Help - Problem With Tank

zappylady

Reaction score
I need advice - urgently please.

My plecos are in big distress in my 240 litre tank - all other fish, including clown loaches, parrot fish, tiger barbs, pictus catfish are fine. My 4" yo-yo loach died about an hour ago.

I have checked water parameters - 0 ppm Nitrite - 0 ppm Ammonia - Nitrate - 40ppm - then I check PH and it was always 7.4 but this time it is not registering on the low PH tester by not registering I mean that the colour is a very light brown which is not shown on the tester sheet)

Could this mean that the PH has crashed .

I really don't know what to do - the only changes I have made lately is removing one large plant from the tank - could this have made a difference.

I have just done a 30% water change to see if this improved things

I have a 5" golden nugget, L27 panaque, L201 Inspector and I think I am going to lose the lot. I have had them for nearly two years.

Any ideas?? :(

How old are the test kits, i would do another test on ammonia and ph, what is the kh reading, is it the plec only looking off it or other fish as well, how is he acting.
Also increase aeration for now.

How old are the test kits, i would do another test on ammonia and ph, what is the kh reading, is it the plec only looking off it or other fish as well, how is he acting.
Also increase aeration for now.

Hello, Wilder

It's quite a new set - I've done two ammonia and Nitrite - I've done two on the lower PH tester and one on the High PH tester. On the high it didn't look the exact colour but similar to the 7.6 level which is the lowest.

It's only the plecs, they are out of their hiding places and no energy - don't run away when I go up to the tank - I have plenty of oxygen (external eheim with spraybar) and internal fluval plus additional aerator.

I've just lost a Flash pleco - he has just died - Oh my Oh my I don't want to lose my beautiful plecos

The corys, clown loaches, tiger barbs, parrot fish are not affected at all.

I have a digital temperture guage with an a probe and a 'stick on' thermometer, I thought it could have been that the water was too warm - but I have double checked the temperature and it appears to be OK.

I will do a KH reading and let you know. :( :( :(

Right so only fish affected are the plecos, right what are they doing are they bloated laying to one side, or gone thin, has there colour altered, are they dashing about, added any new fish to the tank lately, I think if it was ph problem most of the fish would be affected by it.
Finally have you added any meds to the tank.

Right so only fish affected are the plecos, right what are they doing are they bloated laying to one side, or gone thin, has there colour altered, are they dashing about, added any new fish to the tank lately, I think if it was ph problem most of the fish would be affected by it.
Finally have you added any meds to the tank.

I havn't added any meds, they look almost shrunken, no colour change, all upright, hardly moving, the flash pleco was a lot smaller (2.5 ") I havn't added any fish for months. I have just had a thought - I have always fed them Hikari wafers nightly with cucumber ocassionally, I havn't been able to get Hikari wafers and, therefore, changed to the Tetra Algae Wafers about a month ago, although the other fish are fed flakes/cichlid pellets, frozen blood worm, and I am sure they would have had something to eat even if they didn't like the Tetra algae wafers.

I have tested Oxygen and it is reading 5mg/l. I havn't got a KH test kit only a GH.

Do you mean there tummys look sunken in as that a sign of internal parasites, so check the anus to see if it's red and inflamed, anything prutruding from the anus, does the anus look enlarged, and finally what does it look like when they go to the toilet, also sunken bellys can mean fish tb as well.

Do you mean there tummys look sunken in as that a sign of internal parasites, so check the anus to see if it's red and inflamed, anything prutruding from the anus, does the anus look enlarged, and finally what does it look like when they go to the toilet, also sunken bellys can mean fish tb as well.

I think I am going to lose them - I have just fed with some flake and the other fish are there normal hungry selves - all very active.

This is a picture of my panaque it looks as though his rear has shrunk (skin wrinkly) - he didn't move when I took this with the light on and I feel, from the look of all of the plecs is that they have not been eating - possibly due to an internal problem.

What do you think I should do - the common plec (8") is moving around the tank eating flake so he isn't too bad.

Panaque.jpg

How many plecs have lost weight, is there belly sunken in, so none of them are feeding, can you put all the plecs in an issolation tank.

How many plecs have lost weight, is there belly sunken in, so none of them are feeding, can you put all the plecs in an issolation tank.

An up-date.

In my 190 litre tank, I have just checked my plecos in their caves and I have a sick 6" L014 - it looks as though this is a food issue.

Could be frozen blood worm or algae wafers - My two zebra plecos, in a separate tank appear to be fine - they are fed blood worm and Tetra Prima. No cucumber (they don't like it) and no algae wafers - they don't eat them.

