Hello All Im New And Hope You Can Help?

It won't have done any harm, but it won't have helped much either. What you really need to do is cut a small ammount of sponge off the cold water tank's filter, and stick that into the substrate in the Biorb's substrate. Leave it there untill the Biorb is cycled (has have zero readings for Ammonia and NitrIte for at least a week without water changes) and then return it to the cold water tank :good:

There has been a combination of bad advise from the Biorb instructions and the LFS that's got you into this mess. If the shop won't co-operate on taking the fish back, just tell them that they gave you poor advise on what fish to start cycling a tank with, as numerous other fish keepers have told you that both Guppies and Neons are in need of a mature tank (at least 6 weeks old, preferable 6 months old) to do well, so sticking them into a new tank on their advise has lead to their death. If they aren't going to take them back and offer some form of help replacing the lost Guppy, you will not be calling back and will be advising your fish keeping friends to keep away also :good: If they remain un-co-operative, on the way out, ask why they didn't mention fish-less cycling also... Avoid an "all guns blazing" approach, but do put forward fairly loudly (no shouting mind) a strong argument as to why they were in the wrong. They should see sense soon enough :nod:

All the best
Rabbut
that sounds very good to me thankyou ill get straight to work! ill keep you posted. wont be using the store again. not sure if im allowed to tell you which store so id better not say? thanks again.

i had an idea last nite dont know if i did right but its working! ammonia o as of 9.00 this morning was 0 i took mty filter from the cold water tank the whole thing and put it running in my orb and let it run. i put the goldfish a spare one in. water crystal clear and no ammonia. fish so much livlier and behaving normally for the first time in days! my only wurry now is that am i starving the orbs filter system of ammonia for the bacteria to develop? the orb filter is still running also. got any ideas as to a plan of action for the next few days? cheers.

i had an idea last nite dont know if i did right but its working! ammonia o as of 9.00 this morning was 0 i took mty filter from the cold water tank the whole thing and put it running in my orb and let it run. i put the goldfish a spare one in. water crystal clear and no ammonia. fish so much livlier and behaving normally for the first time in days! my only wurry now is that am i starving the orbs filter system of ammonia for the bacteria to develop? the orb filter is still running also. got any ideas as to a plan of action for the next few days? cheers.
well thanks to some great advoce ive now hopefully cloned my new new filter with bacteria from the goldfish tank. fingers crossed it works :good: il post my reading tomorow. got a good feeling about this :nod:

was the spare filter you put in your goldfish tank cycled? If not you're going to have two tanks cycling.

The best thing to do would be to take that spare filter, put around 20% of media in it from your cycled cold-water filter, then let that run on your bi-orb

was the spare filter you put in your goldfish tank cycled? If not you're going to have two tanks cycling.

The best thing to do would be to take that spare filter, put around 20% of media in it from your cycled cold-water filter, then let that run on your bi-orb
yes gaz it was cycled been running for 10 years! ive put the media in like you and others have said so thanks for that. :good: gona do a full api test in the morning and see what i get.

Most reactions

Back