HELP water change killed all my fish!!

When adjusting water it should really be done before adding to a tank. That's easy when refilling with buckets, though impossible when refilling with a hose.

I add Seachem Prime dosage for the total volume of the tank. I add the amount of tap water to my tank, then I
I was told off for saying the dose should be for entire tank volume when refilling with a hose :S . I was informed in no uncertain terms that the amount should be for the volume of new water only, and where a tap/RO mix is used for the volume of new tap water only as water conditioner is not needed for RO water.

That's very sad news about your fish,

did the Root Tabs play a large part of this ? I just added 2 x API Root tabs to my 60L which i am now wondering if i should remove

did the Root Tabs play a large part of this ? I just added 2 x API Root tabs to my 60L which i am now wondering if i should remove
It's the only thing I can think of as nothing else had changed. Still dealing with a very small ammonia spike in my betta tank but nothing like what happened to my main tank.

Mine were unbranded so not sure if that had a part to play, from what others have said API are highly rated.

When adjusting water it should really be done before adding to a tank. That's easy when refilling with buckets, though impossible when refilling with a hose.

I was told off for saying the dose should be for entire tank volume when refilling with a hose :S . I was informed in no uncertain terms that the amount should be for the volume of new water only, and where a tap/RO mix is used for the volume of new tap water only as water conditioner is not needed for RO water.
Eep hopefully I haven't started anything controversial!

The dose will neutralize the entire tank of any ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. The dechlorinator is only active for 48 hours, so I haven't had any issues with the fish at all. I got the idea of doing this from a spokesman for Seachem and from Cory at Aquarium Co-Op who do this for their entire tanks.
When To Add Dechlorinator During Water Change - (Seachem Prime)

For my large tanks, I can't mix the RO/DI with tap water conveniently in buckets before adding. For my smaller tanks, I usually mix in a 5 gallon bucket, but lately I have been mixing inside the tank like I do for my large tanks. When I have a large tank, mixing in buckets is too messy and inconvenient for me. I do 35-50% weekly water changes.

All my fish are healthy and have not been a problem. My tap water has good parameters to mix with my RO water. I wouldn't mix GH, pH, and trace mineral additives with RO/DI water inside the tank like some have to do because their tap water is too toxic to use. Luckily, my tap water is safe, with good pH, GH, KH, and minerals to mix with.

Last edited:
The suspicion here is that they want your money, the more you use the more you buy…
People on TFF don’t have that incentive.
Sure, but Prime calls for 2 drops per gallon are pretty small, so it is not much of an incentive. I think it is a good practice, and it neutralizes the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates to boot. I am a firm believer that whatever works for you is what you should do.

Last edited:
It's the only thing I can think of as nothing else had changed. Still dealing with a very small ammonia spike in my betta tank but nothing like what happened to my main tank.

Mine were unbranded so not sure if that had a part to play, from what others have said API are highly rated.

Ok thanks, i have seen the guys on MD fish tanks on youtube using api root tabs so assumed they must be good, but i do now wonder if two in a 60 Litre aquarium is too much, i put one either end of the tank in the planted areas, think ill take one out tonight to be on the safe side.

Ok thanks, i have seen the guys on MD fish tanks on youtube using api root tabs so assumed they must be good, but i do now wonder if two in a 60 Litre aquarium is too much, i put one either end of the tank in the planted areas, think ill take one out tonight to be on the safe side.
If you're not measuring ammonia or nitrite spikes, I wouldnt worry too much. It is annoying that API wont disclose their ingredients in the safety sheets. Flourish tabs list their ingredients in the safety sheets, and the nitrogen-contributing chemical is not ammonia-based. I use Flourish tabs with no side effects from ammonia spiking.

Just so we know what the fertiliser was, they were unbranded root tabs from eBay. This is the photo from the listing

fertilser.jpg

The description listed the contents as

Contents

17% nitrogen (N)
9% phosphorous pentoxide (P2O5)
11% Potassium oxide (K2O)
2% Magnesium oxide (MgO)
0.01% Boron (B) 0.006% soluble in water
0.025% Copper (Cu) 0.017% soluble in water
0.22% Iron (Fe) of which soluble in water, chelated by EDTA 0.033%
0.03% Manganese
0.01% Molybdenum 0.008% soluble in water
0.008% Zinc

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Yes I like watching his videos, he's sponsored by API these days I believe but did use them beforehand. Could always monitor your water parameters just to see what happens?

I've used way more (brand name) root tabs than that at a time in my 60L tanks without problems... I stick with brand names now like Seachem, Tetra, API - and I'm the one who also experienced a tank crisis from root tabs before, although mine were also cheap, unbranded tabs bought on Amazon and added that then sent my nitrites sky high and caused a tank crisis... although I was fortunate not to experience a tank crash like poor @Lcc86 did :( 💔

With a name brand like API, you don't need to worry, especially with just two tabs. If you'd stuck two dozen in there and only plants were java ferns, sure, that's overkill! But name brand root tabs, sensibly used by sticking them under root feeding plants like crypts, swords, vallis etc are often helpful and needed, don't usually cause a problem!

