Help!!

Sarahjanebaran

Reaction score
I have a pearl gourami that has been getting fatter and fatter over the last 3 weeks and I don't know why, I understand they don't birth live fry but lay eggs. I have a community tank with my 2 pearl gouramis, 1 three spotted gourami, 1 blue gourami, 2 baby gouramis( a blue and a yellow ) 4 angel fish, tetras and a ghost knife fish. I've has my set up for about 6 months with no problems. It's a 4ft aqua one tank. Please any advice would be appreciated as I love my fish. I will attach photos and videos.

Attachments

• 20200528_184413.jpg
    20200528_184413.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 74
  • 1591627602831557462551138243696.jpg
    1591627602831557462551138243696.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 67
  • 15916276415226260922677594011890.jpg
    15916276415226260922677594011890.jpg
    963 KB · Views: 64
  • 15916277270689041177026511186452.jpg
    15916277270689041177026511186452.jpg
    991.3 KB · Views: 66
I have a pearl gourami that has been getting fatter and fatter over the last 3 weeks and I don't know why, I understand they don't birth live fry but lay eggs. I have a community tank with my 2 pearl gouramis, 1 three spotted gourami, 1 blue gourami, 2 baby gouramis( a blue and a yellow ) 4 angel fish, tetras and a ghost knife fish. I've has my set up for about 6 months with no problems. It's a 4ft aqua one tank. Please any advice would be appreciated as I love my fish. I will attach photos and videos.
Any changes in behaviour, swimming issues?

If the fish is acting lethargic. It could possibly be dropsy. Do wat
If the fish is acting lethargic, it could possibly mean dropsy. If the fish is acting normally. It could mean, it's just pregnant, just give it some time. Check the symptoms of dropsy. There is no cure for it. Do a quick water change, and do the best you can. Good luck!

Yes, it could be dropsy. If the fish is lethargic, or has poor appetite or is hanging out near the top or bottom of the tank and not acting normally. If it is dropsy, it is important to understand that dropsy is NOT actually a disease... it is a "condition" where the abdomen fills with fluid and extends, and it is usually a symptom of an underlying condition, such as an internal bacterial or parasitic infection, or poor kidney/liver functioning due to poor water conditions. All of these diseases/infections are treatable if caught early enough and proper treatment provided (with the possible exception of kidney/liver failure).

If the fish is acting healthy and eating normally, it could be that she is gravid (full of eggs) and ready to spawn. You will have to keep an eye on the fishes overall health to figure out what is going on, and if it seams unhealthy try to figure out what the fish might have, or if it is acting normally and eating fine, wait and see if she lays eggs.

I should have added to my previous post.... What are the water parameters in your tank? Hardness (GH), pH, Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates?

She seems to be acting as she always has no changes besides the big belly. Shes eating still, swims around, has no changes to her colour or skin, ive been looking up all sorts of reasons why but im having trouble finding any info because of her unsual symptoms?? I also just set up my 3 ft tank earlier to maybe transfer them??
And to be honest I haven't checked the levels for about 3 weeks since my last water change. I have a 2000w canister filter running, heater is set at 27 degrees, I do have a air filter running but it's only on low and situated at one end.
I have plants for coverage and also floating one's. This is the only problem I've had, and to be honest I just want to make sure I'm doing everything I can.

She seems to be acting as she always has no changes besides the big belly. Shes eating still, swims around, has no changes to her colour or skin, ive been looking up all sorts of reasons why but im having trouble finding any info because of her unsual symptoms?? I also just set up my 3 ft tank earlier to maybe transfer them??
And to be honest I haven't checked the levels for about 3 weeks since my last water change. I have a 2000w canister filter running, heater is set at 27 degrees, I do have a air filter running but it's only on low and situated at one end.
I have plants for coverage and also floating one's. This is the only problem I've had, and to be honest I just want to make sure I'm doing everything I can.
It wouldn't hurt to test your water parameters just to make sure they are where they should be. Water parameters can change over time...

I would watch her closely for any other signs/symptoms of illness... If all you are noticing so far is a fat belly and she is not exhibiting any other signs of illness, I wouldn't do anything at this point... She could just be gravid (full of eggs). You did say that all of the other fish seem fine, so I would just monitor her closely for now. Just keep an eye out for a change in activity level, behavior, loss of appetite, and look for any external signs of infection (i.e. white spots, patches, etc..) If you see any of these things, you will want to look into things further and figure out what might be going on.

Most reactions

Back