Help Needed With 28 L Tank

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

wheelsoffury

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi all, 
I have a couple of pressing questions if that is okay.

1. I have noticed a ragged top fin on one of my glow lights and Pets At Home recommended aquarium salt. How do I use this? Are there any real benefits? The ragged fin could be from fin rot or nipping! I've noticed the mickey mouse going for the poor glow light

2. I've been advised to give up 1 male platy in order to prevent breeding. Would this support the reduction of ammonia levels and ph levels? Concerned as to why the PH is high.

Now some stats according to the Pets at Home readings

Tank size = 28 litres
Fish= 1 mickey mouse (baby) female 
          2 orange platies, male and female
          3 glow lights, female 

Ammonia= 0.25
Nitrite= 0.0 
Nitrate= 20
ph = 8.2
Temp= 24 degrees

I've been advised that I have the right amount of fish for this tank for appropriately another 5 months until they grow big!! Any advice would be great.

Well neither of this fish are suitable. If it isn't too late, you can return them and then complete a fishless cycle, then get fish more appropriate for this nano tank.

A ragged top fin is more likely due to nipping and ammonia in the tank. If you cannot return the fish to the store or rehome them, all you need to do is keep the water in pristine condition. This means you will have to constantly monitor your ammonia and nitrite readings so that you know when to do a water change. You need to do a water change now because of your .25 ammonia reading. You should do a water change around 50% every time you get ammonia readings. Once those numbers hit around .50, you should do a 100% water change. Have a look at the cycling section for more information about fish-in cycling.

If you are worried about pH, check your tap water. Platies actually don't mind the higher pH, but I don't think the glowlights do.

attibones said:
Well neither of this fish are suitable. If it isn't too late, you can return them and then complete a fishless cycle, then get fish more appropriate for this nano tank.

A ragged top fin is more likely due to nipping and ammonia in the tank. If you cannot return the fish to the store or rehome them, all you need to do is keep the water in pristine condition. This means you will have to constantly monitor your ammonia and nitrite readings so that you know when to do a water change. You need to do a water change now because of your .25 ammonia reading. You should do a water change around 50% every time you get ammonia readings. Once those numbers hit around .50, you should do a 100% water change. Have a look at the cycling section for more information about fish-in cycling.

If you are worried about pH, check your tap water. Platies actually don't mind the higher pH, but I don't think the glowlights do.
May I ask a silly question... why are neither appropriate? I trusted the shop I visited to advise as needed as I'm new to this.

Also, do you know anything about the aquarium salt? Any benefits? 
PS ph for tap water was 8 
Thanks x 

Platies are just too large. They can get around three inches and can be pretty active. They need at least 15 gallons (something like 57 liters). Glowlights tetras need around 70 liters because they need to be in schools. They can be pretty zippy too.

You really should not trust the advice from LFS employees. Most of them do not know anything about fish and do not care about the fish except to make a sale. It is best to do your own research either here or on other sites like seriouslyfish, planetcatfish, etc. pets At Home and other large chains are especially bad at giving poor advice, hence why you have six unsuitable fish in an uncycled nano tank.

Aquarium salt is not needed in this situation but it is sometimes helpful. It can help with ich, if your fish are okay with.
So long as your pH doesn't falter, most fish are okay with a stable pH. Some fish are more sensitive to faltering pH. The glowlights, I discovered after doing a quick look up, has a preferred pH way lower than what you've got.

attibones said:
Platies are just too large. They can get around three inches and can be pretty active. They need at least 15 gallons (something like 57 liters). Glowlights tetras need around 70 liters because they need to be in schools. They can be pretty zippy too.

You really should not trust the advice from LFS employees. Most of them do not know anything about fish and do not care about the fish except to make a sale. It is best to do your own research either here or on other sites like seriouslyfish, planetcatfish, etc. pets At Home and other large chains are especially bad at giving poor advice, hence why you have six unsuitable fish in an uncycled nano tank.

Aquarium salt is not needed in this situation but it is sometimes helpful. It can help with ich, if your fish are okay with.
So long as your pH doesn't falter, most fish are okay with a stable pH. Some fish are more sensitive to faltering pH. The glowlights, I discovered after doing a quick look up, has a preferred pH way lower than what you've got.

Okay, brilliant. 

Thank you for your advice!

Most reactions

Back