That means that the problem is the algae wafers or cucumber - could it be that they were used to Hikari wafers and have starved to death or the cucumber fed to both tanks the day before yesterday was contaminated in some way.

What do you think I should do??

I think if they have stopped eating they could have a bacterial infection, bloodworms can be funny, plus how often do you do a gravel vac with bottom feeders it wise to do two a week, as if they eat contaminated food they become ill which also can lead to fish tb.
With the way they are it would be wise to put them in isolation.

Can you issolate them, is every single plec in the same way, have they all lost weight as well, trying to find out if it's a parasite or bacterial.

This info has been taken off the emergency board on this site.
Tuberculosis
A fairly infectious bacterial disease, tubercolosis is becoming incresingly common. Affected specimens must be removed from the aquariym immediately so that other fishes aren't infected. A tubercular fish usually feeds normally, but loses weight as it's internal organs become damaged. Some fish develop nodules under the skin which eventually ulcerate, in other nodules develop behind the eye, causing "pop-eye".

The bacteria that causes the disease prefers cooler temperatures than most bacteria that infect humans. However, fish tuberculosis can affect people, usually in the for of an infected nodule on the skin, but there is a small chance that it will cause a serious internal infection. nce diagnosed in one of your fish, strict hygienic precautions should be observed. A definate diagnosis is only possible by a post mortem.

Things To Look Out For
Appears dull in colour
Weight loss
Folded fins
Ulcerous skin wounds

Treatment
Seek vetinary advice. Affected fish should be removed and euthanized. Don't allow them to die in the tank as other inhabitants will eat them and become infected too. The tubercular fish's contacts should be treated: move them to a separate hospital tank, and disinfect the original aquarium. If other fish succumb, don't introduce any new specimens, euthanize all affected fish then clean, disinfect and re-stock the aquarium.

This has been taken from the board.
Internal Bacteria

Symptoms

a. In some cases fish will darken in colour, become listless, stop feeding and die.

b. In other cases, severe symptons exist, ulcers, abdominal (dropsy) and eye swelling (pop eye), destruction of the central nervous system and then the fish dies.

Influencing Factors - Poor water quality will stress the fish and make them susceptible to infection. Also fin and body tissue damage will give the bacteria a site to start infecting.

My Experience -I recently lost one of my Mollies she was black so i did not notice her darken in colour, but she hid all the time and stopped eating, then died. At the point she died four other mollies and two platies started to hide and not eat. Also around this time started to notice that some of the fish had long stringy white feces (poo), it was 5 inches long in some cases.

I did a 30% water change and added Interpet No 9 for internal bacteria, plus two spoons of salt. Next day I added two more spoons of salt. On day four I put in the second dose required of Interpet No 9. Then nothing else and no water changes for the next 8 days. On the day four (after second dose) one of the mollies passed a lot of white gooey stuff and after that he started to come out at feeding time and occasionally take one or two nibbles.

All fish were fine at the end of the 8 days, out from hiding and eating again. Some did however still have a bit of stringy poo. I was therefore advised to do a 25% water change and clean up and redose the medication without salt. This is mainly as a precaution because the disease can come back if it is not "completely" cleared up.

Reason it happened - I did not know at the time buy my pump housing was blocked my pump hardly running at all. My water parameters did not show there was a problem but the pump must have been getting slower and slower over a period of time and therefore the oxygen was getting lower and lower. I believe this is what caused the bad water conditions that kicked in the infection for my fish.

What I have learnt - Fish commonly get ill because of poor water quality. I knew I had not introduced anything new, I did regular water changes and my tests were all good. How could it be poor water quality. It was because of the pump problem. I say don't give up looking there is always a reason, don't just treat the disease, find out why and learn from it.

I think if they have stopped eating they could have a bacterial infection, bloodworms can be funny, plus how often do you do a gravel vac with bottom feeders it wise to do two a week, as if they eat contaminated food they become ill which also can lead to fish tb.
With the way they are it would be wise to put them in isolation.

Can you issolate them, is every single plec in the same way, have they all lost weight as well, trying to find out if it's a parasite or bacterial.

This info has been taken off the emergency board on this site.
Tuberculosis
A fairly infectious bacterial disease, tubercolosis is becoming incresingly common. Affected specimens must be removed from the aquariym immediately so that other fishes aren't infected. A tubercular fish usually feeds normally, but loses weight as it's internal organs become damaged. Some fish develop nodules under the skin which eventually ulcerate, in other nodules develop behind the eye, causing "pop-eye".

