Hands In Tank?

XeroTolerance

If You Ain't Blasting, You Ain't Lasting!
Reaction score
Hello everybody. I have a basic question that I need help with. Before you put your hands in the tank do you wash your hands with soap, or do you rinse them in water ( hot or cold)? I was just wondering because if you use soap before it may go in your tank.

Thanks in advance :).

Personally I have always washed mine with soap and hot water to make sure I have cleaned them of any harmful oils that won't come off with just water..Then Make sure you rinse really really well because soap is not exactly great for them either..The best thing overall is to not put your hands in there at all if you can help it..But if you must this has always worked for me, and never seemed to bother the fish..:)

Thanks for your help. I'll be sure to do it that way from now on. Plus it sounds better :D.

Meh; I just stick my hands in my tank whenever I feel like it. I don't worry about anything; seriously; how much soap do you think is on your hands?

Stop fussing....

Hello everybody. I have a basic question that I need help with. Before you put your hands in the tank do you wash your hands with soap, or do you rinse them in water ( hot or cold)? I was just wondering because if you use soap before it may go in your tank.

Thanks in advance :).

Wash well with very warm water and soap, then rinse thoroughly. Do the same after you're done. As long as your rinse properly, there shouldn't be any soap on your skin.

Never bothered washing my hands before or after, I just dry them well, my hands are always in my tank.

What i usually do, is i will rinc my hands very well, scrubbing with a face cloth. I dont like to use soap on my hands before i put them in my tank because a lot of soaps contain lye and that can kill your fish. i know its not a lot, but id rather be safe than sorry.

I don't wash my hands before they go in the tank unless ive been playing around with my bike or car, im sure oil on hands wouldn't be good for the fish. If I have cleaned my hands with soap I take care to wash it all off.

As a side note...XeroTolerance your avatar is the most annoying I've ever seen, grats.

Meh; I just stick my hands in my tank whenever I feel like it. I don't worry about anything; seriously; how much soap do you think is on your hands? Stop fussing....

Well, I care about the well being of my fish :p.

I don't wash my hands before they go in the tank unless ive been playing around with my bike or car, im sure oil on hands wouldn't be good for the fish. If I have cleaned my hands with soap I take care to wash it all off. As a side note...XeroTolerance your avatar is the most annoying I've ever seen, grats.

Thanks for your reply. Did you push alt and f4. LOL :D :D.

I have never bothered to wash my hands and am always fiddling about. The amount of times i have cuts from working on the car and me and the fish are fine, no washing no gloves :good:

I try not to feed them or put my hands in my tank when I've just had a shower because I have body lotion on my hands but other than that I'm the same, my hands are always in my tank and I never really think about it.

I try not to feed them or put my hands in my tank when I've just had a shower because I have body lotion on my hands but other than that I'm the same, my hands are always in my tank and I never really think about it.

+1

I tend to use body lotions / moisturise my hands regularly. If I have anything like that on my hands/arms I wash it off before putting my hands in. But other than that it really isn't an issue. I often don't wash my hands afterwards either... just dry them thoroughly.

I do wash my hands before I put them in the tank, then rinse with hot water. I've had numerous problems lately with bacterial infections so I don't want to take any chances.
crazy.gif

Likely as not, I just stick my hand in without thinking about washing them beforehand. However, I rarely use creams or lotions and I no longer smoke so there is no nicotine on them.

My cat doesn't wash her paws before taking a drink from them either.

Drinking 1.jpg

Most reactions

Back