Heater?

markaj04

Reaction score
What heater should I get for a 20 gallon tank? 50w,100w or 150w? Thank you!

I'd say the 100 watt to be on the safe side. 150 is IMO too much. 50 might even be enough if you live in a temperate area.

i would go with 150. i have a 150 in my 10 gallon and they are fine. temperature is always the same, and the heater is only on for about 20 seconds out of every like 10 minutes. ive had my heater for about 3 years already and it still hasnt changed. the only heaters i use are hagen thermal compacts. i have a 150, 300, and a 25. imo, they really tough, ive dropped the heater once and i never turn it off when the water level drops below what its supposed to when i do water changes and all my heaters have no problem.

Does it really take that much? Long ago, I saw a 100W heater advertised for a 30 gallon tank and a 150W heater advertised for a 45 gallon tank. All this time I've been under the impression that it was only 50W per 15 gallons. Now, I guess I dunno.

It depends on where you live and what the year round temperature averages for where the fish are during summer and winter months. especially winter months. If you live in a semi-tropical place and keep the room heated in the winter, you don't need a heater that's very powerful. If however you live somewhere that's got some cold winters and the room isn't heated as well, you'll want a stronger heater. 100 watts is about right for most places with mild winters.

I have a 150W in my 19US gallon tank - that's what it came with - though I replaced it with a Visitherm.
You can get away with less I'm sure, but that depends on the room temperature difference etc.

Scroll down and look at this chart which might help you :)

Most reactions

Back