My problem happened because I used some cheap unbranded stuff with unknown ingredients that broke down way too fast and released way too much of whatever it was into the water column. Lesson learned, I stick with name brands now, and say the same to others as a caution when it comes to using root tabs - to stick with name brands and hopefully not experience the same kind of issue I did when I cheaped out and didn't think about the potential consequences.

But I was also luckier than in this case, since the tank affected was one where I was using my hard tap water with hardwater fish, I already had a routine of large weekly water changes anyway, so removing the toxic root tab balls, large water changes, and adding Prime were 'easy' fixes in that it didn't cause any other wild swings in water chemistry.

@Lcc86 I'm so, so sorry this happened to you :(💔

I feel partly responsible, and feel awful that you've gone through it, and whether I played a part in that decision, since I said about how I did huge water changes when root tabs sent my nitrites sky high in your previous thread. :( I saw others with much better chemistry knowledge than I have were talking in that thread too so I hadn't checked in again, then was offline for most of the week, came back to see this had unfolded. 😭

I've never used RO myself, and always admit to being a chemistry dunce, didn't realise you were having to use RO and remineralise and all that, or the potential swings in pH you could be facing. Learning a lot from reading the responses by people like @Essjay, @TwoTankAmin , @Naughts @gwand and others. Unfortunately chemistry stuff also doesn't stick in my brain well!

So when I first learned about GH and stuff here, and found out my hard water was way too hard for my otocinclus, and RO wasn't possible for me then, but that I could use a mix of my tap water and rainwater (if uncontaminated, and I did get a GH and KH test kit and tested it much more often at first and while learning all this) to make my hard water softer, but without having to worry about RO and remineralising etc, so with a lot of guidance from chemistry whizzes like those guys (@Essjay has kindly and patiently talked me through any chemistry issues I'm struggling to wrap my brain around since I joined!) I wound up doing, and still do, a 50/50 mix of tap to rainwater in my soft water tanks. Gradually adjusted it from straight tap water to a larger and larger mix of rainwater over a few weeks until I reached 50/50. Still on the higher end of the range for the fish I keep in that tank, but brings it into a safe range for them, and keeps it simple for me, because I know I'd mess it up if it got more complex than that!

@Lcc86 Please don't blame yourself, beat yourself up, or let this put you off the hobby. You were handling an intense situation the absolute best as you could, and clearly put a lot of work, time and love into your fish and tanks. I know that this is heart-breaking, and you're bound to feel badly about it. But just hope you don't beat yourself up for too long. Give yourself the break you'd give anyone else if this was someone else's thread and tank, you know? I know for sure I couldn't have figured out or handled it myself. Even after reading everything the others said, I can only really get a basic grasp on how it happened! This hobby is intense with the learning curve, none of us are or can be experts on every topic, and you were clearly going above and beyond in trying to do the best you can for your fish.

I've used way more (brand name) root tabs than that at a time in my 60L tanks without problems... I stick with brand names now like Seachem, Tetra, API - and I'm the one who also experienced a tank crisis from root tabs before, although mine were also cheap, unbranded tabs bought on Amazon and added that then sent my nitrites sky high and caused a tank crisis... although I was fortunate not to experience a tank crash like poor @Lcc86 did :( 💔

With a name brand like API, you don't need to worry, especially with just two tabs. If you'd stuck two dozen in there and only plants were java ferns, sure, that's overkill! But name brand root tabs, sensibly used by sticking them under root feeding plants like crypts, swords, vallis etc are often helpful and needed, don't usually cause a problem!

My problem happened because I used some cheap unbranded stuff with unknown ingredients that broke down way too fast and released way too much of whatever it was into the water column. Lesson learned, I stick with name brands now, and say the same to others as a caution when it comes to using root tabs - to stick with name brands and hopefully not experience the same kind of issue I did when I cheaped out and didn't think about the potential consequences.

But I was also luckier than in this case, since the tank affected was one where I was using my hard tap water with hardwater fish, I already had a routine of large weekly water changes anyway, so removing the toxic root tab balls, large water changes, and adding Prime were 'easy' fixes in that it didn't cause any other wild swings in water chemistry.
Thanks for the info and advice, i ended up leaving them in.

@Lcc86 I'm so, so sorry this happened to you :(💔

I feel partly responsible, and feel awful that you've gone through it, and whether I played a part in that decision, since I said about how I did huge water changes when root tabs sent my nitrites sky high in your previous thread. :( I saw others with much better chemistry knowledge than I have were talking in that thread too so I hadn't checked in again, then was offline for most of the week, came back to see this had unfolded. 😭

I've never used RO myself, and always admit to being a chemistry dunce, didn't realise you were having to use RO and remineralise and all that, or the potential swings in pH you could be facing. Learning a lot from reading the responses by people like @Essjay, @TwoTankAmin , @Naughts @gwand and others. Unfortunately chemistry stuff also doesn't stick in my brain well!

