Help choosing a filter

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Stacy87

Reaction score
Hello,

I am new to keeping fish and currently in the process of cycling the Tetra starter line 105L tank. I have read a lot of bad reviews regarding the filter & heater that is provided with it So thinking about replacing them. I have noticed that my heater won’t get the water temp above 22.

Please can anyone recommend a good filter for my tank size. I have looked online but must admit it is a bit of a minefield

Many Thanks in advance guys x

For internal filters, I like Eheim - their Pick Up and Aquaball ranges have models for your size tank. They contain just sponges, though there is a place to put a bit of carbon if you really want to use it in the Aquaballs (it isn't needed despite what filter manufacturers would have you belive). They both also have adjustable water flow in case you want to keep fish that needs a slow water flow. Pick Up 160 and Aquaball 130 would be the ones to look at.
Other people swear by the Fluval U range.

And I know you didn't ask about heaters, but I use Eheim-Jager heaters.

I have this tank and the filters not to bad tbh, i just changed the media with standard sponge. Its a bit bulky but you can take the compartment off what hides the heater away. Reduces the size by about half then.

I did upgrade the heater tho

For internal filters, I like Eheim - their Pick Up and Aquaball ranges have models for your size tank. They contain just sponges, though there is a place to put a bit of carbon if you really want to use it in the Aquaballs (it isn't needed despite what filter manufacturers would have you belive). They both also have adjustable water flow in case you want to keep fish that needs a slow water flow. Pick Up 160 and Aquaball 130 would be the ones to look at.
Other people swear by the Fluval U range.

And I know you didn't ask about heaters, but I use Eheim-Jager heaters.

That is great, thank you so much. I will go and check those ones out. Always good to have advice from the pros

I have this tank and the filters not to bad tbh, i just changed the media with standard sponge. Its a bit bulky but you can take the compartment off what hides the heater away. Reduces the size by about half then.

Ok, that is interesting to hear you’ve had no issues with it. Can I ask what heater you have now then please?

Ok, that is interesting to hear you’ve had no issues with it. Can I ask what heater you have now then please?
Had it up and running for a year now and ive had no problems at all.
20200304_193956.jpg

I upgraded to the heater above. You can adjust the temp to suit and a light shows to let you know when its on.

Eheim-Jagers what Essjay as mentioned are also very good

Had it up and running for a year now and ive had no problems at all.
View attachment 98801
I upgraded to the heater above. You can adjust the temp to suit and a light shows to let you know when its on.

Eheim-Jagers what Essjay as mentioned are also very good

Thank you for that. I may give the filter a bit more of a chance then and just get a new heater and see how it goes.

Hi Russjw, me again. Quick question, what sponges did you use in the filter. Could you use the ones for the Eheim pick up 160?

Hi Russjw, me again. Quick question, what sponges did you use in the filter. Could you use the ones for the Eheim pick up 160?
I use Filter Bio-Sponge which i purchased of ebay. It come in a pad form which i cut to size and doubled over.
20200304_214227.jpg

Much better than the filter pads what come with the filter and it will last you for years :) only costs around 3 or 4 pound.

The Eheim pick up 160 sponges are square so you wont be able to clip them in to place in the filter

I use Filter Bio-Sponge which i purchased of ebay. It come in a pad form which i cut to size and doubled over.View attachment 98803
Much better than the filter pads what come with the filter and it will last you for years :) only costs around 3 or 4 pound.

The Eheim pick up 160 sponges are square so you wont be able to clip them in to place in the filter
Hey, sorry for the late reply.

Thank you for answering my questions. I will look to change to sponge and see how I go.

Hey, sorry for the late reply.

Thank you for answering my questions. I will look to change to sponge and see how I go.
Your welcome :) good luck with your set up

Most reactions

Back