Help

carfabreb

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a new tropical fish owner and have a probably stupid question but when a fish dies should you remove it asap from the tank? Also I started with six Tetra Silver Tips and am now down to four in a week :sad: :sad: :sad: Each time I took the fish back and had the water tested, they said the water was fine (obviously the fish was not) .. what am I doing wrong????

Welcome to the forum! Sorry for your losses. :rip: You should remove a dead fish asap. Is your filter cycled?

Firstly if you are a fish owner you need a liquid freshwater testing kit. No one can keep fish without this as you need to be able to test your water as soon as you think something is not right so you can fix the problem. Its no good taking it along to your fish shop - some of those are worse than useless!

If you did not cycle your tank before you added the fish or dont know what cycling is then theres your problem. - your fish are in toxic water which is going to kill them. Read up on this link and start doing immediate 90% water changes until you get your testing kit and can see whats going on.

cycling with fish

WOW!!! thanks for all the help guys, well took a water sample to a reputable fish shop where I also got talking to the owner, my water had ammonia in, so I have done a 20% Water change after cleaning the gravel, filter, tank glass and purchased a liquid freshwater testing kit and some new food (looks like they may not like the one I got). Turns out where I got my tank is not the best shop in the world :angry: they sold me too many fish too soon and probably the wrong kind to start off with. So i'm very happy I found this new place who know what they're talking about and are very keen to help a newbie like myself :)

Good advice is so important, I found out about cycling the hard way and lost lots of neons that should never have been sold for a cycling tank.

I prefer cardinals now anyway!

WOW!!! thanks for all the help guys, well took a water sample to a reputable fish shop where I also got talking to the owner, my water had ammonia in, so I have done a 20% Water change after cleaning the gravel, filter, tank glass and purchased a liquid freshwater testing kit and some new food (looks like they may not like the one I got). Turns out where I got my tank is not the best shop in the world :angry: they sold me too many fish too soon and probably the wrong kind to start off with. So i'm very happy I found this new place who know what they're talking about and are very keen to help a newbie like myself :)

This forum is better than every LFS I have ever been to, and I've been to a lot. There are people here (myself excluded, but I'm trying) that know fishkeeping like I know the rock group KISS. You may have to do larger water changes than 20% and more than one a day depending on your ammonia reading. Ammonia and Nitrite have to be kept to as close to zero as possible. A huge percentage of us have been derailed when we were new by shops that only want to make sales.

Yes I also have fell fowl if this which cost me dearly. Lessons learnt and finding well experienced fish keepers who can offer reliable advice is priceless! ����.

can anyone help, i set up my tropical tank 3 weeks ago and everything was o.k and now i have a film on top of my water and ive had 6 neon like fish die within 24 hrs can someone help pleasse !!!

Unlike what a fish seller will tell you, you can't add fish to a tank right away. Please follow the Fish In Cycling link under my tank pic for detailed instructions. Any questions after reading, just ask.

I took a water sample down to the shop and i was informed the water quality was great, sohe told me which fish i could get i got a mixture 12 in total and six neon like have died an i tested my levels and there all high ? I had the tank running for about one week before adding fish x

Unfortunately almost all sellers of fish lie, they just want to make money and could not care less if all your fish die because they will blame you or sell you something else. When you first start a tank the water will be good because it's new. As your 12 fish live in it they produce ammonia which builds up and kills fish. You are now in a "Fish In Cycle" and need to follow the Fish In Cycling instructions to save your fish. Please feel free to ask questions after reading the Fish In Cycling info.

Hiya ive just read the fish in cycle and it was helpful. Just to make sure i understand, ive got to get my ammoina and nitrite levels down to 0, Nitrate can be higher ?

Most reactions

Back