Guppy Deaths

I started with guppies, & everything looked fine for a few months.
Then over Christmas I lost most of them for an unknown reason as my water tests were fine.
Some fry survived though & I have about 6 I think that are now a few months old.
I won't be buying any more guppies, I have mostly platys now

After recently buying 4 male and 4 female guppys, many have died.
I moved 2 males into the tank downstairs and left 2 males and 3 females in the tank.
Then a male died, an had blood markings on his body as if attacked.
I now have 1 male and 2 females in the tank and this male also has blood markings on his body as shown in the picture below
I dont know what to do, All the other fish are fine, including 2 platys which were bought at the same time.
2mqiyz9.jpg

the first set of guppy i got ended up getting ich although they did not pass it on to any other fish. i lost all 6 guppy the last one to die was on the last day of treatment and seemed to be doing better than the rest had but then he got a red blotch like in your pic but on the side of its belly. sadly it died but i got some more a few weeks ago from a different place and these seem a lot healthier and show no signs of getting ill.

good luck and dont let this dis-hearten you. :good:

the first set of guppy i got ended up getting ich although they did not pass it on to any other fish. i lost all 6 guppy the last one to die was on the last day of treatment and seemed to be doing better than the rest had but then he got a red blotch like in your pic but on the side of its belly. sadly it died but i got some more a few weeks ago from a different place and these seem a lot healthier and show no signs of getting ill.

You did spot that the original post is 3½ years old, did you? :lol: :good:

Dose that really matter if its an old post? its just someone may find it useful to read this :cool:

I found this thread useful, it's certainly made me realise that I'm not the only one that has problems keeping guppies.

I've had my tank for about 10 years & I've nearly always had guppies in them but I can't think of a single one that lived for more than 6 months.

I bought 12 guppies 2 weeks ago & 2 have already died (1 was a pregnant female due to pop at any moment) & I have 4 more quarantined as they are showing symptoms og body/mouth rot.

The thing is it's only my guppies that are affected, all my other species are fine!

I've always admired guppies because I like watching the fry grow & it's the only fish that i've bred, if anyone knows of other easy species to breed then I'd certainly be interested.

You did spot that the original post is 3½ years old, did you? :lol: :good:

D'oh :rofl: :whistle:

Most reactions

Back