real needs of the fish involved.
Good luck with it. Be interested in seeing the outcome.
Hugs,
P.

This sounds like a really good project and a great way to get people into fishkeeping.

It wouldn't be that much hard work either if you got a helping hand from here :D

Just out of interest what language are you going to be writing this in ?

Once they have entered in their dimensions and found their tank size.

I would create drop down menus where people can select the fish they want and the number. And using the adult lengths of the fishes as a guide you could say weather or not they would be over stocked. Have a running count down of length of fish left would be good to.

Of course that wouldn’t show if they were compatible but a good guide for beginners to use (like me).

Also your teacher won’t have a clue on fish stats so you could even make up your info.

Good luck with it ……….. .. ..

I will give you a bit of a head start..this is the equation to convert diamentions to gallons

Length*Width*Height/1728*7.48

:D

It sounds like a great idea, one of which you could build on.

Your selection could be broken down to fish for the beginner to the advanced fish keeper.

Just an idea, best of luck :thumbs: .

It's a very good idea and if you had time, you could extend it to marine and sell it and help pay for school. Other thoughts:

1) amount of gravel to add (FW)
2) amount of sand to add (marine)
3) amount of live rock to add (marine)
4) lighting requirements based on content (marine and fw)
5) recommended filtration rates (gallons per hour)
6) weight filled with water
7) weight filled water and salt

You could go on and on....good luck. SH

Don't foget NOT to do it on inch per gallon. Tetra has a fairly similar thing, the major downfall is is they do it as, say, one fish per gallon. Not good when they give you oscars as an option.

Could you have a 'realtime filter' based into it, so that as you selected the fish it offered you, based on your conditions, it relisted what you could have - for example with a 10g, if you said a Dwarf Puffer, you would get pretty much nothing else listed!

ok, I need help now. :D
I'm wanting to make a splash page for it on the weekend. But I haven't thought of what to call the program.
I need a quick brainstorm from some of you guys. Here are the details if you don't already know:
It's a program which converts tank dimensions into gallons, and the fish that you can put into that sized tank.
I'm totally stuck with what to call it. :dunno:
Any ideas will be appreciated....however silly they may be.

I just had to post this :hey:
These are some of my parents ideas:
Codfather :no:
Oh Cod! :no:
Fish Tropicana :no:
Fish that are small enough to go into the tanks that you put into the program :no:

Arghhh! I need ideas -_-

Hmm, probably not much more creative than your folks were but waht about FishStocker 1.0, or TankStocker or AquariumCalc. Okay, so naming programs is not my forte................... :no: :kana:

Most reactions

Back