Hair Algae

freerunner416

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hiya,

I have a huge hair algae problem in my tank!! Well i think it is hair algae. It is black and hair like and is attached only to the leaves of plants. I will try to take some pictures of it.

I think that the only way to get rid of it is to do constant water changes? (which is good for my discus also) I have stopped adding plant food to the water (which i think may have caused it)

I have a 260 Juwel tank which has the t5 lighting. I cant remember what wattage the bulbs are but will check tonight.

Is there any other way to get rid of it as it is unsightly???

Thanks in advance.

Craig

hey

causes of hair algae are that low CO2 levels, low nutrient levels or a large ammonia spike..

its quite hard to deal with but there are a few ways to deal with it such as the use of seachem excel, or to buy some amano shrimp that eat it or make the co2 rate higher.

Ark

Thanks Ark

I dont have any C02 running on my tank. I have a lot of surface agitation so if i reduce that would that help?

All my other plants seem to be doing really well, i have checked my ammonia and it hasnt spiked (tested every few days).

Is there another way to increase the C02 into my tank?

C

If it's black and short then it is black beard or brush algae and is a real pain in the butt. It gets into a tank and is hard to get rid of. Some people have success using one of the Seachem products but using it at a double or triple dose. Shrimp will pick at it as well. Try to physically remove as much as possible and do lots of water changes to reduce the amount of spores in the water.

this may sound mental, but take your plants out and give them a power-shower.

The algae just washes off lol

Esfa,

Your kidding?? I will try it. I have tried to scrape it off the plants but dont want to damage them.

Colin, Thanks for the advice. I have discus so hate putting meds into the tank but will possible just remove the plants and then dose them up with a good solid amount.

Thanks guys.

Is there anything anybody else suggests?

nah, not kidding. :lol:

did it to mine... worked a treat...

also got any dead/dying leaves off lol.

my crypts didnt even melt. :good:

Thanks guys.

Saintly, what will flourish excel do?

I stripped everything out at the weekend and tore off most of the leaves which had the algae on it. There is still some in the tank and i know it will get worse. I already have too many fish to add in any shrimps plus my missus doesnt like them. As for the algae eaters im not wanting to add them as i have discus and wouldnt like them to latch onto my discus. I will keep working at it.

Thanks for the help.

C

not sure of the science behind it, but it certainly has algae reducing effects. great stuff really. can be harsh on some plants, but i've never had problems with it. hair alge and the likes... DEAD! :good:

The True Siamese Algae Eater doesn't suck, it wont harm your Discus ... though is possibly a little too active for such sedentary fish as Discus??

Hmmmm, i was told before they might try to take the slime off the discus coat. Never mind.

I went to a wedding this weekend and left the tank light off for two days.

This has seemed to kill off a lot of the algae in the tank. I am going to keep the light on as normal and possibly switch it off again to see if it makes any more difference.

C

Most reactions

Back