Hey, I Bought A 3Ft Fish Tank Today And Ive Set It Up How Long Till I

daniel_2kaii9

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hey, i bought a 3ft fish tank today and ive set it up how long till i can put my fish in it 24 hours is it ?
thanks

Please read this; http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=10099

The tank has to cycle, the best way, which causes no damage to fish is to cycle it fishlessly. This can move along quicker if you have a source of cycled media, many members here are willing to donate cycled media.

i'd say leave it a week, so it gets a chance to begin cycling. also ive found many a time that the water goes really cloudy in a new tank between 3 & 5 days...just gives chance for this to clear before you add your fish

put 6 danios in it and go about your business. you can put in some sera nitrivec as per the instructions on the bottle, or put some stuff like JBL FilterStarter on the filter foam. and then just change 20% of water once a week. other than that feed and enjoy the fish.

a lot of people will tell you not to buy fish for 2 months, and instead to daily pour in heavy duty industrial floor cleaners (not kidding, that's really what they do), do water tests twice a day with a 40 euro test kit, and just obsess in general.

your choice.

for goodness sakes, follow Tolaks link and NOT the advicein the 2 posts above me! ( tanks dont cycle by being left for a day a month or a year,
rolleyes.gif
)

if you have any further questions, dont hesitate to ask :)
shelagh xxx

ps.. you 2 have some reading to do!!

Read the stickies on fishless cycling - this method does take a little while longer but really is MUCH easier in the long run and more importantly causes NO HARM TO FISH.

Fish in cycling causes permanent health issues to the fish used - even if you do the massive daily water changes that are required.

Read the stickies on fishless cycling - this method does take a little while longer but really is MUCH easier in the long run and more importantly causes NO HARM TO FISH.

Fish in cycling causes permanent health issues to the fish used - even if you do the massive daily water changes that are required.

no massive water changes, no permanent health issues over here. i don't mind if this nonsense is presented as an alternative, but when it becomes the only way, it really gets on my nerves. the vast majority of people doing fish-in cycling never have any problems. at the very least, me saying the fish is fine, is just as unfounded and unproven as your talk about permanent health issues.

to the OP, you may do whatever suits you best

if you want to do it fish in, theres a sticky for that, and vice versa

as long as you have a testing kit you shouldnt have any problems with fish in, if you keep the levels at 0 and monitor them every day and act accordingly, which obviously will be a lot of water changes

whereas the other option is to do it fishlessly, acquire some ammonia which is substituting for the fish

both done right will work, depending on what you want to do

we'll [hopefully] be here to help you with whatever you decide =]

no massive water changes, no permanent health issues over here. i don't mind if this nonsense is presented as an alternative, but when it becomes the only way, it really gets on my nerves. the vast majority of people doing fish-in cycling never have any problems. at the very least, me saying the fish is fine, is just as unfounded and unproven as your talk about permanent health issues.

Fishless cycling is not nonsence. As for fish in? Ammonia burns do not always recover especially on sensitive gill areas, not to mention shortened life-spans, unnecessary harm being caused and in many cases deaths.

Fishless is not the 'only' way, personally I clone filters but a new fish keeper has no means of doing this. Fish-in is another way, but to be humane to the fish you need to maintain water changes to keep ammonia no higher than 0.25ppm which is a LOT of work and can put beginners off from the start.

In my opinion, the only right way to cycle a tank is one that carries no risk of harm to the fish, so fishless or cloned filters.

Ok, 'other lebowski' I've just read some of your other posts and it is obvious that you 1) have very little experience 2) care very little for fish and 3) appear to want to provoke an argument in every thread you respond to or post. I have very little time for anyone with such little respect for life.

To the Original Poster, please do some real research, read the beginners section and make an informed choice about how you go about things.

I feel that I must step in here. We may not agree with the Other Lebowski, but that is no reason to get nasty about it. Each of us has our own experiences with fish that we believe reflects how the real world works. My own preference is a fishless cycle but I have fish-in cycled many tanks before learning that the fish need not suffer and die that way. It is entirely possible, with today's testing gear and dechlorinators to perform a fish-in cycle with minimal harm to the fish involved. The fact that I don't like doing that much work, when I don't need to, does not make a fish-in cycle cruel or otherwise a terrible and heartless choice. It is a choice that we each need to make for ourselves and would be better based on facts than emotion, IMO. Please keep this thread a civil discussion of the facts. I really don't like to see this extreme appeal to emotional arguments in what should be a civil discussion.

To be honest when I set up my first 3ft tank I put fish in next day as my LFS advised and never lost any at all. Never did any water tests either. I only put 4 platies in and then more fish a week later. This was 15 years' ago and I've only just bought my first ever liquid test kit! I'm not telling the OP to just fill it up and add fish but that's what I did and it worked. :good:

I fish in cycle all my tanks (currently 14), never lost a fish during the cycling time. It just requires a bit more effort really, and most cant be bothered with it. I've had many of my fish breed in cycling tanks, and raise fry, so cant be that stressful IMHO

I do not own a test kit in any form, yet the fish in my tanks are vibrant, active, breeding and look lovely and healthy.

Fishless or fish in cycling is more to do with personal choice, what works for one may not work for another. The OP needs to find the one that works for them :)

Another question that may affect your choice is if you have purchased real plants for your tank if so then please click me.

Most reactions

Back