Help! Cloudy Water With No Fish?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ifti

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I havent even started cycling my tank properly yet!

Set tank up from new yesterday.
Cleaned gravel and tank etc beforehand.
Add water.
Add heater and filter etc.
Added a few plastic plants - washed under tap water before adding to tank.

All Ive put into the water is some tapsafe and some Interpet Filter Start (this came with my tank and although it probably wont do much thought I'd put some in anyways!

My API testing kit hasnt arrived yet, so I put in just a few drops of Boots Ammonia to get things started a little, and thought I would top up once my testing kit arrived to the correct levels.

This was all done around midday yesterday.

This morning everything was fine. Tiny air bubbles were almost gone. Water was clear.

This afternoon, the water has suddenly gone cloudy for no reason. Nothing added whatsoever. Filter is still working fine, as is the heater. Temp is around 27c.

Have I messed up somewhere??

Just to add - I havent added any further chemicals whatsoever - I read up that adding any further chemicals wouldn't do anything anyway?

I tried to follow all instructions and everything Ive read from here carefully, and cant see what Ive done wrong.

The wife doesnt understand all this cycling stuff and I was explaining it all to her yesterday. Today she is laughing at me saying I thought I knew what I was doing etc, but have messed it up.

Should I remove everything and start over again? Or should I give it a few days to see if it clears??
Am I worrying over nothing??

Im just so glad I dont have fish in there just yet - I guess they wouldnt be so happy swimming in fog! lol

nope its a bacterial bloom it should sort itself out in a few days (mine actually lasted a week lol) its because of the bacteria in the filter start and the ammonia ... just keep doing your thing when you get your testing kit dosing your ammonia as and when needed :)

Excellent!! Woohoooooo!!

Thank you for confirming!! Im well chuffed now! Will be watching it closely to see if it starts clearing up!

Hopefully the kit should arrive tomorrow or Weds ;o)

What colour is it? Photo?

should of asked this also.... forgot! :eek:
blink.gif
it does sound like what happened to mine though

The wife doesnt understand all this cycling stuff and I was explaining it all to her yesterday. Today she is laughing at me saying I thought I knew what I was doing etc, but have messed it up.

I think the official response to that is "it's supposed to be like that". That's the way I'd handle it anyway! :lol:

Sorry Kitty Kat I didn't see your response!
It's just cloudy/foggy - whitish.
Will go get a pic shortly........

Here we go, so approx 24 hours after initial setup I came home to this!!

Bear in mind the tank looks empty right now as my ornament hasnt arrived yet!!

IMG_0117copy.jpg

IMG_0118copy.jpg

Give me the news doctor......is it bad????!

Just been reading up on this - http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/246850-bacterial-blooms-explained/

Going by this, it should hopefully settle and go in a few days?!

For what its worth I think it looks very nice (I know nothing) I am day 5 of cycling mine and it has a brown tinge to the water. Im not too worried but it would be good to know if thats normal.

Here we go, so approx 24 hours after initial setup I came home to this!!

Bear in mind the tank looks empty right now as my ornament hasnt arrived yet!!

IMG_0117copy.jpg

IMG_0118copy.jpg

Give me the news doctor......is it bad????!

that did look like how my tank went and it cleared :) ... mine was well worse than that tbh you couldnt see anything haha... btw that tank looks really nice
good.gif

Cheers, will leave it as it is for a few days and see what happens - just need to try to not look at it too much as it gets me down otherwise! lol

I agree with the previous posts, that is just a bacterial bloom & is to be expected. It will go away in a day or so.

Most reactions

Back