Help!

AKGrown

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i'm not to sure what to do here.
I did a rather large water change about 80% because i have been dealing with ammonia issues.
I then added stress coat to the water.
My lil glofish (who was deformed already) passed away only minutes after.
my platys are now acting strange!! swimming irratically at times and slightly sideways.
Can anyone help me??

Sorry, I can't offer much advice, except to suggest that you keep the water params as good as possible. How high did the ammonia level get? If it was fairly high (over 0.25) the fish may have suffered ammonia poisoning. If this is the case, they are unlikely to recover since ammonia will damage the gills making it very difficult to breathe. :(

How long have you had the tank? If it's established, you should not be getting much of an ammonia spike unless it's overstocked. If the tank is established already and nitrifying bacteria are well established, you could add some ammonia chips to the filter to help prevent further spikes. If the is not quite so well established then you may want to add something that will neutralize the ammonia, such as Ammo Lock. This will instantly convert the toxic ammonia into a non-toxic form; leaving it in the tank (in harmless form) allowing the cycle to continue.

When doing a water change, especially a major one like that, it's imperative that the temperature of the new water match as closely as possible to that of the original. Fish are very sensitive to temperature changes and can become stressed and ill very quickly. If the temperature is exactly the same, the water changes will be only minimally stressful. If at all possible, use a thermometer to ensure that the new water is the same as the old before you add the new to avoid any casualties caused by temperature fluctuations.

Good luck!

Thanks!
My ammonia was at about .25 and i couldnt get it below even with 50% water changes daily.

I have reduced feedings to bare minimum.

Also my tank now had 3 platys 3 corys 2 glofish and 1 oto..plus 2 frogs & 3 snails, it is a 20 gallon tank, planted.

All other levels seemed to be doing fine. Nitrite = 0 Nitrates very low Chlorine = 0 PH at right about neural.

I had a large ammonia spike and once tested I quickly did a large water change etc about a month or so ago. I didn't lose anyone everyone seemed rather content.

My ammonia is at 0 now, hence my choice for a large water change.

The temp was close but my local fish stores only carry stick on thermoms no actual ones. so it is hard to test the water exactly for temp.

How long has the tank been set up.
Can you post full water stats please.
What the make of the test kit you are using.
How often do you maintain the tank.

How long has the tank been set up.
Can you post full water stats please.
What the make of the test kit you are using.
How often do you maintain the tank.
6 or 7 months
ph 7.0
Chlorine 0
nitrite 0
nitrate very low
ammonia now at 0
i am using the api liquid test kit
and i have been doing water changes every day to every other day because i am having issues keeping my ammonia down.

How often do you preform a gravel vac.

Ammonia reading can be caused by over feeding, lack of maintance, rotting leaves, and plants.
Debris.

Test your tap water in ammonia.

How often do you preform a gravel vac.

Ammonia reading can be caused by over feeding, lack of maintance, rotting leaves, and plants.
Debris.

Test your tap water in ammonia.
I did check it it always goes up i gravel vacc every night..:(

and i have been doing water changes every day to every other day because i am having issues keeping my ammonia down.

Since the tank has been running for a while, it's likely the ammonia spikes has something to do with the tank inhabitants, or the amount of food. How about adding some ammonia chips to the filter? This would absorb the ammo and keep it from spiking quite as high.

Since the tank has been running for a while, it's likely the ammonia spikes has something to do with the tank inhabitants, or the amount of food. How about adding some ammonia chips to the filter? This would absorb the ammo and keep it from spiking quite as high.
what are ammonia chips? and what brands would be best? thanks for all of your help btw!! :)

When you do a water change do you add a dechlorinator in the bucket of water before it enters the tank? Chlorine kills beneficial so you could be setting yourself back.

I suggest a hang on the back filter with a bio wheel because bacteria seems to grow really well on one and when u clean the tank or anything the bacteria there stay intact because you never touch the wheel.

If you buy something to chlorinate the water you can look for products like Prime that also neutralize the ammonia and nitrites in the water. Also some LFS sell reverse osmosis water as well.

what are ammonia chips? and what brands would be best? thanks for all of your help btw!! :)

Ammonia chips look something like little pieces of whitish gravel, but you put them in the filter to help absorb ammonia. Cut off the foot of an old stocking and put some of the chips in and put that in or around your filter, so water goes through. Rinse everything under cold water before putting it in.

I have the White Diamond made by Marineland; but I've heard that API Ammo Chips works just as well. I don't need it often, but I always make sure I have some around, just in case...It's made my life a lot easier on more than one occasion!

When you do a water change do you add a dechlorinator in the bucket of water before it enters the tank? Chlorine kills beneficial so you could be setting yourself back.

I suggest a hang on the back filter with a bio wheel because bacteria seems to grow really well on one and when u clean the tank or anything the bacteria there stay intact because you never touch the wheel.

If you buy something to chlorinate the water you can look for products like Prime that also neutralize the ammonia and nitrites in the water. Also some LFS sell reverse osmosis water as well.
I use dechlorinator (stress coat +)
I also have an established penguin 100, it is an over the back filter with a biowheel.
I also laready have prime but dont see that it makes the difference that i would like it to :(

Ammonia chips look something like little pieces of whitish gravel, but you put them in the filter to help absorb ammonia. Cut off the foot of an old stocking and put some of the chips in and put that in or around your filter, so water goes through. Rinse everything under cold water before putting it in.

I have the White Diamond made by Marineland; but I've heard that API Ammo Chips works just as well. I don't need it often, but I always make sure I have some around, just in case...It's made my life a lot easier on more than one occasion!
THanks you THanks you! :)

Most reactions

Back