Help With Cycling

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

madfrog2000

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Does anyone in New Zealand know where I can get an Ammonia source? having trouble finding it.

If I can't find any Ammonia sources apart from letting food rot (Which sounds disgusting) should I just do a fish in cycle instead?
I did find something called Cloudy Ammonia but it went turned into bubbles when I shook it in the bottle which is bad I read somewhere. 

The Pet shop kept telling me to use some kinda bottled bacteria then put fish in the tank after a week. but that is not going to help cycle the tank is it? 

I believe if you use cloudy ammonia, you don't shake it before using, and when you're done cycling to really rinse the tank well.
HERE are some other ammonia sources though, scroll to post #30. :)

Using bottled bacteria and putting fish in after a week would result in a fish-in cycle, so glad you havn't listened to them!

Hey, somewhere I read if you shake it and it makes bubbles means it has other stuff in it making it not pure ammonia. 

Just looked at #30 that would be great if they shipped to New Zealand
sad.png
only ships to Australia. 

Thanks for your quick response.

Also I got a filter today 2nd hand it only has a sponge in it. (aqua one power liquid filter 103f) should it something else than just a sponge inside?

Yeah I know. But have read of people cycling successfully using the cloudy ammonia in the way that I mentioned. It's up to you if you want to try that or not though!

Hmm, I'm not sure then :(

Do you mean parts of the filter are missing or are you asking if just sponge is fine for filter media?
I just have THIS in my filters, though am going to be using something different in my new canister.

Yeah just been searching up and found few people using the cloudy ammonia for going to try that. Thanks

I am unsure if parts are missing as my 2 other filters in other tanks both have sponge + media stuff.
But the one I got with this new tank has no media just sponge. Maybe it is meant to be sponge only? 

You're welcome, I hope it works out!

Hrrm..I am not the best person on filters.

Maybe post some pics and someone else might know? D:

Thanks me too the tank is for my girlfriend (Valentines gift).

Here is pic of my filter

pZP3ihe.png

4. is the sponge 

madfrog2000 said:
Also I got a filter today 2nd hand it only has a sponge in it. (aqua one power liquid filter 103f) should it something else than just a sponge inside?

My betta's tank came with a 101f and that has just the one sponge. A lot of internal filters just have sponges.

I can't comment on how good they are though. The tank was a replacement for an existing tank (which was getting a bit scruffy as I'd had it for years) and I used the filter I already had. I did test it though and it was far too strong for a betta in 26 litres of water, even with the flow turned down as far as it would go.

Ah thanks that answers my question. Thanks all for the help! 

Hey there, I am from NZ too, and I picked up a bottle of Cloudy Ammonia from Countdown, it was only around $3 for 1L. I believe if you let it sit for a few days, it will be fine to add into your tank, or please tell me otherwise o_O

Hey, my tank seems to be cycling really well with the cloudy Ammonia already in a week Ammonia + Nitrites are near 0ppm :O

Thanks! Thats what im going to be using, great to hear it worked for you!

Most reactions

Back