Gutted.

GShorty1981

Fish Herder
Reaction score
My lighting unit just went 'POP' on my Fluval Vicenza 260, so i rung up my local MA and they said its going to cost £220 to replace!(HALF of what i paid for the tank!!)

And i'm getting married next month....and its my 30th birthday next month....so no money for a long time!!!

Anyway, will this effect my fish in anyway? having no lights for possibly 6-12 months?

I'm so pee'ed off that im tempted to sell everything and give up :(

There colours will be washed out, but I've always been told lighting is for our viewing pleasure, Cichlids can see remarkably well in darkness.

I hope so, dunno if i want to keep them if i can't view them tho and can't afford to get the new lights, might just sell up.

How much do you think my tank would be worth? (i paid £469 for it in the pets@home sale reduced from £569) comes with black gravel, ocean rock, pebbles, £100 worth of bog wood, breeding colony of Yellow labs, adult Electric Blue haps.

Oh dear!! That's a very expensive lighting unit eh?

Ok, so do you have live plants in the aquarium? If so, then yes, they do need light to survive.

Algae could be another problem that occurs, depending on where the aquarium is sited.

As for the fish, it does depend on the type of fish you have - I know the convict should be fine because in their natural habitat they tend to live in areas that are shaded and fairly dark with tannin rich water.

Some fish do suffer stress if they don't get their daily "sunshine" (albeit fake).

Is there a way of perhaps making some kind of makeshift light unit for now to tide you over? Either stick-on push lights to go inside the hood or buy a cheap starter unit and strip light and attach under your hood somehow... I'm not really familiar with your aquarium so I'm just making guesses of ways around this.

Athena

ps just another thought - how old is the tank? Is it still under guarantee? Surely a lighting unit shouldn't break that easily? Bulbs need replacing, yes, but for the whole unit to break is a bit unusual.

Jesh, mate what went on it, the ballast? two things, either get a starter unit
140.jpg
use the lightbulbs from your one and sort out a way to rest it in the top of your tank, with my jewel it wedged in nicely and for extra i tied it with cable ties, you can get them cheap, second hand aswell,i always have a couple as back up,

Its gonna be hard to fit them cos the flaps are plastic and im not very diy friendly lol, i'm seriously upset about this, its been playing up for a long time now, flicking on and off by its self, it has a built in timer that broke by itself...then out of nowhere earlier....BANG! and now nothing works

I have had the tank nearly 3 years sadly, so not under warrenty :(

Are you sure it's not under warranty? I believe fluval has a 3 year warranty? Maybe won't cover lights though as they're wear and tear i guess.

Such a shame mate, i'm very sorry to hear this indeed!

really 3 years? i might have to make some phone calls, doubt i have a receipt anywhere tho, plus i paid cash.

Its going to cost 162 for the actual unit (which is the entire middle of the hood) and 30 quid for each t5 bulb, i might be able to use the ones i have tho.

Seems a shame to give up, though.

I've just had a quick look online and found one site selling the light unit for £162 (Arkpetsonline). Still a lot of dosh, I know.

I would be looking at ways of coming up with a makeshift lighting system somehow until you've saved enough to get the new one. If you're a bit unsure how to do it yourself, do you have any friends/neighbours into DIY.

Thing is, if you sell it like it is, you won't get very much for it as whoever buys it is going to have to pay out for the new unit.

Athena

I just rang Pets@Home and they said they are going to check their warehouse for one and if they can find it, i can have it for FREE :eek:...no proof of purchase or anything....i guess Pets@Home are not so bad after all!

He said if he can't find one i will have to go through Fluval directly tho.... so fingers crossed.

Gah.... just got a call back, they said they havn't got one....so Fluval it is.

just fit some after market lights , hagan glo lights sets are made in all sizes and are fairly cheap :)

Unfortunately, the high price light units is the result of forced low prices tanks are sold at. It may not seem low to the buyers as no one likes paying money. But when you know how much work goes into making the tanks and the equipment and products used.... plus wages for manufacturers and then the sellers... VAT....

And the only part of the tank really making money for the manufacturing company is the elctrics and the hood....

£100+ is normal for a hood, believe me, its far worse for Juwel tanks :p

---

For me, i always give customer to price of the unit and once their panic attack is over.... i say..."or..." and sell them a light ballast (as in a previous post). All you have to do is get off the old white bulb holders and glue on the holders that come with the light ballast. Yes it will have a box outside the tank but for a fraction of the price... its worth it :p

There is that! Arcadia have new LED light units ballast and all, they arent that cheap but have something like 55,000 hours running time and they are designed to fit into T8 light unit holders!! :)

Most reactions

Back