Help Needed!

emilythestrange

Fishaholic
Reaction score
my Old fish is starting to lye on the bottom of the tank, and caught him once upside down on the bottom still, put disease treatment in, now other fish appear to be the same,
came in and saw them all together minus 1 all lying together on the bottom in a cluster.
Carried out a water change
Is there anything else i can do?!

my Old fish is starting to lye on the bottom of the tank, and caught him once upside down on the bottom still, put disease treatment in, now other fish appear to be the same,
came in and saw them all together minus 1 all lying together on the bottom in a cluster.

What are your water levels? Do you have a test kit?
If not, you really need to buy an RHI master test kit for $30.

I will buy a test kit tommorow, assuming the ammonia isnt normal what else should i do tonight?

Should i purcahse another brand of treatment for them?

Until you can get your test kit I would do at least a 50% water change daily and cut back on the feeding incase it is bad water quality.

Until you can get your test kit I would do at least a 50% water change daily and cut back on the feeding incase it is bad water quality.
Thats the thing right, for my five goldfish (fancy) I have fed them the recommended amount
twice a day, but now only once

They always ate all of the food
Was it too much?!

It could be gastrointestinal problems from the food. What brand/type are you using?

What size is your tank? What all is in it?
i am using a mixture of Daphnia, Tetra flake food and blood worms

Oh dear heres the part i get most critisized on although i took notic of a fish guid i had 8 pints = 1 fish
I have 5 small fancy fish ina 27 litre tank with air pump and quality filter

It could be gastrointestinal problems from the food. What brand/type are you using?

Oh dear heres the part i get most critisized on although i took notic of a fish guid i had 8 pints = 1 fish

1 gallon = 1 "inch" of tropical fish, goldfish need more.

Thats a 7 gallon tank. How big are your fish and what do you mean by "fancy"? Are they goldfish?

Hi there emilythestrange,

I agree with Gilli that the more urgent thing is for you to begin performing rather large and frequent water changes.

The way you do this is to be sure you have a bottle of dechlor (this is a chemical that removes the chlorine or chloramines that the water company puts in to kill bacteria in tap water).. if you need to get this from a local fish store, be sure it just mainly does the dechlorination/dechloramination. API StressCoat and Seachem Prime are examples of products that could be used.

You siphon about half your tank water out. The return water should be treated with the correct amount of the dechlor product (per its instructions) and also you should roughly temperature match the return water using your hand to judge that it is close to the tank water temperature.

If you don't see your fish perk up and act a little happier, you can repeat this procedure as soon as an hour later, and so on.

Now, if you do have to go to the fish store then it will also be important to try and get a test kit as mentioned above. Take a look for the API Freshwater Master Test Kit or the Nutrafin Mini-Master -- the important thing is that these are liquid-reagent based test kits. Tests based on paper strips are not accurate enough for your problem.

Once you get a kit you can read the instructions and test your tap water and your tank water for ammonia, nitrite(NO2), pH and nitrate (NO3) and write up the results here in this thread for us to see. You should also record them in a notebook or on paper for yourself. You do not need to be buying other chemicals for your fish or tank at this time I don't believe.

~~waterdrop~~

1 gallon = 1 "inch" of tropical fish, goldfish need more.

Thats a 7 gallon tank. How big are your fish and what do you mean by "fancy"? Are they goldfish?
Yes they are, and 1 is a telescopic

Hi there emilythestrange,

I agree with Gilli that the more urgent thing is for you to begin performing rather large and frequent water changes.

The way you do this is to be sure you have a bottle of dechlor (this is a chemical that removes the chlorine or chloramines that the water company puts in to kill bacteria in tap water).. if you need to get this from a local fish store, be sure it just mainly does the dechlorination/dechloramination. API StressCoat and Seachem Prime are examples of products that could be used.

You siphon about half your tank water out. The return water should be treated with the correct amount of the dechlor product (per its instructions) and also you should roughly temperature match the return water using your hand to judge that it is close to the tank water temperature.

If you don't see your fish perk up and act a little happier, you can repeat this procedure as soon as an hour later, and so on.

Now, if you do have to go to the fish store then it will also be important to try and get a test kit as mentioned above. Take a look for the API Freshwater Master Test Kit or the Nutrafin Mini-Master -- the important thing is that these are liquid-reagent based test kits. Tests based on paper strips are not accurate enough for your problem.

Once you get a kit you can read the instructions and test your tap water and your tank water for ammonia, nitrite(NO2), pH and nitrate (NO3) and write up the results here in this thread for us to see. You should also record them in a notebook or on paper for yourself. You do not need to be buying other chemicals for your fish or tank at this time I don't believe.

~~waterdrop~~
I took out at least 50% last night and also i always treat the water with Tetra brand water treatment, they seem better this morning, however still lying on the bottom,
How much should i feed/ how often for my 5 goldfish?

thanks!! :good:

How about giving them another drink of fresh water rather than food for right now. More fish are killed by overfeeding and bad water than by any other cause.

I agree, another round of water change and no food.

How are your thoughts coming about a liquid-based test kit?

~~waterdrop~~

I agree, another round of water change and no food.

How are your thoughts coming about a liquid-based test kit?

~~waterdrop~~
Yes i will not feed them tonight, getting worried now because the Original Goldfish has red streaked fins which is another sign of disease, whereas my telescopic has been sat on the bottom for hours, around 20 mins ago i spotted my old (seemingly Healty) speckled goldifsh lying on the bottom right next to him!
Also my dad wont take me to pets @ home 2night so im more worried now!

Most reactions

Back