So when I first learned about GH and stuff here, and found out my hard water was way too hard for my otocinclus, and RO wasn't possible for me then, but that I could use a mix of my tap water and rainwater (if uncontaminated, and I did get a GH and KH test kit and tested it much more often at first and while learning all this) to make my hard water softer, but without having to worry about RO and remineralising etc, so with a lot of guidance from chemistry whizzes like those guys (@Essjay has kindly and patiently talked me through any chemistry issues I'm struggling to wrap my brain around since I joined!) I wound up doing, and still do, a 50/50 mix of tap to rainwater in my soft water tanks. Gradually adjusted it from straight tap water to a larger and larger mix of rainwater over a few weeks until I reached 50/50. Still on the higher end of the range for the fish I keep in that tank, but brings it into a safe range for them, and keeps it simple for me, because I know I'd mess it up if it got more complex than that!

@Lcc86 Please don't blame yourself, beat yourself up, or let this put you off the hobby. You were handling an intense situation the absolute best as you could, and clearly put a lot of work, time and love into your fish and tanks. I know that this is heart-breaking, and you're bound to feel badly about it. But just hope you don't beat yourself up for too long. Give yourself the break you'd give anyone else if this was someone else's thread and tank, you know? I know for sure I couldn't have figured out or handled it myself. Even after reading everything the others said, I can only really get a basic grasp on how it happened! This hobby is intense with the learning curve, none of us are or can be experts on every topic, and you were clearly going above and beyond in trying to do the best you can for your fish.
Thanks @AdoraBelle Dearheart, I feel bad that you feel responsible in any way whatsoever! My go to was also large water changes as it made sense given the symptoms. I'm just glad I understand what the issue was now. Funnily enough I only moved over to RO originally because my local utility company were changing all our water mains over a few months and only just finished, so I didn't want to trust the tap water in case they were using any chemicals etc.

Weirdly, breaking down the big tank has given me space to set up a desk next to my remaining tanks so I can actually work there now and get to see my betta and frogs a bit more, which is nice, albeit rather distracting!

Thanks @AdoraBelle Dearheart, I feel bad that you feel responsible in any way whatsoever!
Well please don't feel bad that I feel bad, or we'll be in a weird, badness loop we can't escape from!
My go to was also large water changes as it made sense given the symptoms. I'm just glad I understand what the issue was now. Funnily enough I only moved over to RO originally because my local utility company were changing all our water mains over a few months and only just finished, so I didn't want to trust the tap water in case they were using any chemicals etc.

Ah.. yikes! Completely understandable why you'd move to RO with that! What a nightmare. Another example of how you were going above and beyond to take care of your tanks. And you had a good grasp on that for a long time! They were doing well for so long. It's horrible that so often these things that are out of control can happen. Like people who've lost whole tanks or more because of a change from the water company... you were avoiding something like that, only for a variable like those root tabs to then throw things out instead. 😭

Urgh, it just sucks, I'm sorry!
Weirdly, breaking down the big tank has given me space to set up a desk next to my remaining tanks so I can actually work there now and get to see my betta and frogs a bit more, which is nice, albeit rather distracting!

Aaaww! Love that there's a heart-warming, positive spin. I'm glad this isn't putting you off the hobby entirely, that you're going to focus on the nano tanks and the fish you still have, at least for now. Admire you a lot for that, and grateful you were able to share and others contribute so we can all learn from things like this, as sad as it is.

There's still so much you can do with smaller tanks after all. And like you said when you were able to quickly do W/Cs in half an hour before work, there's a lot of pros to having smaller tanks! When I'm doing a change now on my 15L Ciano shrimp cube, I'm always shocked how easy and quick it is to do a W/C on it now.

Glad your betta and frogs were able to ride things out too! Crossing fingers and fins that things stay steady and peaceful for you all for a long while. Let you recover and reset after a horrible experience, and especially as you recover from steroid injections in the spine. My mum used to get those now and then for back pain, I hope it helps you, back pain is such a torment and difficult to treat.

@Wills has a lovely journal about his little desk tank! There's a charm with having a little tank you can sit and observe while you're working, when you need a moment with nature! You might find it a bit distracting at first, but I'd bet overall your productivity might well go up! There's a soothing effect when there's water involved, I reckon. Plus since they get used to you sitting so close, you'll probably see a lot of things you might not have expected to. I've only had my first betta for a couple of weeks now, and I'm loving the differences, where I'm focusing on a specific fish to feed, that he comes to the tank and interacts with me in a unique way compared to my other fish... the cute way he moves those little pointy front fins... they're cool little fish! ❤️

Most reactions

Back