Hello From Scotland :)

If the tank and filter were brand new and never used, then you will not have any bacteria living in it to help break down the waste that your fish produce.

Fish produce ammonia, ammonia is toxic to fish so you need your filter to act as the "cleaner" for these products.

Cycle is ammonia broken down into nitrite (still toxic), nitrIte broken down into NitrAte (less toxic and is managed with water changes)

The ideal way to "cycle" your tank to get it ready for fish would be to add pure ammonia to the tank, measure the water daily until the bacteria have established themselves in the filter sponges to be able to break down these toxic compounds reliably and make it safe for fish.

A week of just water and no fish will not have allowed any bacteria to colonise your sponges so the addition of fish is going to kick start this process. It's not ideal to do it this way as your fish will be swimming in their own waste and it will be poisoning them until your filter matures (which can take weeks).

There are many topics on how to cycle your tank, have a wee read and since you only have two fish, hopefully you can keep thewater clean enough with regular water changes

Thanks very much for the useful info. I had no idea I had to do this. I will change the water regularly then to make sure it's clean. I will get some ammonia aswell. I have removed the plant in question and the fish have been up to the top of the tank thinking they were getting fed! They are back in hiding now.
Since you are doing a fish in cycle, DO NOT use ammonia! The ammonia is for a fishless cycle. If you add ammonia to a tank with fish in it, you will kill them.
Oh! Good morning and welcome to the forum! :good:

If the tank and filter were brand new and never used, then you will not have any bacteria living in it to help break down the waste that your fish produce.

Fish produce ammonia, ammonia is toxic to fish so you need your filter to act as the "cleaner" for these products.

Cycle is ammonia broken down into nitrite (still toxic), nitrIte broken down into NitrAte (less toxic and is managed with water changes)

The ideal way to "cycle" your tank to get it ready for fish would be to add pure ammonia to the tank, measure the water daily until the bacteria have established themselves in the filter sponges to be able to break down these toxic compounds reliably and make it safe for fish.

A week of just water and no fish will not have allowed any bacteria to colonise your sponges so the addition of fish is going to kick start this process. It's not ideal to do it this way as your fish will be swimming in their own waste and it will be poisoning them until your filter matures (which can take weeks).

There are many topics on how to cycle your tank, have a wee read and since you only have two fish, hopefully you can keep thewater clean enough with regular water changes

Thanks very much for the useful info. I had no idea I had to do this. I will change the water regularly then to make sure it's clean. I will get some ammonia aswell. I have removed the plant in question and the fish have been up to the top of the tank thinking they were getting fed! They are back in hiding now.
Since you are doing a fish in cycle, DO NOT use ammonia! The ammonia is for a fishless cycle. If you add ammonia to a tank with fish in it, you will kill them.
Oh! Good morning and welcome to the forum! :good:

Thankyou :) I bought some of that water clarifier after my water looking a bit "white" after I changed it and I got the stress zyme filteration aid the guy at the store recommended. The waters looking a lot clearer now. The fish came out from behind the plant when I gave them a feed this morning but they went straight back behind it!

The white water is probably a bacterial bloom which can happen when doing a cycle in the tank, water changes will help but it usually clears after a few days.

The white water is probably a bacterial bloom which can happen when doing a cycle in the tank, water changes will help but it usually clears after a few days.

Ah right it's already crystal clear again. I'm well impressed :good:

It sounds like a confidence issue, but the uncycled media won't be helping. You should do 50% water changes for a few days.

Do you have a test kit?

Do you know anyone with a fish tank? If so ask them for a small chunk of their media from their filter. A 1/3 of their media would help you and your fish immensely!

Here is a couple of pictures of a male and female Platy. Notice the gonopodium on the male.

pPETS-6963306r200.jpg
pPETS-6963303r200.jpg

Thanks for the picture. The male one looks like the male in the pic-he is the bigger one and the female is the smaller one and she has a full fin like the pic. Is this a problem them being a male and female? They won't breed unless they are in a heated tank though will they?

They will breed in what ever water you give them. :lol: I would suggest once cycled that you add another female as the male will constantly harass her.

They will breed in what ever water you give them. :lol: I would suggest once cycled that you add another female as the male will constantly harass her.
Oh :blink: Will they be ok all living in a 30 litre tank? I don't want to over crowd it.
I have enclosed 2 pics.

This one is from yesterday when I noticed the water wasn't as clear as it should be.
DSC00250-1.jpg

This one is today after the clarifier was put it. What a difference :D
332104_277109635659749_100000821445826_715839_120655977_o.jpg

Wow, looks loads better. :good:

Sorry, i overlooked the tank size tbh, probably not big enough then. :/

Wow, looks loads better. :good:

Sorry, i overlooked the tank size tbh, probably not big enough then. :/

I like them to have a decent space to swim even though they do really like that plant and one of them sits on the gravel behind it :rolleyes: The man at pets at home said I could have a total of 8 minnows or 2 of the little comets. I wanted to stay away from goldfish. So he said I could have 4 of the platys or mix them and have 2 platys and 6 minnows :S

I would suggest Minnows too. Never kept them so you will have to do a little bit more googling and have a quick read on a few different sites to guage an opinion on how many you can have.

I would suggest Minnows too. Never kept them so you will have to do a little bit more googling and have a quick read on a few different sites to guage an opinion on how many you can have.

I actually thought they were tetras but found out tetras were tropical :( I went to pets at home today like I said earlier to get those things for the water and forgot to put that on the tanks with the platys and the barbs(?) it says they are temperate next to the sign so they do inform people. I just didn't notice it :rolleyes: The barbs are so pretty bright red and theres white ones too. I might just stick to the 2 of these see how they get on.

Thankyou very much to everybody who replied and to all the useful information you have shared. You have been very helpful. I will stick around if that's ok even though I have a modest coldwater tank. I will get so much info from here.

Hey, there is no shame in coldwater! We're here for the fish, not for the type. I'm sure you will find everything you need to know!

Thankyou very much to everybody who replied and to all the useful information you have shared. You have been very helpful. I will stick around if that's ok even though I have a modest coldwater tank. I will get so much info from here.
We'd love to have you stick around! The more, the merrier! Cold water, warm water, doesn't matter. I have both.

Most reactions

Back