Guppy Wanna Mate My Balloon Molly Watch This!

I believe mollies and guppies can cross breed so you may have some Muppies or Gollies!

Guppies and mollie will breed as will platys and swords, all you end up with is a mishmash of fish that arnt one thing or the other. di

guppys are horny little suckers, i had one try to impress my female betta. (she was not btw)
:lol:

I believe mollies and guppies can cross breed so you may have some Muppies or Gollies!

is there any picture or video that how fry will look?? any pic of muppies or gollies??

http://www.fishesninverts.com/blog/wp-content/gallery/mohanasundaram/hybrid_of_guppy_and_molly.jpg

This is a molly /guppy but i dont think the molly is a balloon molly.

Hello folks -

New to the forum; I have a 38 gallon tank, very basic with just a few fish that I've had for a few years.

I had four endler's livebearers in my tank until last week, after selling the majority of my overpopulated guppy crowd to our local fish store. Later on I added 2 mollies, thinking it would be relatively safe to have them together - and lo, 2 weeks ago three small muppies were born. They are pinkish (the molly is called a sunburst, I think - she's bright red/orange) and seem to be healthy and doing well. Right now they are hard to find in the tank, but I'll try to get a shot of them and post. Hopefully, my molly won't have any more surprises for me! I am sort of amused at the situation but didn't breed them intentionally.

Meanwhile, do those of you with prior experience with "muppies" find that the offspring are generally sterile/mules?

is there any picture or video that how fry will look?? any pic of muppies or gollies??

so they breed and within 2 weeks you had fry? wow wish mine could do that.

On a side note i currently (not intensional) have 2 cross breed balloon mollys, ive purposly kept the 2 and wont be allow anyone to have them to prevent them breeding again, its wrong and shouldn't be done on purpose but then thats MHO others have different views.

Although it is well known that guppies and mollies can theoretically cross, I have never seen the result of such a cross although I have kept both fish species together for prolonged periods of time. I must assume that such a cross will require that both the guppy and molly face a situation where they could not find any suitable mates of the correct species and were forced to mate with another species by their circumstances. Such a thing could happen, in theory, and lead to muppies being born. Unless you set this situation up intentionally, it probably will not happen in your tank.

Although it is well known that guppies and mollies can theoretically cross, I have never seen the result of such a cross although I have kept both fish species together for prolonged periods of time. I must assume that such a cross will require that both the guppy and molly face a situation where they could not find any suitable mates of the correct species and were forced to mate with another species by their circumstances. Such a thing could happen, in theory, and lead to muppies being born. Unless you set this situation up intentionally, it probably will not happen in your tank.

i had about 20 guppies (mixed males and females) and 2 female balloon mollys, plus a male balloon molly yet my ones interbread? it may not have happened with yours but mine didnt seem to mind!

Hello folks -

New to the forum; I have a 38 gallon tank, very basic with just a few fish that I've had for a few years.

I had four endler's livebearers in my tank until last week, after selling the majority of my overpopulated guppy crowd to our local fish store. Later on I added 2 mollies, thinking it would be relatively safe to have them together - and lo, 2 weeks ago three small muppies were born. They are pinkish (the molly is called a sunburst, I think - she's bright red/orange) and seem to be healthy and doing well. Right now they are hard to find in the tank, but I'll try to get a shot of them and post. Hopefully, my molly won't have any more surprises for me! I am sort of amused at the situation but didn't breed them intentionally.

Meanwhile, do those of you with prior experience with "muppies" find that the offspring are generally sterile/mules?

May still be pure mollies, as female livebearers can store enough sperm for upto 6 more lots of fry after mating with a single male :nod:

would be interesting to see some pictures of them to see

As might yours be razor, pictures would be great though

I am certain that any male guppy or molly will do his best to mate with anything present in the tank. I have even seen attempts by those males to mate with egg layers. These fish are worse than teenage boys when it comes to indiscriminate mating attempts. That does not mean that any future fry are truly a result of their attempts. As Lilfishie has said, common poeciliids can store sperm packets for as much as 6 months and fry born to them may well be the result of earlier matings, not the most recent attempt at mating. I suspect that many people who have seen fry after a single female of the wrong species was seen being approached by another species is simply dropping fry from an earlier encounter. The possibility of a molly / guppy cross is very real but is seldom the situation that we find.

I will have to take some pictures of them, TBH there very pretty looking, and from what i can tell i have a single male and female, there is anouther guppie in the tank but it doesnt seem to grow! its been about 1.5cm for a good 5 months now i reckon! the molly/gup are growing and was born AFTER this tiny guy was born, so im unsure what is wrong with him/her but either way he/she is surviving so im not about to just kill it of!

Just for you guys as reqeusted :)

IMG_8588.jpg

IMG_8586.jpg

IMG_8579.jpg

IMG_8572.jpg

Granted they could have been better pictures, But it is hard when they wont stay still!

Most reactions

Back