Help...stocking Advice Wanted...

I can turn the flow of my filter down if this is an issue. As AA said I do have a 6g tank that I would set up out of precaution.

Thanks for both your replies, its definitely given me some things to think about. Some research is needed I think. *hypothetically* if were to get a betta, how many endlers could I keep along side it? Obviously I'd need to add them before the betta, along with the snail I am thinking of getting. I'm not going to be able to get the dwarf corys for a while anyway so I've got some time to ponder over it and come to a decision. My husband and I were discussing upgrading the tank perhaps at the end of the year, probably to a 30g+.

I would advise against turning down your filter. Remember that low flow conditions favor the dreaded BGA. What I can advise are female betas, they don't have the same trouble with flow as males and they can be just as gorgeous if not more and they are more tolerant of eachother than males; which means you could add a few to the tank (I would say 4-5 is a safe number depending on breed).

And to complicate things, if you like that eastern looking fish take a look at the Licorice Gourami :p

Or you could get a male plakat betta - they are the shortfinned ones. The advantage with them is that they are usually more colourful than females. The females in shops round here are all quite dark though you can get pretty ones on-line.
I recently bought a plakat, he has no trouble with the filter in the tank. He has not even looked twice at the pygmy cories and female endler-guppies in the same tank, though he has chased the 2 fry that survived being eaten by their mothers. They must be triggering his "food!" reflexes.
I am aware that things could suddenly turn nasty as he's new and still young, so I do have a back-up plan ready.

Hmmm, its the male halfmoon i like.:unsure:. Not sure what to do. Like I said I DO have another tank that would be suitable as a back up if needed. Will need to ponder over it I think.

I'm really not sure why folks have been recommending you get something other than a regular male betta lol - I'm kind of confused. Anyway, there is absolutely zero reason why you shouldn't get a halfmoon if that's what you like :p

Well its the half moon I like so I think if im going to get a betta I'll get one of those, once I've got all my endlers and a snail and just get him on the basis that he might end up in the other tank.

Well its the half moon I like so I think if im going to get a betta I'll get one of those, once I've got all my endlers and a snail and just get him on the basis that he might end up in the other tank.

Not sure what snail you got, but if you got an apple snail expect its impact on your bioload to very large and don't be surprised if it starts to mow all your plants down. Most species of Pomacea range in size from 4cm to 15cm.

Not sure what snail you got, but if you got an apple snail expect its impact on your bioload to very large and don't be surprised if it starts to mow all your plants down. Most species of Pomacea range in size from 4cm to 15cm.

Haven't got a snail yet, was just thinking I might get one. Haven't even looked into them in anyway BUT i was going to look into them to see what if any would be suitable. :good:

Haven't got a snail yet, was just thinking I might get one. Haven't even looked into them in anyway BUT i was going to look into them to see what if any would be suitable. :good:

Nerites and or Malaysian trumpets are a good call.

Most reactions

Back