Guppy Tank

Siamese Fighting

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am seperating my guppies from my main tank this friday, 2 males and 2 females. Both females are pregnant, and one is already giving birth (about 2 fry a day it seems) for the moment. I want to set up a lovely breeding tank for them, and then gradually add a few back into my main tank.

What tank is best to do this? I don't mind spending up to £100 on another tank- WITH stand would be best.
Biorbs appear to be easy to manage, but looking online is a difficult way to "tank shop".

Any ideas?
Also, is there any fish at all that would live with young guppies without wanting to munch on them all?

Thanks

if you want to breed guppies then get a 2 - 3ft tank, grow loads of Java moss and you have loads of guppies before you know it.

just wanted to add...There should be 2-3 female guppies for one male. Otherwise the females get too exhausted and are constantly chased by male - this reduces their lifespan.

depends on the temp, higher the temp the shorter the fife spam, 18 months to 2.5 years is a good life though.

They currently live at 26 C.

When I have my new tank i'll add a couple more females, but won't I end up with literally hundreds of fry in the end? What's the best way to .. lessen the number?

keep some preacok rainbows or danios with them that will keep the numbers down.

I have 1 fry in a breeding net so far, he/she is on "First Bites" by Hikari.
He/she will be moved into it's own tank soon, with other fry. But for the next few days its living at the top of my current tank.

I am seperating my guppies from my main tank this friday, 2 males and 2 females. Both females are pregnant, and one is already giving birth (about 2 fry a day it seems) for the moment. I want to set up a lovely breeding tank for them, and then gradually add a few back into my main tank.

What tank is best to do this? I don't mind spending up to £100 on another tank- WITH stand would be best.
Biorbs appear to be easy to manage, but looking online is a difficult way to "tank shop".

Any ideas?
Also, is there any fish at all that would live with young guppies without wanting to munch on them all?

Thanks

Tbh, I would stay away from Bio-orbs.

They look reasonably cool sure

But the have a small opening which means a low surface area which means less oxygenated water - Your fish's health take priority realy

Most reactions

Back