Help! 2 Flying Foxes And 1 Catfish Dead!

Bradders33

Reaction score
Hi

Have just come home to find 3 fish dead in my tank - they were all fine this morning! Have tested water and readings are:
Temp 25c
Ammonia 0mg/l
Nitrite <0.3mg/l

I am worried that I could be over feeding. Would that have had an impact? I added new plants on Sunday too.. Could that have caused this?
All other fish seem fine and I am going to do a water change now too..

Any help would be appreciated!

I would have expected to see more ammonia or nitrite if it was overfeeding that caused the deaths, but it could be a factor. Check that your heater/filters are all working properly.

Test after your wc, as any trace of nitrite is cause for concern.

How big is the tank, how long running and what other fish do you have?

Tank has been running for about 2 and a half months.. Did a fishless cycle too..

We have 5 mollies, 1 danio, 3 rainbow, 3 bettas, 2 catfish and 1 sucker ...

Will test the water now and repost findings...

What size is the tank?

It's a 70 litre tank and female bettas

The water readings are the same as earlier after a water change (about 25%).

To be honest, I think the tank looks a little cloudy (not much). Just doesn't seem as clear as maybe it could be?!?

Also, I suppose the nitrite colouring in the water test isn't as yellow as is should be.. (yellow being <0.3mg/l) ...

Thats ok then :) you may want to add another 3 to stop any aggression if there is any that is.

anyway back on topic, could anything of been sprayed near the tank and got in the water?

Any difference in them at all? even the slightest little thing can help :)

A few weeks ago I did post on here asking if anyone could help with regard to one of the foxes that appeared to have a red lump underneath.. That seemed to clear up and all behaviour was fine.

All the other fish seem to be swimming normally and eating as the always have. One of the catfish appears fairly still, but then he has always been that way.. Should I be concerned?

I added the 2 catfish (one of which is now dead) on Saturday along with the sucker. I then added two plants on Sunday. Too much?

what sucker fish do you have? is it a Chinese Algae Eater or a type of pleco?

it shouldn't of been to much for a cycled tank.

Only just seen the bit about it being cloudy, this could be a bacteria bloom, which will be your filter trying to make up for extra Ammonia but since that is 0 i am very confused :sly:

You useing a liquid test? or strips?

They are liquid tests..

I thought it may be something to do with bacteria. Hmm..

The sucker is a Borneo sucker or Chinese plec... He has been munching on the tank sides. Apparently he is a tricky one to keep, but looks fine (fingers crossed).

If it was a bacteria boom, what would have caused it and how can I get the tank clear again?

Most reactions

Back