Help. Fish Less Cycle Issue

Rhiny

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Yesterday I drained my tank 95% as my fish less cycle was complete. I had 0ppm ammonia and the same nitrite. It was processing both within 12 hours. I made sure it was fully cycled by dosing every twelve hours for a few days. Nitrates wre around 5 ppm

Tested my water this morning as I was planning on adding fish today. Ammonia 0ppm but nitrites off the chart? Is this correct? I didn't dose ammonia yesterday after I done the water change.

Can I add fish today?

Just tested my tap water and the nitrites are 0ppm

Ammonia is 0 ppm on tap water.

Nitrates is 30 ppm from tap

The only other thing I done whilst doing a 95% water change was to drop the heter temp down from 30'c to 27'c.

I'd be incline to shake the bottles and do the test again.

However, it has been known when the nitrites are so ridiculously off the charts that it gives a "zero" reading because it just doesn't have a colour to express it, which is why after your water change it appears to have shot up as your brought it back down into readable range. I'd do another water change and keep at the cycle for a little bit longer as its probably not processing the nitrite enough yet. Also let it be known that you only need to dose ammonia every 24 hours, but test every twelve. Amongst other things this will help the bacteria to develop as you're not constantly adding nitrite all the time.

Ah ok. I was testing and dosing every 12 hours. I will add some ammonia now and see what happens in the next 12 hours and hold off the fish.

I have tested nitrites again and odour still deep purple. It was light blue before.

I'd do a water change to get my nitrites as close to zero as possible. Then you know where you stand.

It's possible that the bacteria are already processing massive amounts of nitrite and you won't have to wait long, but it just couldn't keep up before.

I found it a helpful exercise during my cycle to do water changes very day to keep the nitrite within readable range. It won't make any difference to your cycle but it helped keep my enthusiasm up as I could see exactly what was processing each day.

Ok. I will change my water when I get home in an hour or so. Once refilled should I check for nitrites again or re dose ammonia?

Will I have to leave tank running then check for nitrites or will it show straight away?

You ideally want to be dosing ammonia every 24 hours but testing every 12. The bacteria won't mind the rest (some argue it's actually beneficial) do test once your water change is done, just so you know what youve got, then proceed as normal from thereon in.

Excellent. Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it.

I'm glad I checked my readings this morning and didn't go and purchase any fish.

I changed 90% of my tank water earlier. Still had nitrites reading. Will leave it a few hours and re test. Won't add any ammonia for a while.

Must be a massive amount of nitrite in there then. I'd recommend doing yet another change. If you've not got fish in there you can afford to do a 100% change if need be. You don't have to do it right now though. Take a break first, water changing is hard work!

Just to check, you've been dosing ammonia to 4ppm, right?

Yeah I was re dosing ammonia to 4 ppm every time the reading was zero. This was every twelve hours.

I will change all the water tomorrow after work. Easy getting it out syphoning straight outside but hard refilling using buckets. Ordered tap connector like on your link to re fill

I did add some plants before I refilled it the first time. Would that create the nitrite spike?

Glad you found it useful :)

Be sure to turn off the filter if you're refilling straight into the tank. You don't want to risk any chlorine getting in there.

Plants shouldn't create a spike of any kind. If anything they should reduce stuff.

Glad you found it useful :)

Be sure to turn off the filter if you're refilling straight into the tank. You don't want to risk any chlorine getting in there.

Plants shouldn't create a spike of any kind. If anything they should reduce stuff.

Quick one...i've never noticed that link in your signature before Cezza...really enjoyed reading it and am putting serious thought into doing it myself, thanks for taking the time to show us :good:

Terry.

Yeah I was re dosing ammonia to 4 ppm every time the reading was zero. This was every twelve hours.

I will change all the water tomorrow after work. Easy getting it out syphoning straight outside but hard refilling using buckets. Ordered tap connector like on your link to re fill

I did add some plants before I refilled it the first time. Would that create the nitrite spike?

Just to let you know my experience so you can make a comparison...

I have a fully planted tank and it was this way when I started the cycle.
I added some seeded media from a tank in my classroom and then cycled for ten days.
Like you, I added ammonia at each check. Morning and evening.
Approx ten days later, Friday in fact, I got: Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0 and Nitrates off the chart.
I hung on a couple of days before a water change.
This morning I changed 80% of the water and added more ammonia.
Have just checked (less than 12 hours later) and I got: Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0 and Nitrate levels that reflect those of the tap water.

So plants don't seem to be detrimental.

Rhiny, be aware that the nitrite test can be misleading. It gives a color similar to a zero when levels are way above 5 ppm. It is one reason we often suggest that people do a huge water change to allow them to monitor their nitrite spike. It prevents them being misled during that part of the cycle. If they see the nitrites again rising to and above 5 ppm, they will realize that it must come back through those levels before reaching a true zero.
As far as plants are concerned, they do not help or hurt a cycle, instead they can cause confusion. Plants absorb a certain amount of nitrogen as fertilizer so it may affect ammonia and make you think that you have started to process ammonia before it really happens. They can also prevent you seeing a nitrate build as ammonia is being converted through to nitrates since plants view nitrates as fertilizer too. The less vartiable in your tank, the easier it is for us to help you based on readings. If you have plants let us know so that we can try to take that into account when we read your test results.

Most reactions

Back