Hello! New Here. I Have A Question

norite

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi everybody!

I'm getting back into marine fishkeeping after a 14 year absence - still doing lots of research and reading all about this live rock stuff...sounds amazing, :hyper: the Berlin system wasn't really widespread back then...

Anyhoo... My question is about my protein skimmer. It's a secondhand Red Sea Prism skimmer off fleabay, and the section holding the plastic mounting screw has broken off, and I need to glue it back together. Other than that, it seems to work fine, I tested it on some freshwater just to see if the motor was working OK. Are there any marine aquarium safe glues out there? I was going to use araldite (for non UK readers, that's two part epoxy resin), but I don't know if this is safe to use when it's set. it looks like it'll be submerged or partially submerged in the water when it's all setup. :blink:

My tank is 120 liters in capacity, and my hardware list (so far) is as follows:
Heater: 150 watts
Powerhead: Eden 226, 800 L/ph
External filter: Tetratec 700 canister filter, 700L/ph
Skimmer: Red Sea (as above)

I already have a fluval 3 internal filter (700l/ph) that was used when the tank was a freshie, but I'm thinking of retiring this in favour of another powerhead

Cheers

Hi there!

I know a lot of folks on here use superglue gel to attach coral frags to rock so I guess that might work?

A couple of more general points - if you're looking at adopting the Berlin approach to filtration you can ditch both the filters (internal and external), or maybe keep the external for rowaphos and/or carbon, or maybe just just to hold some live rock - essentially using it for water flow as much as anything. If you are looking at a reef setup then you want to aim for around 20x water turnover per hour, so maybe another powerhead if you keep the external filter?

Using filters in their more tradition role is less popular with reef setups as they do tend to encourage nitrate build up.

Are you going for a reef setup or just fish plus live rock or fish with tank decor of some sort or other? If it's the reef route, ie, fish plus coral/inverts then you need to be sure your tank has not been subject to the use of any copper based medications, as these are a no-no for corals/inverts.

A final thought - maybe stick your external filter on theifbay and use the proceeds to buy a better skimmer - Red Sea Prizm are not particularly effective from what I've read on here.

Do read the 'stickies' atop the Marine Chit-Chat forum - some good pointers there!

Good luck with it all!

Thanks, I guess you mean the cyano superglue, that comes in small bottles?

I want to keep the canister filter, as I believe this gives me more flexibility by being able to add charcoal and/or phosphate remover, plus it'll help with water movement. I'll very likely get another powerhead, and ditch the internal...

I'm planning on keeping some inverts - I kept featherduster worms, hermoit crabs & shrimps last time, along with some damsels and clownfish, but i'm tempted to try keeping some corals further down the line

Thanks, I guess you mean the cyano superglue, that comes in small bottles?

I want to keep the canister filter, as I believe this gives me more flexibility by being able to add charcoal and/or phosphate remover, plus it'll help with water movement. I'll very likely get another powerhead, and ditch the internal...

I'm planning on keeping some inverts - I kept featherduster worms, hermoit crabs & shrimps last time, along with some damsels and clownfish, but i'm tempted to try keeping some corals further down the line

I'm assuming you're in the US as cyano glue means as much to me as superglue does to you - I think we're on the same page!

Agree on the canister filter - that was exactly my point. Do start with rowaphos in place - don't wait for the algae!

Sounds like you got it covered - much better options than damsels though, they have a reputation as aggressive little tykes and many have lived to regret introducing them to their tank. Some great wrasses about, a little shoal (3 or 5) chromis works well, blennies and gobies have a lot of character.

On the coral choices, you'd very likely be able to get away with some of the soft corals almost as soon as your fish go in - xenia, mushrooms, leathers and the like. Your lighting (and patience, to a degree) will determine how far you go down the hard coral route. :good:

In my experience Cyano type glues do not glue plastic very well, Water also gradually acts as a de-bonder.
Have a look on ebay for something called poly weld, It is a proper plastic welding glue. It does not work with all plastic but should be fine if your skimmer is a thermo plastic, Which is more than likely.

No, I'm actually in the UK - northeast. :good:

So I assume the two part epoxy (Araldite) is a no-no then? on the resin bottle it says toxic to aquatic organisms, I was wondering once it set if it becomes inert. It's good strong stuff though - I use it for my RC planes.

Yeah, I know about the damsels agressiveness, so I don't think I'll get any this time round! :crazy:

how about aquarium silicone? or if you go to a marine stockist you'll be able to find a 2 part epoxy that is aquarium safe, it's used for sticking corals to rocks etc.

coral's aren't half as hard work as people make out you know, advances in marine keeping science such as the berlin method have made it all much easier to do. just invest a bit of money in a good metal halide light and take your time and you'll be fine

MOST epoxies become inert upon curing, but if it says that its toxic to aquatic organisms, do you really want to take the risk? Superglue or silicone are decent options.

No, I don't want to risk it- I was just wondering if anyone else had used 2 part epoxy without problems. It's the best holding glue ever! :good: I can't use superglue as it dissolves on long term contact with water, which leaves good old silicone. I need some anyhow to stick the background photograph to the back of the tank, and seal it along the top so that no water gets between it and the glass.

No, I don't want to risk it- I was just wondering if anyone else had used 2 part epoxy without problems. It's the best holding glue ever! :good: I can't use superglue as it dissolves on long term contact with water, which leaves good old silicone. I need some anyhow to stick the background photograph to the back of the tank, and seal it along the top so that no water gets between it and the glass.

I've read some used a coating of vaseline, which sounds a good idea if you can be bothered to chase out all the little air bubles. I tried on an offcut (my background is plain black) but wasn't keen.

In the end I've just used sellotape which has worked fine for me on the marine tank and has also been good on a FW tank for a couple of years so far.

Most reactions

Back