Guppy Breeder Box

fishfrenzy46

Reaction score
So my guppys have had at least 4 batches of fry and only 1 fry has survived. The only reason that fry survived is because I saw her hiding near some plants and quickly put her in a seperate container. She will be 2 months old on the 10th and is now living with the parents. I originally cut holes in a tupperware container and put panty hoes over it and pieces of pool noodle on the sides so it could float. That looked really ugly so at about 3 weeks old I let her into the tank and decided to let nature take its course. However I am really hoping to get at least a few fry to survive because I am buying a new tank and want some Guppies in there. 
So i had an old half gallon Betta tank (my betta is now in a heated, filtered 5 gallon). I drilled 2 holes in the back big enough to put suction cups I also had lying around. And drilled holes all over 3 sides of the half gallon and on the bottom with a 1/16 drill bit. 
Finally my question lol
Are the 1/16 holes small enough to keep the fry from escaping? 
Is this setup okay?
ogx75l.png

I cant speak on if the holes are the proper size as I used a store bought breeding box. Not sure how big your tank is but another idea some people like is putting marbles on top of the gravel and that provides way more hiding for fry to survive I did this before when I was trying to raise some.

I personally got to a large population so I decided to let nature be nature and don't do anything except I do have quite a few plants in there. I still get decent amount of survivors even when I do nothing!

I think your box should work but I also don't think they are very expensive at all you may want to consider buying one it nice to have the removable slits in it for after you take the mom out. A lid can come in handy to I once had a female that always got out, my guess is shed freak out and end up leaping over n back to main tank.

I have never regretted buying mine worth every dollar! :) Im not sure if you ever feed frozen foods like brine shrimp or blood worms but I got much larger broods when I fed a this as well as flakes.

Good luck :)

Most reactions

Back