Guppy Problem

B20luda

Reaction score
i have a 20 gallon tank with 1 male guppy and 3 female guppies...i also have a panda Cory catfish...and 5 neon tetras...i just recently got the tetras and they infected most of my fish with ICK...it dosent seem to be to bad as not all of them have the white spots on them...my male dosent but 2 females do and so does the cory...i have live plants in the tank also...the fish seem to be very active still and they always are aggresive when they eat...1 of my females just had 4 Fry and they seem ok...i have them in a intank breeding deal...i also should say that i have all the neons in a smaller 3.5 gallon tank that im treating with Quickcure...im also treating the 20 gallon with quickcure...im just wondering how often should i do water changes and what should my temp. be at...any advice would be great...BTW this is my first post and this looks like a great site...
Mitch

You should do water changes once a week. :) The temperature should be around 78 degrees Fahrenheit. To help treat Ick faster, raise the temperature up a few degrees slowly to around 80 degrees Fahrenheit.

If you have anymore questions, don't hesitate to ask! :D

:hi: to the forum too!

Use salt to treat ick.It will kill the ick.

For severly infected fish,put in a concentrated salt solution that contains enough salt and would not make the guppy struggle.Put for 15 min ,then dilute it.

The amount of salt for the salt bath should be lesser for neons as guppy can tolerate lots of salt

you shouldn't really add salt with corys, turn temp up to 30, sometimes you have to half dose with neons.

i heard that salt isnt good to use with live plants?...BTW they seems to be gettin better...nothing has died yet and i have my tank temp to78...i havent use salt yet because of my concern on the plants....when should i stop adding quik cure?

Just follow the instructions on the packet.

Wilder said:
you shouldn't really add salt with corys, turn temp up to 30, sometimes you have to half dose with neons.
Salt kills ick and does not let it survive at all.

Reduce the water on your tank to 30% and put a high concentration of salt but make sure the fishes do not struggle and put for 10 minutes.And take out your plants.

Then put back the water to the original level .

Cories can take salt and they are very hardy and survived my tubercolosis outbreak .

Neons cannot take much salt,so becareful.

A method used for guppies that i learnt from a guppy breeder who knew it from a fish farm owner.

And higher temperature is good as it shortens the life cycle of ick and make sure you have sufficient aeration

Don't use salt!!!! Bad for cories, can't imagine it's good for plants, there is no need that you have to use it!! Crank up the heat, do water changes and keep up with the meds, but for the love of the cory don't add salt!! Good luck!

salt may kill free swiming ICH but not in the whitespot stage or any of the others. your best bet is to treat with a name brand ICH med that contains malachite green and formalyn. if the spots start going away it means tha cycst's have opend and teh young ICH has droped to teh bottom.... treat you tank just how the directions say.
ICHs life cycle is only 3 days long @ 82+F but its 27 days long @ 74-75F so you realy shold up the temp.

and yes like everyone says salt will stress/harm cories. i tryed useing small ammounts and they woldnt calm down atall.... also too much MG/F ICH treatment does the same thing (i beleave that the name "salt of malachite green" wold be why). i found a 75% dosage worked for me with my cory habs witch are tiny little corys and cardnal tetras......

HTH

Once the parasite becomes a white spot on the skin, medication will not cure it.Only in the free swimming form will it be effective.Methyl blue, malachite green will kill all bacterial,including the good ones ,so be careful.

MY cories (all albino do not seemed to be stressed by salt) but i pay attention to my guppies more and many have died of fish tuberculosis :-(

I have used malachite green for 3 days to cure ich. It was all gone and beneficial bacteria did not suffer from this.

I only used half dose and it worked great, although the water was green for three days.

Just put some carbon cartridge in your filter when treatment is done and change 50% of the water and it should be fine

unless it a realy BIG outbrake, I would'nt bother treating, just rise the temp, and reguler water changes, I having the same prob, I have ADF, cory's and a clown loach. So for me treatment is out of the quetion.

It only my guppies and clown that is afected, watch your guppies carefuly, cos Ich can turn into the dreaded Guppie desease.

keep us posted.

well i didnt add salt..but i have been keeping up with the quick cure and have been doing water changes...my 20 gallon tank all the white spots on the fish are gone there is no trace on the fish...as for my 3.5 gallon with the neon tetras...they were worse and there the ones that also infected the rest of my fish...all are ok except 1...he still has a couple white spots...so i will continue treating that one...i cant adjust the temp in that tank cause it has no heater...it stays at about 73...i have been giving that tank full treatments even tho it says not to with tetras...they seem to be happy still, there gettin better tho and soon i can add them to the big tank...thanks for all the help guys/gals... also can ICH come back even tho u cant see it on the fish...Mitch

Chilling, can be a major caurse of Ich, one of the main reasons why fish normaly get ich when they fist introduced, is because of the journy home, and the water chills a little.

well thats what I read anyway.

Most reactions

Back