Heater Broken?

lovebuzz

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I was just doing a water change and was filling up and I noticed my heater let out a good amount of steam and was like uhhh.....(Im stupid)

So I quickly unplugged my heater in fear of electrical shock.

I continued filling up and BAM my heaters broken! :X :grr:

Is this normal? Im thinking probably from rapid change in temperature the glass broke...Will my fish be ok? It's a 20 gallon tank tha thad a 100 watt heater at 25 celsius? Will the temperature be stable til tomorrow evening?
I have a blue ram, 3 otto cats, 3 gold barbs and a betta.

Am I still under warranty of the heater? How do I avoid this next time?

Heres a picture. Is it done for good?

thats good and broken and best raise the temperature in the room to keep the temp up until tommorow is all I can advise problem is Rams are very sensitive...can you move the fish AT ALL?

Oh and the reason it broke was you didn't unplug it prior to a water change then once you unplugged you kept adding water straight away..I used to do that and only learned not to recently luckily I never broke a heater

Well my room is a bit hotter than the rest of the rooms in the house so I guess it comes in handy this time...so what exactly do I do next time I perform a water change? I sure hope my ram is ok...and I heard otos are pretty sensitive too...

Next time you do a water change, unplug the heater, then wait about 5 minutes before draining. Don't forget to plug it in afterwards.

Oh ok, thanks, will return the heater tomorrow. Let's hope my fish make it through.

It also may help to wrap a thick towel or something around the tank to help hold in heat. I did that when my power was out. It did help some for me.
:nod:

if you notice your water temp is really dropping try doing a water change but use your thermometer to check that the water going in the is right temp or towards the upper end of what your fish can stand and then definately definately wrap (if possible) the tank in some towels to keep the heat in.

Most reactions

Back