Help...stocking Advice Wanted...

lisa2701

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
hi everyone,

So I believe I am VERY close to finishing my testing phase on my filter. I got a filter that was already cycled, but have been testing it with ammonia since yesterday (testing and re dosing with ammonia every 12 hours). Its processing 3ppm of ammonia in about 12 hours which is great. So I am now starting to think about what fish to stock - or more to the point how many...

The fish I like are:

Guppy
Endlers
Otto's.

I know the Otto's don't do well in new tanks, so I am going to hold off on them, but want to keep space in the tank for 1-2 of them later down the line.

I am having trouble getting Endlers too believe it or not so I'd like advice on Guppies/otto's only and Guppies/Endlers and eventually an otto or two.

Oh, I have a 48 litre tank (interpret 48l fishbox) with an Interpret PF1 filter.

So how many of each would you advise?

i would help but i only know gallons if u could convert the liters to gallons i could help u

Generally Otto's like to be in groups of three or more - they like to school when they're nervous.
As for the live bearing fish, keep them in a ratio of 1 male to two or three females and you should be set
(But yes, it is necessary to know how many Gallons your tank is to know how many fish you can hold)

Sorry my tank is 12 US gallons.

I wasn't going to keep females at all as I don't have the space for them breeding, is an all male tank an issue?

EDIT: Sorry posted from my phone hence I kept it short and sweet. I know the tank is small which is why I am trying to work it out and make sure I don't over stock.

If we can work 3 otto's in then great, if not then I'll need to re-think the otto's which is sad cause i've really fallen in love with the little things :sad:

well i dont know about the other fish but i do know u could have 2-3 guppies with room for more fish

That tank is too small for otos. They need to be in groups of 6+ and they eat CONSTANTLY and need a fair amount of water volume to prevent PH and hardness swings; no way they can get enough to eat in such a small tank with lots of competition. You could easily keep a group of 10 endlers with room to spare; just remember that guppys and endlers will hybridize.

For stocking I would suggest:
(oversize your filter or get another filter; you shouldn't need an air stone so use the money saved on this)
10x endlers
1x L169 OR L105 or L206 or LDA068(it is imperative that these fish have access to REAL wood and make sure you get them from a reputable dealer; many look-alikes will easily outgrow your tank).

Thanks for your replies.

I'm not keen on getting a pleco. Don't get me wrong I love them and I really wanted one before I done my research on them, but I'm not keen on the waste they produce. I am so disapoointed that I won't be able to get my otto's, but thats how it goes I suppose when you have such a small tank :sad:

So leaves me with Endlers and Guppies... as previously mentioned I would only keep males so as to prevent breeding and hybridizing (don't even know if thats a word :blush: ).

My thoughts were

6 Endlers
3 Guppies

I this too much, room for more?

Mind you, keep in mind I am really struggling to find Endlers so this might end up being a guppy only tank by the sounds of it.

What about some dwarf corys (corydoras hastatus)?

Have you considered sparkling gouramis instead of a livebearer? They are pretty fish!

I like the Dwarf Corys :good: so i'd be interested to see how they could fit into things - need to keep about 6 of them don't you? I really like the vibrant colours of the guppy and the endlers. Sparkling Gouramis is nice, but not quite as vibrant. i'm picky I know :rolleyes:

Well you could put 5 or 6 in with 3 guppies and you would be fully stocked.

Hmm needs a bit of thought I think. I'm not sure what way to go with it. Maybe I should just stick to Guppy and Endlers, or just guppies. I really don't know. I'd like a little bottom dweller but there doesn't appear to be any suitable ones. :/

Rember corys need sand; idk if you are willing to deal with sand. I'm also not sure if you can have an adequate sized group of dwarf corys I would suggest endlers over guppys; small fish in a small tank.

You may be able to get away with- 6-10 endlers and 6-8 dwarf corys.

here's a picture of my tank (so you can visualise it more than anything). As you can see I have sand already, its what I prefer. i really do like the dwarf corys so maybe sticking to dwarf corys and endlers would be ok. I need to try find somewhere I can get both of them. Even my local MA didn't sell the Endlers, not sure about the cory's though as I wasn't looking for them. Definitely food for thought. A little research into the cory's required i think. ;)

EDIT:

Would help if I added the picture--
photo-29-2.jpg

Phone your local Maidenhead aquatics and ask if they have the Dwarf Corys and if not if they can order them in and ask if they can order in Endlers, Maidenhead Aquatics usually does a fish order every week so you shouldn't have to wait to long. :good:

Phone your local Maidenhead aquatics and ask if they have the Dwarf Corys and if not if they can order them in and ask if they can order in Endlers, Maidenhead Aquatics usually does a fish order every week so you shouldn't have to wait to long. :good:

I was thinking I might go in and have a look tomorrow and see if they have either and if not I can ask when I am in. If I don't get in tomorrow I might call them but hoping to go through Thursday if not tomorrow to have a nosey.

Most reactions

Back