The bacteria that causes the disease prefers cooler temperatures than most bacteria that infect humans. However, fish tuberculosis can affect people, usually in the for of an infected nodule on the skin, but there is a small chance that it will cause a serious internal infection. nce diagnosed in one of your fish, strict hygienic precautions should be observed. A definate diagnosis is only possible by a post mortem.

Things To Look Out For
Appears dull in colour
Weight loss
Folded fins
Ulcerous skin wounds

Treatment
Seek vetinary advice. Affected fish should be removed and euthanized. Don't allow them to die in the tank as other inhabitants will eat them and become infected too. The tubercular fish's contacts should be treated: move them to a separate hospital tank, and disinfect the original aquarium. If other fish succumb, don't introduce any new specimens, euthanize all affected fish then clean, disinfect and re-stock the aquarium.

This has been taken from the board.
Internal Bacteria

Symptoms

a. In some cases fish will darken in colour, become listless, stop feeding and die.

b. In other cases, severe symptons exist, ulcers, abdominal (dropsy) and eye swelling (pop eye), destruction of the central nervous system and then the fish dies.

Influencing Factors - Poor water quality will stress the fish and make them susceptible to infection. Also fin and body tissue damage will give the bacteria a site to start infecting.

My Experience -I recently lost one of my Mollies she was black so i did not notice her darken in colour, but she hid all the time and stopped eating, then died. At the point she died four other mollies and two platies started to hide and not eat. Also around this time started to notice that some of the fish had long stringy white feces (poo), it was 5 inches long in some cases.

I did a 30% water change and added Interpet No 9 for internal bacteria, plus two spoons of salt. Next day I added two more spoons of salt. On day four I put in the second dose required of Interpet No 9. Then nothing else and no water changes for the next 8 days. On the day four (after second dose) one of the mollies passed a lot of white gooey stuff and after that he started to come out at feeding time and occasionally take one or two nibbles.

All fish were fine at the end of the 8 days, out from hiding and eating again. Some did however still have a bit of stringy poo. I was therefore advised to do a 25% water change and clean up and redose the medication without salt. This is mainly as a precaution because the disease can come back if it is not "completely" cleared up.

Reason it happened - I did not know at the time buy my pump housing was blocked my pump hardly running at all. My water parameters did not show there was a problem but the pump must have been getting slower and slower over a period of time and therefore the oxygen was getting lower and lower. I believe this is what caused the bad water conditions that kicked in the infection for my fish.

What I have learnt - Fish commonly get ill because of poor water quality. I knew I had not introduced anything new, I did regular water changes and my tests were all good. How could it be poor water quality. It was because of the pump problem. I say don't give up looking there is always a reason, don't just treat the disease, find out why and learn from it.

Put these two articles up for you to see if you can see any similar symtom to yours.

I can't isolate them as both tanks appear to be affected. I do weekly water changes - with gravel clean - I have two filters on each tank which are cleaned alternately and logged. I have just done the tests on the other tank (which I do weekly) and ammonia is 0ppm and Nitrite 0ppm. The vials are sitting on top of the tanks and there is no change - both zero.

Why is it only the plecos that are affected - the panaque has got a slightly sunken belly - it is difficult to know what medications I should use on plecos. I have a few in stock for emergencies but, as I don't know what the problem is it is difficult to decide which, if any, to use.

Thanks for your help Wilder - I shall have to see what tomorrow brings as I don't feel that there is anything I can do now - I know this, if I lose my beautiful plecos, I will give up fishkeeping - you can do everything possible to keep the water quality perfect and it's hard work but worth it and then everything can still go wrong. It's quite depressing :(

The fish have internal parasites or fish tb, sorry, and both hard to cure, plus they will infect the tanks, not nice, as that what a sunken belly indicates.
I would try and keep an eye on the anus as well, if you suspect a pleco is not going to make it looks really unwell, get him out of the tank, don't want the other fish pecking on him, sorry.

The fish have internal parasites or fish tb, sorry, and both hard to cure, plus they will infect the tanks, not nice, as that what a sunken belly indicates.
I would try and keep an eye on the anus as well, if you suspect a pleco is not going to make it looks really unwell, get him out of the tank, don't want the other fish pecking on him, sorry.

Thank you for your help Wilder, I suspect what you say could be right although I am going to attempt to get some Hikari wafers tomorrow - I know there is a shortage and everybody is saying there is none in the Country - I'll phone some fish stores in the morning.

I have checked the anus on the panaque and all appears to be fine. I think my lovely Golden nugget and panaque will not be alive tomorrow although I can hope. The smaller Golden Nugget in the other tank appears Ok at the moment.

By the way, the yo-yo loach died and it was about 5" and looked perfect, certainly not malnourished or sick until the end.

OH, I'm confused.

Most reactions

Back