Help! What's Wrong With Zazu?

SwimmingInMusic

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I need some help
Dunno.gif
My new betta, Zazu, has developed fin rot. Down below are some pictures. 

His behavior hasn't changed at all. In fact, he still thinks he's a salmon
rofl.gif
He swims up the flowing water, it's so funny
smile.png
Also he's really nosy and very friendly to my dad, my mom, and I 
rofl.gif

rofl.gif
If you could help that would be awesome! Thanks
smile.png

Attachments

• IMG_20131010_153653 (1).jpg
    IMG_20131010_153653 (1).jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20131010_153710 (1).jpg
    IMG_20131010_153710 (1).jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20131010_153714 (1).jpg
    IMG_20131010_153714 (1).jpg
    6 KB · Views: 59
Is there anything in his tank that could have teared his fins?

Daily water changes of around 50% with dechlorinated and temperature matched water should clear it up in no time :)

Yeah maybe the rocks in the dirt in the bottom of the tank 

Thanks for that extra tip:) 

Is this fin rot minor? 

P.S. I'm just really worried with what happened to Playdoh, I don't want that happening again. Even though Zazu has a different problem 

P.S.S. One of the pictures has white dots. He isn't scratching himself on anything. What would that mean?

SwimmingInMusic said:
Yeah maybe the rocks in the dirt in the bottom of the tank 

Thanks for that extra tip:) 

Is this fin rot minor? 

P.S. I'm just really worried with what happened to Playdoh, I don't want that happening again. Even though Zazu has a different problem 

P.S.S. One of the pictures has white dots. He isn't scratching himself on anything. What would that mean?
While I can't see them particularly well. White dots are never a good sign, ich is something no fishkeeper wants to deal with

My dad and I talked a little bit ago. Zazu's spots have been, I have seen first-hand, falling off. Also, as I said his behavior is the same. Could these white dots be something stuck in his slime coat? 

SwimmingInMusic said:
My dad and I talked a little bit ago. Zazu's spots have been, I have seen first-hand, falling off. Also, as I said his behavior is the same. Could these white dots be something stuck in his slime coat? 
One stage of the ich life style is when it falls of the fish and must find a host in the next 24 hours. I would do some research of your own and look up ich/whitespot. Then you can make the decision for yourself since only you can see your fish in person.

Do the spots look like little grains of salt? If they do, it is unfortunately ICH, and you will need to get some salt (I've forgotten what type, sorry) and raise the temp ASAP.

TBH, I can't really tell how major the fin rot is, since the pictures are quite blurry :/
Even some of the more serious cases of fin rot can be healed with the fresh water method. :)

Yeah he is really energetic + the fact I took the pics with my phone. I looked about five minutes ago and all the spots are gone o.o He's still acting like himself. He's swimming as fast as he can against the current so I guess he's okay in that sense. So yeah, he brushes past the bottom less than he did. He's doing more of a horse race last bend sort of thing I guess you could say. Cross your fingers and pray :)

Oh and on the note of what the spots looked like, they didn't look like salt. They looked more like a tiny, tiny powdered sugar speck. It looked like he got it swimming up the current. I also think the flowing water helped brush the white spots off. Thanks for all your help and advice:) 

Since the tank is a planted aquarium would the salt hurt the plants?  What should she do to either eradicate this parasite before it gets a foothold, or prevent it if this is a false alarm?  Her mom took a look when she got home and to her the tail looked injured rather than rotten.  Thank you all for stepping in to help, it seems that something happens around the house every time I leave and just like now usually within the first 24 hours.  It's a bit hard to be reassuring and helpful when I'm over 200 miles away battling traffic and trying to concentrate on driving safely.

matthewlee1959 said:
Since the tank is a planted aquarium would the salt hurt the plants?  What should she do to either eradicate this parasite before it gets a foothold, or prevent it if this is a false alarm?  Her mom took a look when she got home and to her the tail looked injured rather than rotten.  Thank you all for stepping in to help, it seems that something happens around the house every time I leave and just like now usually within the first 24 hours.  It's a bit hard to be reassuring and helpful when I'm over 200 miles away battling traffic and trying to concentrate on driving safely.
White spots aside, it's very possible the betta's tail could have been injured instead of a disease. They have long flowing tails that can easily tear on plastic plants or jagged corners of rocks

If he only seemed to get them while swimming against the current, they may have just been little air bubbles.

If the tail looks more teared/ripped instead of rotten, then clean water will still be the best thing. 
Is it possible he ripped his tail on the filter?

In terms of the salt, either freshwater aquatic salt or table salt will work, though I would hold off using it until you are certain it is needed.

What is his tank size BTW? I think it is 5G from what I've seen on other topics?

He's all by his lonesome in a 10 gallon.  It is entirely possible he tore his tail on something.  He loves to use his tail and dorsal like sails filling them with current and letting it push him along.  If it got wrapped around something such as the filter inflow it is entirely possible he could have torn it.  Swimming thought yesterday she was seeing dust type particles from the filter getting washed into the tank and that ZaZu was swimming through the stream.  If he got some of that on him it could look like ick to someone who didn't know for sure.  BTW any thoughts on how to bring down the ph?  It's showing as 7.6, Swimming added some blackwater extract, but it didn't seem to help.  Ammonia has been at 0 and tested every other day to make sure it wasn't becoming an issue.  I'm in the process of creating a movie, it won't be the best but will give everyone some idea of what the tank looks like as well as a bit about ZaZu.

TBH, I wouldn't worry about the pH, mine is 8.0 and I don't worry about it. 
Messing with it often causes more problems than it fixes.

It is certainly possible, I think the best thing to do for the moment, is to just keep an eye on it.

Most reactions

Back